BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Just Friends / FWB / Friend Zone...All questions here

05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Just Friends / FWB / Friend Zone...All questions here

Can Men and Women Be "Just Friends"?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...e-just-friends

Escape The Friend Zone: From Friend to Girlfriend or Boyfriend
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...d-or-boyfriend

Avoiding the Friend Zone: Becoming a Girlfriend or Boyfriend
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...d-or-boyfriend
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Do you work for that website?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

No but I do enjoy reading Psychology articles.
My major was in engineering and i was two classes shy of having a second major in Psychology and 3 classes short in getting a third major in Sociology.
I find their articles a bit dry but very insightful. They are at a higher reading level which is nice but a bit thick to simply skim and enjoy.
Most often I find myself printing out the articles, underlining and making notes for study later.
And as I find these great articles I share them with friends and loved one.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I did not read the links yet but I'll post what I know to be correct and will then see how close my thinking is to the so-called professional.
Can Men and Women be Just Friends?
Yes, under one and only one circumstance: The man is not physically attracted to the woman or is already in a relationship. Men can be friends with women but will put a priority on their sexual needs first. If he's not getting laid then any sexual vibe he gets from a female "friend" will be a distraction and may even be used to the girl's advantage if she knows this and can get him to go to IKEA with her and assemble the couch, bookcase and TV stand she just bought. But once a man's sexual needs are satisfied and/or is in a relationship he can benefit from plutonic relationships with women. It should be noted however that a man who is sexually fulfilled is likely getting most if not all of his recreational activity on with other men. Women can more easily be friends with men because it is a simple fact that men make good friends to have. That is why so many women take advantage of "nice guys" to fulfill all the needs women have save for intimacy. And women have lots of needs that might not be getting addressed by their boyfriends. They will get angry when you counsel men on leaving the friend zone. Many women will admit thy get along better with the opposite sex and have more male friends than female friends. There's a great joke in the Family Guy Star Wars parody when Louis learns about the only other woman in the galaxy and her immediate response is: "I don’t like her!"
Escape the Friend Zone:
For men, you have to make the girl want you and nothing makes a girl want you than the fact the other girls might want you. In other words, disappear and stop being so readily available to her when she decides she wants to repaint the kitchen and you're the perfect guy to help! When she calls to ask you out to XYZ for a friendly brunch so she can complain about the rude jerk she's been sleeping with - tell her: "Thanks, but I'm meeting up with the cute girl I met on my lunch break yesterday. I didn't tell you about her?" CLICK! That will send her reeling. If she responds with: "Wow, good for you. I didn't know you were such a ladies man," casually reply: "There's a lot you don't know but I actually find your obtuseness kind of charming." CLICK! Now her mind is in overdrive. How is it that her safe, dependable emotional pillow is not available but instead is with another, possibly prettier girl? Next time she calls, don't answer. On a subsequent call or text be brief and laconic. Flirt a bit but don't give yourself away. Make her chase you. It's easier to escape the friend zone if you were never there in the first place but by rattling the comfort zone she once had with you she will hopefully begin to see a better side to you. It's not guaranteed you'll get there but women love unpredictability and excitement.
For women, put out.
Avoiding the Friend Zone:
For men, there's a lot you must do but the short and skinny is to make yourself desirable. Women love a challenge. Telling a girl you just met she's the most beautiful women ever is the worst way to kill any sexual attraction she might have had for you, yet it amazes me how many guys still approach women with this tactic as if she'll be so flattered that a guy has complimented on how hot she is. News flash: hot girls know they're hot. They're reminded of this every day when they go out in public and receive the eyeballs of every man of every age in sight. When a woman knows you're attracted to her she will size you up for friend zone material. If he thinks I'm beautiful he'll certainly let me borrow his car so I can take my shedding dog to the groomer 20 miles away. It's the aloof, not-impressed guy who has the best shot at her.
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']For women, put out.[/FONT]
      05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Looks like I was pretty close. In the first article the author writes: "Men were more likely to see sex and romantic potential in an opposite sex friend as a benefit (women primarily saw it as a cost)."

That's similar to what I wrote above. Men who are not getting their sexual needs taken care of will look to their female friends for that. Women, on the other hand, have no desire to sleep with their male friends because 1) they aren't sexually attracted to traits that make men good "friends" and 2) they're likely getting their sexual needs satisfied by a boyfriend - but not the emotional, spiritual and other needs she can get from her male "friend."

The most telling part of the article: "Women also had their own unique costs and benefits of opposite-sex friendships. They were more likely to experience the benefit of their male friends paying for outings and enjoyed the physical protection of those friends (men saw these as costs of time and money). Women also enjoyed the ability to network through male friends. However, as noted above, women found it costly when those male friends desired sex or romance. They also disliked when their male friends caused difficulty in the women's other dating efforts."

In other words, male friends, know your role and stay put: pay for my dinner, let me borrow your car, help me move furniture, let me feel safe around you, help me network - but how dare you suggest we have sex! We're friends!

And on escaping the friend zone I completely nailed it. Both the author and I agree the best way is to make yourself scarce and appear uninterested. Make her jealous by attracting other women, or fake it if you can't. Women want a challenge. If you answer her call after the first ring or reply to a text within seconds of receiving hers you're only digging herself deeper into the friend zone hole.
      05-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

One day...when I get a PhD or something I really want to write a book on the psycho economics of dating in a digitally fluid society.

The world has changed fast and hard…and we are just trying to keep up. Both us guys…and looking around I see mostly dudes here are just as behind the curve as the women are. But I think women have a better grasp of it than we do at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Some things never change around here
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I think Billy Crystal said it all...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

didn't read the thread. i'm in a selfish mode at the moment and don't really care for gfs
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
BossSauce
Rep
Drives: 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
One day...when I get a PhD or something I really want to write a book on the psycho economics of dating in a digitally fluid society.
so you will talk about your failures on dating websites?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossSauce View Post
so you will talk about your failures on dating websites?
With his epic vacuum collection nobody will notice.
      05-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=22

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls View Post
didn't read the thread. i'm in a selfish mode at the moment and don't really care for gfs
That's ok, we are always here to read your crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls View Post
Lol!! Yea right...
      05-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Actually if you take a moment and read the articles you will see that many facts we hold true in physics which translate very well into economics also work with respect to interpersonal relationships.

That and over the past year or so I’ve seen a few honest threads regarding this issue and when I saw the articles thought it would be best to share.

I myself found them to be interesting and enlightening. May you find them as insightful as I did! =)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

The Friends zone is like the impossible maze...

Once you are in, few make it out...

For those who are able to turn back and get out as soon as they realize you are inside, they dont waste their time...

For those extremely lucky to have make it on the other side, (such as myself), you are treated with the greatest rewards...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Did you guys check the other links that are mentioned in the articles?
They are also very good reading.
It's spring time, I hope you are all out having a good time and meeting nice girls and are avoiding the friend zone.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
The Friends zone is like the impossible maze...

Once you are in, few make it out...

For those who are able to turn back and get out as soon as they realize you are inside, they dont waste their time...

For those extremely lucky to have make it on the other side, (such as myself), you are treated with the greatest rewards...
I agree completely.. Once you get into the friend zone shit's all over...unless you got skills like MacGyver.

Article makes sense tho. One time I stopped giving this girl I liked attention and she started texting me and talking to me much more often..Then my dumb ass caved right back in and started giving her more attention and then the cycle repeated. Girls are crazy man.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Ever try the naked man?
http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-the-N...et-Your-Mother)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

just broke up with my girlfriend 3 days ago... we are going to try and be friends (dated for 6months only). Im going to use this and see if our goals are the same etc. ill let you know how it goes haha.
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Mark....
I'm sure she is a nice girl...but....maybe you should look around and maybe there are better girls out there?
It's a win win...if you go out and meet new girls...you may find one that better fits with you? And makes you smile more? But if you go out and you don't...she will still see you out and having fun and want you back.
All will be well....it's spring time!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
just broke up with my girlfriend 3 days ago... we are going to try and be friends (dated for 6months only). Im going to use this and see if our goals are the same etc. ill let you know how it goes haha.
being friends after has never worked for me. was always just a position to talk shit and keep a claim on you. but ymmv.
Appreciate 0