F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The waiting game
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

The waiting game

Hey guys I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I should finally step out of the shadows.
The reason for being here is that after years of my car purchases being restricted by "family requirements" I've finally ordered a car that I can drive for enjoyment above all. And now it's the very frustrating waiting game - roll on industrial 3D printers at dealers...
Spec is:
F30 320D xDrive Sport
Manual
Lots of red stitching
Jet black
Standard 17"ers
Pro media
Park assist
Electric & heated seats
HUD with speed limit display

As you can see the appearance ain't that important to me - it's the driving experience I'm after. Nothing wrong with all the pretty stuff, it's just low down on the list. There is an element of WAF in there too.
I've also been working in the auto tech supply chain for a couple of decades so it's about time I had personal experience of the stuff I've been helping those clever OEMs and their suppliers to design.
Anyway that's who I am. Looking forward to learning and helping and most of all speaking from personal experience!
Steve

Last edited by languidmandala; 05-04-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
Hey guys I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I should finally step out of the shadows.
The reason for being here is that after years of my car purchases being restricted by "family requirements" I've finally ordered a car that I can drive for enjoyment above all. And now it's the very frustrating waiting game - roll on industrial 3D printers at dealers...
Spec is:
320D xDrive Sport
Lots of red stitching
Jet black
Standard 17"ers
Pro media
Park assist
Electric & heated seats
HUD with speed limit display

As you can see the appearance ain't that important to me - it's the driving experience I'm after. Nothing wrong with all the pretty stuff, it's just low down on the list. There is an element of WAF in there too.
I've also been working in the auto tech supply chain for a couple of decades so it's about time I had personal experience of the stuff I've been helping those clever OEMs and their suppliers to design.
Anyway that's who I am. Looking forward to learning and helping and most of all speaking from personal experience!
Steve
Welcome , sounds great , just prepare for the onslaught of advice for specs changes it can be costly, by the way waiting is hell
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

So is it a saloon or a tourer? What type of gearbox?
      05-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Manual (sport auto didn't make the cut sadly) and saloon.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

a few weeks? You're an old timer then as I've just joined today! The only way i can stand the wait for my F31 is by reading and looking at other peoples cars. Reminds me of waiting for my ZX Spectrum to arrive in the 80's......

Seen a few saloons in black and they look great. The wheels really stand out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
a few weeks? You're an old timer then as I've just joined today! The only way i can stand the wait for my F31 is by reading and looking at other peoples cars. Reminds me of waiting for my ZX Spectrum to arrive in the 80's......

Seen a few saloons in black and they look great. The wheels really stand out.
Aha! I was there too. In that case I controlled my angst by programming irritating messages on the VIC20s in Boots
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Welcome to both Newbies. I'll resist giving any advice as I charge for it now!
      05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

If I was buying purely for driving experience I'd ditch Xdrive and Pro Media for M Sport. If I was buying purely for practicality, family needs, and winter strengths I'd forgo the M Sport Wheels and Suspension in favor of Xdrive and F31 estatage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I probably would too but I'm not in the position to have the car for one use and so it's a blend of features for a blend of needs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Mine too. Wife drives it most as I get a lift to work. It'll do the school run most days. Occasional family trip to the grandparents 450 miles away. The 320d is the sensible pipe n slippers compromise. Otherwise we'd have replaced the R with an S3 or 135i M. But I had to have sporty handling so the M Sport was essential, the Pro Media a luxury I can, but fortunately don't have to, live without. Even then, still a softer ride than my current car and the competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Greetings - and nothing wrong with a Jet Black Sport in the appearance stakes, plus 17's will give you a reasonable amount of comfort (seeing as we can't hoon about all the time!)

There's been some interesting debate on the whole sDrive/xDrive thing, must admit it would never occur to me to go xDrive on a a BMW saloon, but each to their own and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it

Oh and good choice on the HUD + Speed Limit Display. I spec'd these on mine and wouldn't be without them. Just seems so natural to have the info in your peripheral vision.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Mine too. Wife drives it most as I get a lift to work. It'll do the school run most days. Occasional family trip to the grandparents 450 miles away. The 320d is the sensible pipe n slippers compromise. Otherwise we'd have replaced the R with an S3 or 135i M. But I had to have sporty handling so the M Sport was essential, the Pro Media a luxury I can, but fortunately don't have to, live without. Even then, still a softer ride than my current car and the competition.
Sounds like a similar requirement to me actually. Daily commute and running around means car will swap between wife and myself sometimes several times a day (no longer a school run for me though) - electric seats and parking aids are essential for this.
Then there's a round trip to the south coast to see my daughter 2-3 times a year so economy and comfort for that 450 mile run - pipe and slippers 320d
Finally there's hopefully some fun driving on weekend trips and holidays.
Xdrive is partly WAF, partly a need for the car to stick to the road through all conditions when trying to make good time on the appalling "major routes" we have here, partly get me home through unexpected snow, partly a trial
The only thing I object to paying for is the pro media which is frankly an outrageous cost for something that's standard on cars a third of the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #13
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Oh and good choice on the HUD + Speed Limit Display. I spec'd these on mine and wouldn't be without them. Just seems so natural to have the info in your peripheral vision.
Good to hear! I have a professional interest in HUD as well so it will be good for that reason as well.
I have a strong feeling the car will become my new shed as I spend ours sitting in the drive experimenting with it for optimal configuration.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Latest is it may be here by the end of May. Not sure if that makes it easier or not but it's a nice thing to hear!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So today we've had snow, hailstones, sudden rainfall. Xdrive is looking like a better idea all the time... I may be driving it off the lot into a blizzard at this rate
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

If you don't mind me asking, did you deal with one of the Glasgow dealerships for your test drive/purchase? If so, could you say which one?

I'd narrowed my choice for a replacement car down to an F31 320d M Sport or a Audi Q5 S-Line Plus (I know, very different cars but my main requirements were practicality and interior quality) - I've found Glasgow Audi to be quite attentive and was out on a test drive of the Q5 within a few days. Douglas Park BMW Glasgow on the other hand just don't seem interested.. been to the showroom twice to get a feel for the F31 (nice white M Sport 320i sitting there) but wasn't engaged by any of the the staff during either visit. I requested a test drive through the BMW web site and did receive a call but they didn't have any M Sports to test (was looking to see if I felt the adaptive suspension was required or not) so was told they would get back to me (a week later, still waiting).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Harry Fairbairn. Quite helpful but not sure they have a huge range of demonstrators.
The Audi location put me off dealing with them TBH
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
So today we've had snow, hailstones, sudden rainfall. Xdrive is looking like a better idea all the time... I may be driving it off the lot into a blizzard at this rate
Jus remember your stopping distance is as crap as an rwd with the same tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Jus remember your stopping distance is as crap as an rwd with the same tyres.
Of course.
Advanced Parking package, Pro Media, HUD, speed limit display, heated and electric front seats. Halogens!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 335D MSport

I'd be tempted to ditch the Xdrive and get a nice set of pukka BM alloys with high quality winters for 4-5 months of the year. As is said here, you might not get stuck in the snow with Xdrive but you can't stop or steer or any better. You'll save weight and fuel and have more fun driving it. (IMHO!) I run Vredestein Wintrak Xtremes on my F11 and you really would not know they weren't summer tyres when on dry tarmac. And in the snow they are unstoppable.

AND... you spread the tyre wear over two sets of tyres.

Good choice with the HUD though. I reckon that's a good option.

And Pro Media really is good and not like systems on cheaper vehicles. Plus you get the BMW Assist systems that find you if you've crashed or broken down. Worth it for that alone I think.
Current: '17 F31 335d | BS | Black Dakota | Pro Media Plus | M Sport Plus | Advanced Parking | Interior Comfort | Mirrors || '16 F20 M140i | BS | Manual | Advanced Hifi | Heated Seats | Driver Comfort Pack
Past:bb '13 F31 330d M Sport | '11 E87 118d M Sport | '11 F11 520d M Sport | '07 E70 X5 3.0d SE | '08 E91 320d Edition M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
I'd be tempted to ditch the Xdrive and get a nice set of pukka BM alloys with high quality winters for 4-5 months of the year. As is said here, you might not get stuck in the snow with Xdrive but you can't stop or steer or any better. You'll save weight and fuel and have more fun driving it. (IMHO!) I run Vredestein Wintrak Xtremes on my F11 and you really would not know they weren't summer tyres when on dry tarmac. And in the snow they are unstoppable.

Good choice with the HUD though. I reckon that's a good option.

And Pro Media really is good and not like systems on cheaper vehicles. Plus you get the BMW Assist systems that find you if you've crashed or broken down. Worth it for that alone I think.
Nice I had wintrac xtreme with my a3. Lovely tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

At the end of the day it's purely a judgement call.
The RWD fans obsess over AWD braking and handling
The AWD fans obsess over RWD instability on slippery roads and corners
Taking everything on board and doing the research, there's very little in it. The AWD handling isn't as compromised as RWD guys claim and RWD with winters is excellent.
I'll only really know if I got it right in a few years but for now I think the AWD benefits are worth me adding the feature to the car
Advanced Parking package, Pro Media, HUD, speed limit display, heated and electric front seats. Halogens!!
Appreciate 0