E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > What Do I Do About My Number Plate?! Need Advice

04-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

What Do I Do About My Number Plate?! Need Advice

basically i want to transfer my private plate on my previous car which is a honda (that i plan to sell) to my new BMW. Only thing is i do not have insurance on that honda anymore but it has 11months MOT and 5 months tax. I have also lost the MOT certificate and insurance document for the honda.

I know you need V5 for both cars which i have got and i can sort a MOT certificate out through the garage no problem. And i have the MOT certificate for the BMW.

I rung up DVLA and they said i need to get V14 form? to declare the car SORN?is this because i have no insurance on the honda? but i want to sell the car with 5months tax left and 11 months MOT.

Do i have any other choice or i have to do it this way?

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

As the law is now, you are illegal because you have a car that isn't insured.
Even if the original insurance has been transferred to another car, because, as you know, No Claims Bonus cannot be assigned to more than one car by the Insurance Robbers (cars are dangerous, drivers aren't!!!)

You may as well declare the Honda Sorn, get the tax money back for 5 months.
You'll need the Honda MOT so the DVLA can reissue one with the replacement number.

You can see the Honda (quickly) with the private plate on, but the new owner has no obligation to transfer the private plate to you after sale. Even if he signs a declaration that he will transfer the number, in the eyes of the DVLA, you lose all rights to it.

It does take a few weeks to get the new V5 back from DVLA after a plate change, and you'll need that to sell the car (would you buy a car without a V5??).

So, declare SORN, wait for DVLA to do the paperwork.
Or sell the car as-is and gamble on the honesty and integrity of the new owner. Your call!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

Thanks Mike! Great advice i will definately declare the car sorn first. My issue is not selling the car I am not in the rush for that i am more in the rush for putting my private plate on my new 3series lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Depending on where you live, quickest thing to do is to go to your nearest DVLA office and deal with the paperwork in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Depending on where you live, quickest thing to do is to go to your nearest DVLA office and deal with the paperwork in person.
Unlike in the past, when you could get a change "over the counter", it now has to go to Swansea. All the local office does is check the documents and takes your money. You get a slip to buy number plates - that you already have - but you won't know the new number until the V5 comes back. You won't necessarily get the car's original number back.

Saying that, I always go to the local office!

Mike
Appreciate 0