E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Went in for a tune, and left with a to do list

05-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
TexasToast
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 335i

Went in for a tune, and left with a to do list

It took a while, but after I installed all of my bolt-ons, I wanted a custom tune for my Cobb Access port. My mods, in order of installation include:
1. Cobb Access Port
2. AFE DCI
3. Active autoworks BOV kit
4. Active autoworks FMIC
5. ETS Catback exhaust
6. VRSF 3" Catless downpipes

Before the tune:
I had a boost leak test performed. MAJOR leak at the throttle body.
The O ring that came off the original charge pipe was reused on the AA BOV kit, but it wasn't sealing properly. Fixed that issue by buying a 3.5"-4" coupler and a few clamps.
Next headache was the size of the mount on the AA BOV that houses the sensor. Since the mount is taller than the OEM mount, the business end of the sensor does NOT sink all the way down into the pipe. If you remove the pipe and examine it, you notice the sensor is nearly flush on the interior of the tube, instead of protruding into the path of the flowing air. Consequently, the whole tmap sensor wiggles because it doesn't firmly sit in the AA BOV housing mount.
My tech read nearly 10 fault codes, most due to the cats being removed.

Results indicate I need a stronger fuel pump. The AFR was reading lean(almost 20% at 2400RPM instead of reaching 11-12% at 2400 and leveling off at 18 PSI), and we determined that the tmap(MAF) sensor was to blame. Can anyone offer me any input of their own?

More importantly, the fuel pump. What kind do I need to be looking at? LPFP or HPFP? Was looking at the Bosch 044, but read that its noisy. I'm still using the factory turbos, and don't need something "too" powerful or difficult to install myself.

Thanks for viewing my issue, I'll probably do a DIY for the install
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

are you trying to tune for a e85 blend?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
TexasToast
Private
Rep

No, I want a custom tune that can be used with my Cobb Access port. The race shop has the Cobb software, and a mustang dyno.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Was your lean AFR at 2400 rpm under boost? My AFR is always lean driving at hwy speeds around that rpm. Under boost is a different story though...
      05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
TexasToast
Private
Rep

My tuner guy said that it could have been caused by the MAF sensor not being correctly situated in the charge pipe. We stopped the tune after that because it went into limp mode :/
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You should get your all of your boost issues fixed before investing in a new LPFP. On 93 pump gas running lean with Cobb is unheard of.
      05-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
TexasToast
Private
Rep

I understand that, but lemme ask you this. Assuming all of the boost issues are fixed, at what point would you need to go bigger on the fuel pump? I read that the OEM fuel pum puts out something like 90 LPH.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
I understand that, but lemme ask you this. Assuming all of the boost issues are fixed, at what point would you need to go bigger on the fuel pump? I read that the OEM fuel pum puts out something like 90 LPH.

You shouldn't need to replace the OEM in-tank pump unless you are running a fairly high E85 blend. Pump gas shouldn't even be an issue.

Is your low-pressure fuel pressure dropping under heavy load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
My tuner guy said that it could have been caused by the MAF sensor not being correctly situated in the charge pipe. We stopped the tune after that because it went into limp mode :/
The N54 doesn't have a MAF sensor. The sensor in the charge pipe is a T-MAP (temperature/pressure) sensor, and it shouldn't really matter if it is in a direct path of the airflow. I'm guessing you have other issues.
      05-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Stock lpfp is safe good up to 30-35% mix of ethanol.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0