F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M suspension vs adaptive
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

M suspension vs adaptive

Does anyone have any feedback on the differences between these two types of suspension. I currently have the Msport suspension, but I'm looking to upgrade to the adaptive. Msport suspension just sits too high. Does anyone have feedback as to whether or not it's worth it? Or any feedback at all?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

You cannot upgrade to M Adaptive suspension, provided your car has already been built. M Adaptive has wiring harnesses that go to each strut and you won't have any of those harnesses in your non M Adaptive car. Not to mention the module(s) and other parts that go along with it.

I think you'll want to look at the M Performance suspension kit. http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...subcat1=183175
      04-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I'm not sure it's feasible to upgrade M Sport static suspension to M Sport Dynamic Suspension. There are several lowering options available, that's really your only choice in regards to dropping the car some. The Static and Dynamic suspension both have the same ride height anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on the differences between these two types of suspension. I currently have the Msport suspension, but I'm looking to upgrade to the adaptive. Msport suspension just sits too high. Does anyone have feedback as to whether or not it's worth it? Or any feedback at all?

Thanks
For reference, M adaptive is not any lower than the stock Msport suspension, so you won't get a lower ride height.
I don't think it would be worth the cost to retrofit the adaptive dampers.
You'd be better off getting the BMW M Performance suspension.

If you want a lower ride height, then look into either an aftermarket set of springs, or perhaps the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs are lower and firmer rate as most aftermarket springs are.
The full M Performance suspension kit comes with different dampers and a lower and firmer set of springs.
Some owners with the M adaptive system have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with positive results.
And also owners with the sport suspension have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with good results.

The sport and M adaptive suspensions are very similar in that they use the same ride height springs, and the spring rates are very likely to be the same or near same.
When setting the M adaptive to full sport mode it doesn't feel any firmer than the sport suspensions static tuning. The difference is that the M adaptive can "adapt" the internal damping circuit using electronically controlled valves, so that there is better damping control over different surfaces and bumps.
I have M adaptive on my Msport and comparing it to the standard sport suspension I don't feel too much difference, but that's because I haven't had extensive comparison time on a variety of surfaces.
The adaptive dampers offer the ability to improve damping, and the greater difference is that one can set the adaptive suspension to 'comfort' mode, which results in a noticeably smoother ride on rougher surfaces and highway cruising. But, the trade off is that there is more body roll and leaning in harder turns.
BMW missed the boat on this one. The M adaptive suspension offers not much, if any, better "sport" performance over the stock sport suspension.
It would be a much better value if the M adaptive was between the stock sport and M Performance suspensions. The springs should be at least
20%-25% firmer over the sport set up.
Appreciate 1
rfcoolz39.00
      04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Rpm this is great feedback! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

The sport and M adaptive suspensions are very similar in that they use the same ride height springs, and the spring rates are very likely to be the same or near same.
The springs & anti-roll bars are identical, their part numbers are the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
For reference, M adaptive is not any lower than the stock Msport suspension, so you won't get a lower ride height.

If you want a lower ride height, then look into either an aftermarket set of springs, or perhaps the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs are lower and firmer rate as most aftermarket springs are.
The full M Performance suspension kit comes with different dampers and a lower and firmer set of springs.
Some owners with the M adaptive system have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with positive results.
And also owners with the sport suspension have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with good results.

When setting the M adaptive to full sport mode it doesn't feel any firmer than the sport suspensions static tuning. The difference is that the M adaptive can "adapt" the internal damping circuit using electronically controlled valves, so that there is better damping control over different surfaces and bumps.
I have M adaptive on my Msport and comparing it to the standard sport suspension I don't feel too much difference, but that's because I haven't had extensive comparison time on a variety of surfaces.
The adaptive dampers offer the ability to improve damping, and the greater difference is that one can set the adaptive suspension to 'comfort' mode, which results in a noticeably smoother ride on rougher surfaces and highway cruising. But, the trade off is that there is more body roll and leaning in harder turns.
BMW missed the boat on this one. The M adaptive suspension offers not much, if any, better "sport" performance over the stock sport suspension.
It would be a much better value if the M adaptive was between the stock sport and M Performance suspensions. The springs should be at least
This is great info... thanks for sharing! I have been contemplating options for a new F30 purchase, and I have found not one BMW person who can actually explain the differences between stock suspension, M Sport Suspension, and M Adaptive Suspension...

Regarding the M Adaptive suspension... I'm still a little fuzzy on how it fits into the line-up on the different cars. Is the M Adaptive suspension technology just an add-on that interacts with whatever dampers are on the car? Or is it a complete kit with special dampers/springs, etc. on whatever vehicle it comes equipped on?

For example, on a RWD M Sport F30, you get the M Sport suspension, and you can opt for the M Adaptive suspension as well. On an xDrive M Sport F30, the M Sport suspension is not included - but you can still opt for the M Adaptive suspension. Would these two cars be running on the same dampers? (Maybe just the springs are different, which would account for the ride height difference...?) Or are the dampers themselves different on RWD vs xDrive applications of the M Adaptive Suspension as well?

Basically, I would prefer to go with an xDrive F30, but I don't want to sacrifice much (if any) in terms of handing capabilities. I would be willing to do a little work aftermarket (stiffer springs, stiffer ARBs) as long as it's not too expensive, but I'd rather avoid spending thousands on a whole new suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:

Are you saying M Adaptive is pretty much the same as the M Sport passive suspension when set in Sport/Sport+ modes? And, M Adaptive is softer than Passive in Comfort/Eco Pro?
      04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
jenkspj
Jenkspj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SOON: BMW 320i Xdrive Touring

Thanks to RPM90 and others for making this clear.
I'm on the point of ordering a new M Sport F31 Touring with x Drive and was wondering if I should go with the Adaptive suspension.
It seems that the comfort mode gives the driver a stock non M sport ride as an option: useful on what pass for roads in South Wiltshire.
I have - not for much longer - and Evoque with adaptive dampers and it makes a big difference.

Any other input on this question very welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkspj View Post
Thanks to RPM90 and others for making this clear.
I'm on the point of ordering a new M Sport F31 Touring with x Drive and was wondering if I should go with the Adaptive suspension.
It seems that the comfort mode gives the driver a stock non M sport ride as an option: useful on what pass for roads in South Wiltshire.
I have - not for much longer - and Evoque with adaptive dampers and it makes a big difference.

Any other input on this question very welcome!
If you aren't autocrossing, I'd get the adaptive and call it a day.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
If you aren't autocrossing, I'd get the adaptive and call it a day.
Why?

From what most people on this forum say, the std m-sport suspension is plenty compliant in comfort mode. If the only benefit of adaptive M suspension is in comfort mode (and all it is in electronic actuators, no actual mechanical difference), then what's the point?

Now, if you start adding aftermarket springs/coilovers, that poses a different question.
      04-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Why?

From what most people on this forum say, the std m-sport suspension is plenty compliant in comfort mode. If the only benefit of adaptive M suspension is in comfort mode (and all it is in electronic actuators, no actual mechanical difference), then what's the point?

Now, if you start adding aftermarket springs/coilovers, that poses a different question.
Yes, adaptive on the M Sport model - sorry I wasn't clearer above.

The M performance is valved more aggressive than the M Sport...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Why?

The adaptive's Sport setting is firmer than the standard M Sport. The Comfort setting is more comfortable than the non-sport. It covers a wider range of situations.

The best part, though, is when you are cornering you can feel the inside front shock tighten up and reduce roll through the corner.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
The adaptive's Sport setting is firmer than the standard M Sport. The Comfort setting is more comfortable than the non-sport. It covers a wider range of situations.

The best part, though, is when you are cornering you can feel the inside front shock tighten up and reduce roll through the corner.
man, that's not what RPM90 says above, so now i'm somewhat confused.

i also researched further that it seems that the M peformance springs are not compatible with the adaptive suspension, only the std msport suspension.
      04-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post

The issue is we have to make clear what we mean by "firmer" when comparing the two suspensions.
In terms of all around suspension firmness, which is more about the spring rate.
Even pro reviewers have said the same thing I am saying, which is that the adaptive system set to sport is as firm as the standard non adaptive sport suspension.

But that really need to be better explained and it needs to be understood that there is still another advantage to the adaptive dampers that the standard sport can't do, and that's that the dampers can alter their internal valving to better compensate and control the springs movement over different road surfaces. That is the big benefit of the adaptive damper over the standard sport damper.

As you describe the system can firm up the valving in certain situations to adapt and control the springs over a wide variety of road conditions, where the standard system is always using the same non adaptive valving.
However, is the M adaptive valving any firmer at it's firmest level compared to the standard sport dampers?
That's where I and others say it is not.
At it's firmest valving the M adaptive and the standard sport feel pretty much the same.
The difference is that the M adaptive can apply a wider range of variable damping control over different roads surfaces.

Ride firmness/stiffness is mainly based on the spring rate, and since both systems have pretty much the same springs the firmness will feel pretty much the same.
How that spring's motion is controlled is where the adaptive damper has the advantage. For example, on sharper hits the valving can quickly alter allowing the spring to compress faster and further before the damper grabs it, which can be felt as better compliance over sharper bumps. The non adaptive can't compensate and thus may feel harsher over the same bump.
Also, the adaptive damper can alter it's rebound valving to compensate for road surface and can either slow down or speed up the springs rebound, thus giving a potentially better all around suspension.

There is also of course the more noticeable effect of setting the adaptive to "comfort" mode, which allows the internal valving to allow even greater spring movement resulting in a softer smoother ride compared to the standard sport suspension.

I didn't mean to imply that the M adaptive suspension has no benefit over the standard sport. I just wanted to point out that the M adaptive is not really a "firmer" sport suspension compared to the standard sport suspension as the M adaptive doesn't have firmer rate springs nor shorter springs.
But, the M adaptive does possess the ability to have "firmer" valving if and when needed, and that makes it a better all around suspension.
Is it worth the added cost of $1000 along with the variable ratio steering?
I don't think so. I did it as I am leasing so the actual cost is less than $1000 to me. If I were buying to keep my 3 series I think I would spend that money on getting the M performance suspension, which would really make a difference.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-27-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
      04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
man, that's not what RPM90 says above, so now i'm somewhat confused.

i also researched further that it seems that the M peformance springs are not compatible with the adaptive suspension, only the std msport suspension.
You can put the M Performance system in an F30 that has the M adaptive system. But, you will lose the ability to change the dampers setting, which is not big loss if you're going after a better sport oriented suspension that will truly be firmer all around. It will need coding as well as the adaptive dampers will be replaced and I'm sure the computer will be looking for them.

The M performance suspension is a kit that includes new springs and dampers designed to work with those firmer springs.
I'm looking into just putting on the M Performance's stiffer springs and retaining the M adaptive dampers.
That's pretty much the same thing as someone keeping the stock sport dampers and getting an aftermarket firmer set of springs.
By keeping the M adaptive dampers I'll retain the advantage of self adaptive damping, along with being able to select a softer long distance ride.
The problem that could arise is that the M adaptive dampers won't have enough damping range to fully control the firmer springs, so that it could become over sprung and under damped, or too heavily sprung and under damped. That ride would be annoyingly bumpy.
But I don't think that would happen.

The only way to know is to try it. Some of our members have installed shorter and firmer after market springs and kept the stock sport dampers and have reported great and very acceptable results indicating that the M adaptive should have enough range to handle the M Performance springs, which are about as firm as the after market.

I'm hoping someone will try this first so that if it doesn't work I won't have wasted money.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
legaleye3000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i; 2015 X3

Can someone explain the difference between the different suspensions? I have the modern line. What's the difference between my car vs the sport line? Sorry for the noobness.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
Can someone explain the difference between the different suspensions? I have the modern line. What's the difference between my car vs the sport line? Sorry for the noobness.
the sport has firmer springs so car sits lower and handles better, and it has beefier sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Wanderer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i XDrive

I'm looking to purchase a 320i M Sport XDrive and have found out that with the XDrive the normally standard MSport suspension is not available, but you can add the MSport adaptive for around £500. Is it worth it?

Also is it better bought with the 18 inch wheels rather than the 19 inch. I've read elsewhere that the 18inch work better with the adaptive sports suspension.

Feedback appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

OP - My M-Sport's "Track your BMW" page has both M Sport and Adaptive M included in the M-Sport package... if you go try to build a 2013 you can't even add it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
OP - My M-Sport's "Track your BMW" page has both M Sport and Adaptive M included in the M-Sport package... if you go try to build a 2013 you can't even add it
The list you are showing are the options available for the Msport line, notice the different trim options?

In the US market you can get the
M Perf suspension put on a Sport line and on an Msport as long as the
Msport does not have the M adaptive suspension.

The Msport does NOT come with the M adaptive system, that is a separate option that comes in the
DH/dynamic handling pkg. that includes VSS, that's in the US market. I don't think the M adaptive comes on the Msport in any market as it's an options item.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The springs & anti-roll bars are identical, their part numbers are the same.
That is interesting.

Here's some info I posted in a different thread.

"I recently found this post and found it interesting, and think others may find it interesting as well. I can't confirm the information.
I was not aware of some of the differences with the M adaptive suspension compared to the standard sport suspension.

Here is the post:
Looking at realoem it appears that one difference between the m variable suspension and the regular sport suspension is sway bar size. The comparison is 22mm sport, 22.5mm m variable (front). Rear sway bars appear to be 22mm sport, 23mm m variable. Assuming this is correct, I ordered my F30 with the M variable suspension as it may (note cautious hedging there) have a tad less understeer and slightly less body roll. Not that I would ever use my BMW in a way to appreciate those distinctions but it is just a nice theory "

That poster claims that realoem shows a difference between sport and Msport.
What is your source for those items being identical?
Appreciate 0