F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > My BMW Remote
ARMA SPEED

04-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Lostsole
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

My BMW Remote

I have had my 2012 328i since August 2012. I have never been able to log into this app. Each time an error message pops up saying "Authentication error. Either username or password is wrong"

I've worked with BMW Assist since August & they've submitted multiple trouble tickets to no avail. Each time they tell me it is fixed, it never allows me to log in.

The suggested fixes that they've directed were deleting and reinstalling the app the next day, downloading software updates in the car, changing the email, changing the pass code, etc... Also, I use all caps for the entire username (my email address) and my pass code is numeric.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, were you able to get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Can you login to BMW Assist online? In other words, does your email and password work anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Lostsole
Rep

Where do you login online? I was told USA users don't have an online login. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsole View Post
Where do you login online? I was told USA users don't have an online login. Thanks!
Well, I would have sworn that after I got activated by talking to a live person that I logged onto a BMW site using my user name and password, but I cannot seem to find it.

It is correct that the ConnectedDrive site login goes nowhere if you a US owner, but it does try. If you log in it accepts the login and sends you a blank page site. if you do not have a valid login name and password you get an authentication error. You might try just to see if the login info you have is valid.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Are you entering the email in cap? If not you have to do it.
      04-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
orma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2014 335i w/ PPK.

This is a long shot but if your password contains non-alphanumeric characters such as % or + in it, try a simpler password that only containers letters and numbers. This is a total shot in the dark but if they aren't url encoding the data before passing it to the server, then authentication could fail depending on the password. This would absolutely be a bug in the app.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, make sure that your VIN number is correctly associated with your user name and password in the BMW Assist records.

Last edited by bimmermeupscoty; 04-08-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

My email and password had to be in ALL CAPS, and I had to call BMW to have them reset it after I failed the login too many times.

I also have BMW Assist, so I am not sure if that is a requirement or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Lostsole
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty
Quote:
Well, I would have sworn that after I got activated by talking to a live person that I logged onto a BMW site using my user name and password, but I cannot seem to find it.

It is correct that the ConnectedDrive site login goes nowhere if you a US owner, but it does try. If you log in it accepts the login and sends you a blank page site. if you do not have a valid login name and password you get an authentication error. You might try just to see if the login info you have is valid.
Thanks for the tip. I went to the site and it came back as invalid. I'll check with BMW Assist to see if they have the correct VIN# as another poster suggested.

Per other posts; yes, I'm entering in all caps and my password is only numeric with no special characters.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I went to the site and it came back as invalid. I'll check with BMW Assist to see if they have the correct VIN# as another poster suggested.

Per other posts; yes, I'm entering in all caps and my password is only numeric with no special characters.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Is your iPhone jailbroken?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Lostsole
Rep

No, it's stock. With latest OS updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
My advice:

Insist that BMW delete your account and create a new one. This way you know you have a real and total reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
Lostsole
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
My advice:

Insist that BMW delete your account and create a new one. This way you know you have a real and total reset.
That sounds like the thing to do. The VIN was associated correctly, so the next stop is the dealer. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like the thing to do. The VIN was associated correctly, so the next stop is the dealer. Thanks.
I think you will have better luck with BMW online resetting your account, as I suspect that the dealer will call them too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Just push the SOS button and talk to them. They will verify your e-mail address, account info and should be able to get you up and running. That's what they are there for and what you paid for. They are the most familiar with getting this stuff working.

Note: The e-mail address doesn't have to be in upper case, it just that the dealer entered it into the system that way. Mine is in lower case.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

I changed iPhones and of course, I couldn't log in the Remote app with the new phone and of course, forgot the my user id and password.

Called the 1-800 number and after a few steps, they verified my user id (all in caps they reminded) and password.

Tried a few times to log in (connection error, etc) the Remote app and finally took. Now it works with limited capabilities - no horn sound or light flash for us here in North America.

The kicker is that when I attempt to log in the BMW Assist website with the same information, an error occurred after logging in. The odd thing is that the log in portal appears to be in the UK.

So, either get BMW Assist to give you your current user id and password or start from scratch.
      04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post
Now it works with limited capabilities - no horn sound or light flash for us here in North America.
The flashing lights and horn honk do work in US. The preconditioning of the air in the car does not work in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Hmmm, I should check my app again, I initially downloaded from the UK site, maybe I should delete and use the US site.

Thanks for the clarification
      04-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post
Hmmm, I should check my app again, I initially downloaded from the UK site, maybe I should delete and use the US site.

Thanks for the clarification
Just remember that the lag between issuing the command and it happening is usually one to two minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
Lostsole
Rep

Success!

Well, I finally went to the dealer for a different service issue, which they handled promptly. I talked to my salesperson and he deleted the old account and created a new one. I called BMW Assist to re-activate the account. They said it was already active and ready to go. When I downloaded and ran the app, it worked like a charm!

I locked the doors from the app, which worked much quicker than what other posters have experienced. 1 minute & 7 seconds! About the same with flashing headlights, although I'm not sure how frequently ill need that.

Thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

Vehicle locator wont show you position of car if greater than 1 KM due to privacy, what a joke!!
Appreciate 0