F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Gracenote dynamic updates
GetBMWParts

05-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Gracenote dynamic updates

I've often wondered what would happen if one put a CD into the slot that wasn't in the car's Gracenote database.

Today, I got a chance to see. I bought a new release, a CD that was only released this past Tuesday.

When I put the CD in, the artist and title were shown as "unknown" but track names displayed. I thought, "Oh well, you can't really expect OTA updates for Gracenote." Previously, I was investigating a Toyota RAV4 and I noticed its owners' manual contained instructions on updating Gracenote. I had decided that was a better system because what good is a static database in the BMW?

I drove off, listening to the CD. About five minutes later, the artist and album title had appeared. Gracenote database updates are apparently, available OTA.

I don't know if this is part of BMW Assist or not -- but it sure was cool.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
best1973
You only live once! Die Happy Bimmer 4 lyfe :)
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i (E-92) Sport PKG

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Same Here

Hello, I have have the same problem. I put in a (Newly Released) CD the artist name and album showed up with only Two Singles that were played off the album before it was released. Then today it removed the name of the singles.

Please chime in if you find a fix. Right now I am saving my music to iTunes at 320k with titles to the USB and saving it like that. I hate the fact that you have to see an un-named album in my library. It becomes a witchhunt for music which is annoying when you want to find a specific track.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I've often wondered what would happen if one put a CD into the slot that wasn't in the car's Gracenote database.

Today, I got a chance to see. I bought a new release, a CD that was only released this past Tuesday.

When I put the CD in, the artist and title were shown as "unknown" but track names displayed. I thought, "Oh well, you can't really expect OTA updates for Gracenote." Previously, I was investigating a Toyota RAV4 and I noticed its owners' manual contained instructions on updating Gracenote. I had decided that was a better system because what good is a static database in the BMW?

I drove off, listening to the CD. About five minutes later, the artist and album title had appeared. Gracenote database updates are apparently, available OTA.

I don't know if this is part of BMW Assist or not -- but it sure was cool.
Actually, I believe what is happening is that the album info is being read off the CD itself (like CD-TEXT).
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0