F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 Touring
Studio RSR

04-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

F31 Touring

Guys I would be very grateful for the benefit of your advice with regards to the 3 series touring and what engine / transmission you would choose. I'm afraid BMW is blowing my mind with the amount of engines / options.

I've always driven manual cars in the past and in all honesty would prefer to stick with manual. I did test drive a 320i x drive yesterday which was an auto and I thought is was very good but still think i'd prefer manual.

With regards to engines I think i need a petrol as I don't do a huge mileage. I know many of you would opt for the diesals but my mileage is only about 9kk per year so don't think for me it's worth it. 320i I drove yesteday seemed pretty good but I wonder if I should be looking to the 328i given the touring is quite a big car.

Finally do you think a manual would be out of place in the 328i? I have noted the majority of the 328is on the AUC site are automatic.

Many thanks in advance and any advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

The auto is very very good, like you I always had manual before but had to have the sport auto box once I had driven it. I have a 320i saloon and love it, easily quick enough to get you in to trouble imo. The 328i is quite a bit more powerful, my budget wouldnt stretch to it and in all honesty Im struggling to find opportunity to stretch the legs on the 320i, so other than for bragging rights - the 320i is all the engine I need right now. Im not sure on how performance is effected in the touring though, but bear in mind xdrive adds weight so if you weren't thinking of getting that then that might be a small factor.

Go for a test drive in a 328 is all I can say. Depends entirely on what level of performance you require and how youll drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Like you I normally drive manual shifts but decided on the 8 speed sport auto gearbox. It's superb and having had the vehicle for a month very pleased I made that choice, will it affect re-sale values? yes I would think so unlike other options. I'm not a high mileage driver either, but did get a 320D mostly because I prefer the low revving torque that a diesel provides. It has more than enough power for most drivers! There is nothing like a long test drive. Let us know what you opt for....

04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@rich100:

For me the 8 Speed Sport Auto is the way to go. I always had manuals, but once I drove the F30 with the Auto, I was converted. It's truly wonderful.

Try comparing the 320d, 320i and 328i all in sDrive. If I had to choose out of these 3, I would drop the 320i. Most reviewers feel that the 320d is the golden nugget. But I would choose the 328i..

As for xDrive, I cannot advise as I've never driven an xDrive.

But always order the M Sport with Adaptive Suspension.
      04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Always been a manual driver till I got the R32 with DSG. Ordered sport auto this time as its almost the BMW equivalent, just as efficient as manual, cleaner, and you kinda get the best of both worlds.

I went 320d despite doing low mileage each year - I wanted that £400 per year tax saving over the R32, the low down torque, decent performance and economy.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

330d, a storming all rounder with decent running costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Thanks a lot all much appreciated.

I think I found the auto to be a bit unusual as i've never driven one before. strange feeling initally of not knowing what gear I was in and not feeling in complete control. Luckily the dealership was on a fairly quiet industrial estate becasue within the first few minutes i did a fairly violent emergency stop when I sbconciously attempted to change gear and my foot went straight on the brake. ...Muppet... Very happy with the brakes though. I would probably need to drive it again to be fair to it.

RE the diesels, would DPF not be an issue with low mileage? I read a bit about this and I guess thats what put me off the diesal but maybe this isn't a major problem with BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Regarding the Auto I think you love it or hate it. I've always thought manuals were best till I drove the 8 Speed Auto. Now I definitely think that my next car will be an auto, the trick is to take your left leg out the equation!

Regarding diesel, I do about 6,000 per year and always buy diesel. Always see the extra MPG and resell values a bonus. I've never had any problems with DPF, mine gets a motorway run maybe once a month if that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

When i was in a similar situation, on the choice of engine, i had three test drives in a 320i xdrive MT Saloon, 320d MT Touring & 328i AT Saloon.

I'm used to a petrol & manual, but drove the AT & was very impressed but wasn't to sure. Didn't want to go for an AT & end up not liking it. The last auto i had was around 30 years ago & got rid of quickly. Although different nowadays. Regarding the diesel, i don't do enough mileage, around 10k, to justify the price & possible DPF issues.

The F31 is a nice spacious motor, if you want plenty of luggage space.
Xdrive for the winter handling.
I was only in the market for the F30 & choose the 328i manual M-Sport with good spec for the driving set up purpose, addaptive suspension, variable steering & M-sport brakes.
Only had it a month & done nearly 3k, although the mileage will reduce during the winter i suppose.

Best to get a good dealership that has all the models your interested in & are willing to let you loose in allowing extended test drives.

Good luck & take time to make the right choice. This forum helped me immensely.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
jenkspj
Jenkspj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SOON: BMW 320i Xdrive Touring

I went for an F31 320i Xdrive MS with Auto Sport box.
Why?
I have driven autos for most of hte last 20 years: initally because of back problems and in thiose dats the slow 4 speed autos were unexciting. Over the years auto boxes have improved and this box is simply amazing:I very much doubt that anyone other than the STIG could use a manual box better.
The x0drive is a more complex matter:it is NOT just for winter, sadly Audi is correct when they say that 4WD adds to performance all year. I had an Audi TT 225 Quattro some years ago and the ability to get power down i amazing: yes no more tail slides or drifting, just GO. On my test drives, the 320D and 320i in the same body, transmission and X drive chassis I prefered the immediate response of the petrol engine and the way when in sport mode it worked with the box in sport mode. We habe a twisty bit on a local country road between Salisbury and Downton and the way the petrol x drive shot round the corner and up the hill was stunning.

So, those are my reasons....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Thanks to all for your extremely helpful advice so far. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 30D MSport, Carbon Black

Rich, have another go with the auto especially the Sport Auto- you can pick and choose what gear you use if you really want either through the paddles or the stick....after a while you'll work out the car can read your mind in most situations and just does a much better job than you!
I went for the 328i which is quite simply awesome, strong pull in any situation and when you get to around 3k on the revs the world becomes a very small place very quickly and just as importantly it does it in a rather cosseting manner-grown up when you want and Q car when you want to embarrass most cars on the road.

Truth is anyone of them will be a great car- just down to the one you prefer
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

320i is a nice engine but despite being a turbo needs a few revs to really wake up but saying that it does pull really smoothly from low revs, just don't expect it to lug like a Diesel. On the positive side it's smooth and quiet really getting into its stride at 4K when the diesels finished and has a nice rasp to go with it. The M Sport also has a shorter gear leaver that reduces the throws a little, mine was a bit stiff in the lower gears from new but is loosening up now. Good luck with your choice but whatever it is I don't think you'll be disappointed as they are all class leading!
      05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Thanks a lot guys.

I think all things considered (mainly budget) I'll be going with the 320i.

I have been looking on the brokers web sites and discounts seem to be very keen at present.

I've enquired at a couple of dealers about discounts. The first was only able to offer 4%. And i am waiting on a response from a second. Brokers on the other hand range from 9 to 14%!

I know that a lot of you are quite seasoned negotiators do you have any tips or advice in this regard?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I haven't driven an F30 manual but have had a selection of Bmw gearboxes in the cars i have owned in th last few years (E46 M3s SMG & man, E92 m3 DCT & manual. I currently have an X5 40d and a Z4MC ). Autos have improved immensely, I seldom used the SMG in auto mode as it was very clunky but i found that in the M3 comp pack I used the auto mode a lot in town and motorway driving and in the X5 have hardly used the paddles.

It must also must be remembered that BMW don't exactly make the slickest manual gearboxes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

If your mileage is to remain at 9K it may be worth checking out leasing. Not sure if there are any good deals around at the moment but it worked for me.