F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrade the Basic 6-speakers
Studio RSR

05-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 (ordered)

Upgrade the Basic 6-speakers

Hello there,

I'm in the process of upgrading my basic 6-Speakers system (F30 -2013),

I added a digital 4-entries Amplifier + Morel 10" Subswoofer in the trunk of the car.
in addition the 2 front speakers are now amplified and next week I'm going to replace them with Morel 4" Hybrid Integra speakers.

Now I feel that the speakers under the front seats (kind of mini subwoofers) are a bit weak and in high volume they can't handle the input they get,
anyone tried to replace them ? do you recommend an upgrade for those speakers ?

Last edited by hanizh; 06-02-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

pictures of your set up please.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanizh
Hello there,

I'm in the process of upgrading my basic 6-Speakers system (F30 -2013),

I added a digital 4-entries Amplifier + Morel 10" Subswoofer in the trunk of the car.
in addition the 2 front speakers are now amplified and next week I'm going to replace them with Morel 4" Hybrid Integra speakers.

Now I feel that the speakers under the front seats (kind of mini subwoofers) are a bit weak and in high volume they can't handle the input they get,
anyone tried to replace them ? do you recommend an upgrade for those speakers ?
Can you please share if you replaced the door speaker, if yes for which make and model
Im looking to do an audio upgrade as well

Thank you
      06-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
Can you please share if you replaced the door speaker, if yes for which make and model
Im looking to do an audio upgrade as well

Thank you
I will upgrade the front speakers today, I will take pictures and post once done for the complete upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
Some pictures of the final setup:

- Hertz Digital Amplifier (I don't know the exact model)
- Hertz 8" subwoofer + wood box
- 2 front speakers Morel 4" Hybrid Integra 4.2 + Crossover , those are 2-Way speakers with Crossover to Twitter and Mid. , one Crossover for each door.

Kept Original:

- Under seat subwoofers
- 2 rear speakers

The front speakers are a bit thick and using 4 holes, the installer did 4 new holes for each speaker and did not use the original wholes; also isolating tapes were added to prevent the speaker from hitting the window glass and to increase isolation.

The result is astonishing! A huge improvement than the basic system and clean sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

By the way, I see no need to upgrade the under-seat subwoofers now
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

Hanizh, thank you so much for posting pics! Few questions:
1) Did he mount the crossover in the door?
2) Any pics of the new tweeters?
3) where did he get the signal for the speaker inputs?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLittle
Hanizh, thank you so much for posting pics! Few questions:
1) Did he mount the crossover in the door?
2) Any pics of the new tweeters?
3) where did he get the signal for the speaker inputs?
You welcome ,
- yes he mounted the crossover inside the door attached to a white isolator as you can see the picture with my hand mounting it in the lower-outer side of the door were you have more space.
- as far as I sow he wired from the iDrive to the amp. And used the original wire from amp. To the door, u can see in some pics. The original wire ...
- we did not add a stand alone tweeters, those are part of the Morel and u can control the level in the cross using a jumper, we chose the lower level and the output was still clear as best as standalone tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I really don't understand why people don't get the HK system when ordering.

I can't imagine that after buying the audio system parts and using all that labor to install it, that it sounds better than the HK system and costs less.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post

I can't imagine that after buying the audio system parts and using all that labor to install it, that it sounds better than the HK system and costs less.
Actually I would like to know as well. It is the labor costs that would vary. Also I would like some comments if it is simple bolt on replacement to factory speakers or would rewiring be necessary? or new amp be required because it is using different voltage or ohms. If it is simple replacement I suspect the aftermarket speakers will be much better than HK system.

Looks great OP. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90

Since we do not get the Hk or hi fi in the options here in Israel, otherwise why I will spend 2000$ doing retrofit..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealZoom
Quote:

Actually I would like to know as well. It is the labor costs that would vary. Also I would like some comments if it is simple bolt on replacement to factory speakers or would rewiring be necessary? or new amp be required because it is using different voltage or ohms. If it is simple replacement I suspect the aftermarket speakers will be much better than HK system.

Looks great OP. Thanks for sharing.
It needs rewiring all over from the system to the car back where the amp. Is mounted and the subwoofer.. It is costly but it sound great
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And subwoofer need wires from under seat speakers in order to get only the low range sound
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Zeppeliin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

speaker Size Please

I have a f30 320d which has a base stereo , and yes its awful, so I would like to update the speaker or attach an amp to it, could anyone please suggest the speaker sizes for the speakers and woofers.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppeliin View Post
I have a f30 320d which has a base stereo , and yes its awful, so I would like to update the speaker or attach an amp to it, could anyone please suggest the speaker sizes for the speakers and woofers.

Thanks..
Speakers must be 4" , otherwise it will not fit, you shold be aware not to have too thick model that will hit the window glass, I recommed those that I installed Morel Hybrid Integra 4" 4.2 - 2-way with cross over , those are amazing, must be amplified ofcourse.

additional subwoofer in the truck in a standalone box of 8" will do the work, there are some other threads here were I see some companies offer a subwoofer fitted to F30 trunk which looks very nice instead of having one floating in the trunk, I think those guys are located in England, look for the thread in the forum.

Good luck,
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #16
Zeppeliin
Registered
Rep

Thanks hanizh,

Appreciate your help here, I live in India, and the import duty is way high to get anything from the international market, I paid 110% duty on the car itselt, it cost me $74,000.00. So What I am looking for is the size of speaker and I can do trial and error and get the perfect setup while not spending much. Btw Could you please help me guide about fitting an amplifier?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppeliin View Post
Thanks hanizh,

Appreciate your help here, I live in India, and the import duty is way high to get anything from the international market, I paid 110% duty on the car itselt, it cost me $74,000.00. So What I am looking for is the size of speaker and I can do trial and error and get the perfect setup while not spending much. Btw Could you please help me guide about fitting an amplifier?
Thanks
I can understand I paid more than 60,000$ on 316

you can see in the pictures above my Amlifier, it is HEARTZ digital 4 output , 2 used for the Subwoofer and 2 for the front speakers.
you can use any recommended amp. as long as it is digital and have at least 4 output , but some of them will need some extra adaptors, this one is pretty easy to install (by pro. installer of course) ...

pay attention that the front speakers usually have 4 wholes while in BMW are only 3, so the installer should draw the new wholes and make sure to put some isolation around the speaker to prevent noises and make 100% stable and sealed.

upgrading the front speakers is mandatory to get better sound , mine sound amazing now , I think there is no need to upgrade the underseat subwoofers.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #18
Zeppeliin
Registered
Rep

Done and done, thank you Sir!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #19
Joe Huh
Rep
Drives: 320d f30

hanizh, do you know the wire color code of F30 from head unit to amp and amp to speakers? I also am working on installing an amp and a subwoofer. But I am stuck at identifying such wires. I am trying to use 4channel amp to connet to front left and right.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #20
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Huh View Post
hanizh, do you know the wire color code of F30 from head unit to amp and amp to speakers? I also am working on installing an amp and a subwoofer. But I am stuck at identifying such wires. I am trying to use 4channel amp to connet to front left and right.
Hi , I'm not a technical guy and my installed happened to be not welling to share his knoweldge , keep asking in the forum you should find someone to tell you
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I told my CA what I wanted in a 335 MSport. He called me back and said there was one on a boat with everything except the HK and it would be here in 2-3 weeks. I wanted the car now as my prior lease was up (I purchased the 335) as opposed to waiting 4 months for it to be built. Hence, no HK...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
jasonF30
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I didnt get the HK bc you can only get it in Canada as part of a $4500 package that includes a bunch of stuff I dont really want/need.
Appreciate 0