F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Can improper break in lead to voiding of warranty
GetBMWParts

05-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
ManVsFood
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy 328i

Can improper break in lead to voiding of warranty

I bought a new F30 328i 12 days back. This is my first new car, had a used car before. So, I don't know much about cars and do not know about break-in for cars for as well. I have not followed the break-in guidance from the manual, have 540 miles on the car so far and have definitely crossed the 4500rpm mark several times including pedal-to-floor (wide open throttle) quite a few times putting the throttle-response-switch to sports mode.

I have an automatic, so wondering if putting the pedal to floor would have red-lined the engine so far. Also worried if that would have resulted in kickdown as well both of which the manual says "Avoid". Since I don't violate speed limits more than 5/10mph, I haven't crossed 80mph in the car so far.

I noticed the break-in period and its importance when going through the threads here, and I'm freaked out right now that my warranty would be denied and I'm screwed should any problem show up in the car. I went through the manual that shows up in the NAV screen, it does not mention about the warranty. However, I did extensive searching and it all seems to be opinions with no real experiences, except one case where an owner of M3 was almost denied warranty.

I'm freaked out that I paid nearly 50k for the car and would end up with no warranty.

Has anyone heard of voided warranty due to violation of break-in guidance rpm?
I did quite an amount of search in google though I wouldn't say its comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
The Sage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

my salesman never mentioned a break in period. but through the forums and my owners manual i knew there was. so if its not important to say when they are delivering the car must not be for BMW.

not to mention i work in the dealer world. worked for vw, audi, jaguar and now land rover and have never had any issue with warranty for anything like this.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

You will have no issue with warranty. The dealer would have to prove that your actions caused the failure of whatever component/part fails in your car. While it is true that there is a computer on board that records all data on the running of your car. They (BMW) would be hard pressed to prove any negligence on your part by simply exceeding the 4500 rpm limit break in guide. I have owned more cars than I canremember and have driven them in may different ways depending on the type of car I had. I have never been denied a warranty claim. The law puts the burden on the dealer to prove your action/ modification led to the failure. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
ManVsFood
Rep

Thanks guys. I did a little more searching and reading up. I was not able to find any warranty denials due to improper break-in which means its a relatively lesser known issue. Keeping fingers crossed that I should not have to claim any warranty stuff.

I'm going to read the owners manual and any other warranty documents completely over the weekend to see what I'm up against. The owners manul says that BMW records everything, like when stability control kicks in, acceleration, deceleration, so on and so forth. So, they can easily quote any data if they want.

Its strange that I did not know about breaking in, every one around me seems to know about it but no one told me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Don't worry. You're fine.

I was thrashing my car at 600 miles

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

I've never heard of any such thing. You'll be fine.

You're just seating the piston rings properly
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

My sales person was very explicit on the break-in process. Check with your dealership again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
ManVsFood
Rep

Ya, I'll check but I talked to a few of my friends who own BMWs for a few years. Though they were aware of the break-in requirement they just violated the rpm limit once in a while and never had a problem.

So, here's what I sort of figured out by talking to a few people I know and also going throw a few other posts. Could be right or wrong. As long as there's no major warranty work needed for the car or some warranty work that seems out-of-place to BMW, they do not check for 'beating' the car. However, when some huge issue shows up, they can use all the recorded data to see if the owner has 'abused' the car. Beating it once in a while should not be an issue though I'm conscious of how I drive right now.

I'm not sure but I think max rpm, max speed, the dynamic stability control and traction control etc. get recorded when they kick in, and if too much of those stuff get recorded, probably I'd be in trouble. Glad that I realized this in the first 500 miles of the car atleast, and I don't plan to track the car anyway.

Guess I should be fine and count on my lucky stars that everything works out for good .
Thanks for the inputs guys.
Appreciate 0