E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Navigation error - insert map DVD

09-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Navigation error - insert map DVD

Several months ago (around feb I think) I had intermittant problems with the nav system. Occastionally (it started once every week or two and increased to 3 or 4 times a week) while I was in the navigation section (displaying map or choosing destination), it would suddenly go "Insert map DVD". At first ejecting and reinserting the map DVD would fix the problem, but after a while sometimes this would not work and it wouldn't come back till some time later. Prior to this problem I had never ejected the nav disc, the car had been delivered with the disc in and I had never taken it out.

As the problem came up more I reported it to my dealer and took it in. They had a look at it and couldn't reproduce the problem, but replaced the nav disc and I didn't get the problem again, until yesterday.

Again I haven't ejected the disc since they gave it to me and yesterday whilst displaying the map (navigation to a destination was not on) the message came up again. After ejecting and replacing the disc a couple of times it worked again. Today the same thing happened again. I looked at the disc and there are a couple of scratches on it (nothing major, if it were a CD I would expect it to play with no problems).

Anyone else experienced this problem? if so was there a fix?

Is it possible there is some dirt in the player, would a cleaning disc do any good?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Sheds View Post
Several months ago (around feb I think) I had intermittant problems with the nav system. Occastionally (it started once every week or two and increased to 3 or 4 times a week) while I was in the navigation section (displaying map or choosing destination), it would suddenly go "Insert map DVD". At first ejecting and reinserting the map DVD would fix the problem, but after a while sometimes this would not work and it wouldn't come back till some time later. Prior to this problem I had never ejected the nav disc, the car had been delivered with the disc in and I had never taken it out.

As the problem came up more I reported it to my dealer and took it in. They had a look at it and couldn't reproduce the problem, but replaced the nav disc and I didn't get the problem again, until yesterday.

Again I haven't ejected the disc since they gave it to me and yesterday whilst displaying the map (navigation to a destination was not on) the message came up again. After ejecting and replacing the disc a couple of times it worked again. Today the same thing happened again. I looked at the disc and there are a couple of scratches on it (nothing major, if it were a CD I would expect it to play with no problems).

Anyone else experienced this problem? if so was there a fix?

Is it possible there is some dirt in the player, would a cleaning disc do any good?
I get the same problem in winter. More so on really cold days.
I get the same error message. I eject the disk, give it a swipe with
soft cloth to clean it and put it back. It works.
It has never happened to me during spring/summer/fall.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

maybe take it to the dealer?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

I had the same problem, until after a bit it just would not accept the disc at all any more. Obviously this happened when I actually needed the navigation....

The dealer ended up replacing the whole CCC unit, and I got to put my address book back in manually.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
mosport70
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I had the problem yesterday... seems to happen on really hot days. Ejected the disc and cooled it with the AC. Finally worked once the disk was cool enough.

The disk was spotless.
330xi Sparkling Graphite | Terra with Burl Walnut | ZPP | ZSP with Style 162 | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | PDC | Navigation | Satellite Radio | OEM Alarm | De-badged | OEM Strut Brace | Blacklines | Rear Fogs | Silver Front Indicator Bulbs

Ordered: 4.3.2006
Scheduled for Production: 4.7.2006
Awaiting Transport: 4.13.2006
En Route: 4.19.2006
At Preparation Center: 5.11.2006
Performance Center Delivery: 06.01.2006

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It's started to do this again, a lot more consistently, in fact it hardly ever works now and the disk is getting more scratched. I've noticed another thread on the same subject here. It mentions a service bulletin so I'm going to book the car in and get it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

I would put a cd cleaner disk in (the one with the small fine brushes) and see if that helps. Then again...what if it doesn't eject it! LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I would put a cd cleaner disk in (the one with the small fine brushes) and see if that helps. Then again...what if it doesn't eject it! LOL
I tried one of those and it has made no difference.

The nav disk also had a load of small scratches on it and I haven't taken out except when it kept throwing these errors. I also tried copying the DVD and again no luck, but the new disk I tried came out with a couple of small scratches similar to the ones on the original so I suspect something is loose in the DVD drive and hopefully it will be replaced.

I've just booked a service appointment in a couple of weeks so I'll post an update then.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I have had this happen thrice so far, all three times after I started using the 2008.1 DVD that I burned. I just eject the DVD and put it back in and everything is back to normal.

Never had this issue with the original 2007.2 DVD that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
I have had this happen thrice so far, all three times after I started using the 2008.1 DVD that I burned. I just eject the DVD and put it back in and everything is back to normal.

Never had this issue with the original 2007.2 DVD that came with the car.
I've had this happend with various version of NAV disc. Eject and reinsert will fix the problem. It's happened during Winter and Summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3r View Post
I've had this happend with various version of NAV disc. Eject and reinsert will fix the problem. It's happened during Winter and Summer.
That used to fix it for me, but now it's just permanently broken. Maybe a tenth of the time it will work, but never for more than 10 or 15 minutes. If I were you I would complain about it at your next service and see if you can get it dealt with then rather than booking a separate appointment if it fails like mine in between services.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That used to fix it for me, but now it's just permanently broken. Maybe a tenth of the time it will work, but never for more than 10 or 15 minutes. If I were you I would complain about it at your next service and see if you can get it dealt with then rather than booking a separate appointment if it fails like mine in between services.
good call, i'm up for service next month.. i bet they'll blame it on my dvdr.. even though it didn't give me any read error until recently.. i don't keep the original nav disc in the car..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I took the car in this morning and after waiting for over an hour to get my courtesy car (I was none too pleased at the wait). They did the prog update today and that did not resolve the problem, so they ordered a new part (I think the guy said the head unit?) and it will hopefully be there and installed tomorrow.

I copied the info from the other thread about the service bulletin and printed it out and took it with me to show to the guy taking the car and he was looking at it and wondering where I got it from
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #14
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I got the car back on Tuesday evening, they reprogrammed it on Monday and that didn't fix it and then replaced a part on Tuesday which did fix it. On my invoice the part they replaced is 'EXCH-CCC CD CORE RETURN' with part number 65-83-9-123-092.

It's fixed the problem and the nav system has been working fine since then. The updated iDrive also looks way better than before.

Does the update to software also do anything with the drive? I have a steptronic which I always drive in manual mode and the down shifts seem to be smoother now.

How long does it take to do a software update, on the invoice it lists it as 295 minutes with a lot of exclamation marks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
I got the car back on Tuesday evening, they reprogrammed it on Monday and that didn't fix it and then replaced a part on Tuesday which did fix it. On my invoice the part they replaced is 'EXCH-CCC CD CORE RETURN' with part number 65-83-9-123-092.

It's fixed the problem and the nav system has been working fine since then. The updated iDrive also looks way better than before.

Does the update to software also do anything with the drive? I have a steptronic which I always drive in manual mode and the down shifts seem to be smoother now.

How long does it take to do a software update, on the invoice it lists it as 295 minutes with a lot of exclamation marks!
Looks like they replaced your CCC/Navigation head unit. In addition, looks like they got all of your vehicle's software up to date...and yes, it can take several hours to do it. I wouldn't doubt that your transmission behaves differently as part of a software update - its got BMW's latest and greatest software installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

i took my car in for the dme update, and they updated my progman to 30.2 as well (which i did not expect), now my navi is having the same problem the OP is having. maybe i should mention to them that the cause could be the head unit, and they'll swap me a totally new/updated one? btw, the new main screen color looks so dead, hate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Looks like they replaced your CCC/Navigation head unit. In addition, looks like they got all of your vehicle's software up to date...and yes, it can take several hours to do it. I wouldn't doubt that your transmission behaves differently as part of a software update - its got BMW's latest and greatest software installed.
They replaced my CCC as well and the nav problem is now fixed.
I guess they updated my software too since I lost all my settingas and the car 'feels' slower since shifts are now 'smoother'..
Appreciate 0