F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD Ipod Random
ARMA SPEED

05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
nydennis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

HUD Ipod Random

Had my iPod playing all music. Hit random on the iDrive. Changed songs through the hud. I notice on the iDrive screen that the album cover changes but the song name remains the same. If I change the song on through the joystick and screen everything goes to the next screen.

Anyone else see something like this?

Also is there a way to make sure Random is always on? I always have to hit random if I start changing tracks and such
      05-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

If you're using an iPod Classic and you choose 'all songs' and Random you're putting a big strain on iDrive and the iPod because the database of those songs is very large.

If you used a Playlist of, say, 100 songs, different story. Wouldn't be a lag or a complete miss.

Random 'sticks' when you stay in the same place on the iPod. If you're in a Playlist, choose Random, drive, turn off the car, get back in, it'll resume in that Playlist on Random. But as soon as you navigate to another Playlist, or to Artist, or to All Songs, iDrive removes that option and you have to hit Random again.

Logic being that if you're listening to "Best Of Disco" Playlist in Random and then navigate to Artist > Album > Beatles > Abbey Road, you wouldn't want Carry That Weight coming on as the first track.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
nydennis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
If you're using an iPod Classic and you choose 'all songs' and Random you're putting a big strain on iDrive and the iPod because the database of those songs is very large.

If you used a Playlist of, say, 100 songs, different story. Wouldn't be a lag or a complete miss.

Random 'sticks' when you stay in the same place on the iPod. If you're in a Playlist, choose Random, drive, turn off the car, get back in, it'll resume in that Playlist on Random. But as soon as you navigate to another Playlist, or to Artist, or to All Songs, iDrive removes that option and you have to hit Random again.

Logic being that if you're listening to "Best Of Disco" Playlist in Random and then navigate to Artist > Album > Beatles > Abbey Road, you wouldn't want Carry That Weight coming on as the first track.
It is an iPod classic. The Album art changes instantly. The song names do not change at all while using the hud on random. I actually been thinking of getting an iPod classic so I can update it without bringing it inside all the time through my wireless. I also don't need as much music on the drive as I have. Such a waste as I don't even listen to half of it. I have 7000 songs using 56gb. I used to have over 11k songs on it.

My G37 used to keep it on random all the time unless I changed it so I guess I was just used to it.

I put the Random button on my 8 favorites button to make it easier so no big deal and I totally understand and agree with your reasoning on how the random works.
      05-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post
It is an iPod classic. The Album art changes instantly. The song names do not change at all while using the hud on random. I actually been thinking of getting an iPod classic so I can update it without bringing it inside all the time through my wireless. I also don't need as much music on the drive as I have. Such a waste as I don't even listen to half of it. I have 7000 songs using 56gb. I used to have over 11k songs on it.

My G37 used to keep it on random all the time unless I changed it so I guess I was just used to it.

I put the Random button on my 8 favorites button to make it easier so no big deal and I totally understand and agree with your reasoning on how the random works.
An iPod touch solves all problems.

SSD much faster, impervious to hot/cold temps. My iPod classic fried in my last car, have had no problems with iPod touch
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

It's the Classic. I had an iPod Classic in a GTP and TSX without any issues. A different story in my F30 as it would shut off intermittently. I switched to an iPod nano 7th gen and have not had any issues since.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
nydennis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
It's the Classic. I had an iPod Classic in a GTP and TSX without any issues. A different story in my F30 as it would shut off intermittently. I switched to an iPod nano 7th gen and have not had any issues since.
Just got a iPod touch 5th generation today. Got a good price on it with some freebies. Will try it tomorrow
      05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

This issue will still happen with any hardware. I just bought a iPhone5 and it has the same issue with very large playlists on random. See joewalton's description above.
      05-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Happens to me now and again, no big deal though it fixes itself after a few tracks play. It's an iPod problem I think, not a BMW problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
nydennis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Happens to me now and again, no big deal though it fixes itself after a few tracks play. It's an iPod problem I think, not a BMW problem.
I would think it is a BMW issue over an iPod issue.. Since the artwork does change very quickly, just not the text I would think it is related to the communication between the HUD and the unit. no big deal to me either.