F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Performance Air Filter Options?
ARMA SPEED

04-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
BMAISH
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Performance Air Filter Options?

Hey everyone from my research I can clearly see Intakes are a waste of time and money however does anyone have any advice on replacing the filter in the stock intake it thats worthwhile?

2013 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I have read that the 328i stock intake filter is as good as it gets.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
BMAISH
Rep

Thanks David
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

if anything cut out the carbon filter to increase a bit more air flow
the carbon filter is mandatory in most countries but not like anyone will know...
the purpose of this filter is to stop gas vapors from leaking out of you car while the engine is off
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Read articles on this in past, and if I recall; the story is that on naturally aspirated cars, "performance" air filters will in theory produce small gains - though often the gains fall within normal variants due to other inputs; air/motor temperature, different cars, etc. so the results posted tend to be very optimistic. Moreover, any gains are more likely in older car and even genuine gains are almost always near the top of the rpm range (were the most air flows) - so while sometimes the sound may make you feel faster, the, the gains are questionable. Now throw an air pump, aka turbo, and sensors and computers, and it's unlikely you'd see any quantifiable gain - thought sound may change...and make you feel faster
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
Read articles on this in past, and if I recall; the story is that on naturally aspirated cars, "performance" air filters will in theory produce small gains - though often the gains fall within normal variants due to other inputs; air/motor temperature, different cars, etc. so the results posted tend to be very optimistic. Moreover, any gains are more likely in older car and even genuine gains are almost always near the top of the rpm range (were the most air flows) - so while sometimes the sound may make you feel faster, the, the gains are questionable. Now throw an air pump, aka turbo, and sensors and computers, and it's unlikely you'd see any quantifiable gain - thought sound may change...and make you feel faster
The reason naturally aspirated engines make a difference with intakes is due to the fact it relies on air being pushed into the engine for combustion. it does suck in air on its own but very little.

turbos and superchargers have a motor that pulls air into the engine so intakes dont make a huge difference because its going to pull the same amount of air regardless of how much air flow there is

getting a cold air intake will THEORETICALLY help a turbo engine better because it will suck in "cold" air and the intercooler will cool it even more before going into the combustion chamber.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
K&N

I've used K&N filters in all my vehicles. I seem to think it helps with an increase in mileage and performance. If nothing else, they come with a one million mile warranty. They need to be cleaned about every 50,000 miles as long as you live in an average environment and don't drive in dusty areas. The cleaning kits are available at any parts store.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
The reason naturally aspirated engines make a difference with intakes is due to the fact it relies on air being pushed into the engine for combustion. it does suck in air on its own but very little.

turbos and superchargers have a motor that pulls air into the engine so intakes dont make a huge difference because its going to pull the same amount of air regardless of how much air flow there is

getting a cold air intake will THEORETICALLY help a turbo engine better because it will suck in "cold" air and the intercooler will cool it even more before going into the combustion chamber.
Regardless of NA or boosted, they are sucking air in via a vacuum effect.

Also I cannot even begin to explain how wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
its going to pull the same amount of air regardless of how much air flow there is
is. That being said, the stock airbox appears to be the most efficient. The only purpose for changing intake in this car is for sound, which may or may not be worth it to you considering some dynos have actually shown a drop in power.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
BMAISH
Rep

Thank you all for your input I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

K&N Filter

I've just recently swapped out the Mahle paper filter for a K&N. I am still using the stock box and I can honestly feel a difference when accelerating. I use to have a cammed dodge charger and I can tell you this much that there is a difference! I drive a 320i if anyone is wondering. Maybe you won't see the same results from the 328's.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAISH View Post
Hey everyone from my research I can clearly see Intakes are a waste of time and money however does anyone have any advice on replacing the filter in the stock intake it thats worthwhile?

2013 328i
Here is a foam high-flow air filter option:

http://www.hpashop.com/HPA-F30-N20-H...Air-Filter.htm
Appreciate 0