E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > My first track day, help and tips?!

09-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

My first track day, help and tips?!

I have my FIRST EVER track day hosted by my own dealer at a local track. First half of the day will be doing mostly slaloms, braking, accident avoidance, etc, and then in the afternoon will be spent on the track first in slow speeds and then will be doing hot laps for the remainder of the day.

What kind of things should I do to my car to make sure it is somewhat prep'd for the track? I will be using my 19s on the track, i know its not the best, but i don't have anything else but my stock 17s on rft's, so i guess i gotta stick with my 19s this time around.

Im looking for some useful advise from people who has spent lots of time on the track and know a thing or two! Thanks! :rocks:

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Your car should be prepped enough, since this is your first track event. It also sounds like you won't be hot lapping for the majority of the weekend, so don't worry about anything.

Drink water though. If they don't provide you with water, get a six pack or something before you go (water, not beer ). You can also bring a folding chair to sit on and sunblock, that kinda thing.

Good luck and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
Your car should be prepped enough, since this is your first track event. It also sounds like you won't be hot lapping for the majority of the weekend, so don't worry about anything.

Drink water though. If they don't provide you with water, get a six pack or something before you go (water, not beer ). You can also bring a folding chair to sit on and sunblock, that kinda thing.

Good luck and have fun!
LOL! thanks for the tips! i thought i can bring a mini keg of heineken

Any tips in regarding to tire pressures? I'm running 235/35 and 265/30 and 19s respectively

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Nic320si
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335i N54

Hi

Tire pressure 4-5 psi above normal max.

Sit close to the steering wheel. Your wrists should be able to touch the top of the steering wheel.

Take it easy, dont force anything. Be smooth on the steeringinput.

Take it really slow on the first laps, dont try to follow anyone even if they are driving a much slower car.
Take the same lines every time and gently increase the pace. Slow in- fast out.

I havent taken my E90 on track yet (just got it last week)., but have done track days in my E46, and also been on the Nürburgring in another E90.

Have fun

And be aware that it is HIGHLY addictive...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
LOL! thanks for the tips! i thought i can bring a mini keg of heineken

Any tips in regarding to tire pressures? I'm running 235/35 and 265/30 and 19s respectively
I run 38F 32R cold, and I have the same tire widths as you, though mine are 18s. Try to get 40 all around hot, then adjust accordingly. Bleed some off in the rears if you want less understeer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Torque your lug bolts, wear a helmet, and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Don't worry about how fast you are compared to other cars, just go out there with the intention of having fun, and learning to drive on the track in a safe manner.
      09-21-2007, 02:51 AM   #8
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

thanks so much for your comments and help guys!

im getting more and more excited as my first track day approaches, as the lapping goes, i think all the faster (higher power) cars will be in the front followed by the slower (less power) cars, so the slower cars are always playing catch up, and no passing unless on front or back straights

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

I personally recommend that you use the 17s instead. While they might not ultimately grip as well, you will cry less if they get damaged or if the tires get scuffed/chunked. I would run them (the 17s) at the max pressure recommended by BMW for the OE tires.

Leave all safety electronics at their default setting. No DTC and no defeating DSC. For your first track day DSC is a very helpful teaching tool. If it intervenes, ask yourself what you did wrong and then don't do it again. If you don't know what you did wrong, ask your instructor. THEN don't do it again.

Make sure there is nothing loose in your car...change, pens, old hard food, etc...

Keep your windshield very clean. You don't need the distraction of dirty glass.

Never follow the car in front of you. If he/she is going to Walmart, you will go to Walmart.

Wear comfortable clothes and drink lots of water.

Learn to recognize when you are getting tired and sloppy. When that happens, stop driving. This will be especially apparent towards the end of the day.

Have a great time!!! Post videos or pictures when it is over please.
      09-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Get the correct line first and speed will come later. I would use the straights to collect your thoughts rather than trying to blast through them at top speed.

Be ready to be humbled. Far lower powered cars with better drivers will be flying around you like you were standing still. Instructors (if you have them and I hope you do) will humble you because what we commonly think of as fast driving, whether through movies or your own street experience, is really sloooooow and incorrect.

If some buzzy Miata is tailing you in the corners but you are blasting away on the straights - he is still faster than you - let him pass. You might learn something watching him.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Get the correct line first and speed will come later. I would use the straights to collect your thoughts rather than trying to blast through them at top speed.

Be ready to be humbled. Far lower powered cars with better drivers will be flying around you like you were standing still. Instructors (if you have them and I hope you do) will humble you because what we commonly think of as fast driving, whether through movies or your own street experience, is really sloooooow and incorrect.

If some buzzy Miata is tailing you in the corners but you are blasting away on the straights - he is still faster than you - let him pass. You might learn something watching him.

that was the best part of owning a spec miata...{buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz}

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
AGIO_330i
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
that was the best part of owning a spec miata...{buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz}
Lol those Miata guys are badass! I was vrey impressed the first time I went to a track day watching my friends back in the day. While we were waiting for our next run, the Miata guys came out. It was awesome.

#1 tip: Don't freak out, breathe, stay calm at all times so you can react. If you are confident in your skills, remember others can spin out right in front of you at any time. You want to have a clear focused mind. Calm and Focused.

Once you go Bimmer, you never go back!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
AM150
3rd wait as she's in storage for the winter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
1 - Make sure you get an instructor, and listen to what they tell you. Maybe ask for rides with the instructor to see the correct line and braking zones.

2 - Ignore the advanced techniques and focus on the basics. All too often people on their first lapping day are so concerned with forcing heel-toe downshifts that they get everything else wrong. Advanced techniques will save you 10ths of a second at best ONLY if you are getting every thing else right.

3 - As mentioned before, don't worry about being passed by other people, even in cars that you think should be slower than yours. This applies even more for talk in the pits... Often people will discuss speeds down the back straight or speed through corner X. It's almost always inflated.

4 - Have fun. If you are getting stressed or frustrated then you are probably trying too hard, and probably going slower than you could as a result. When i watch basketball games the announcers often talk of the players establishing a rhythm. The same thing happens when you are driving, you establish a rhythm where it all comes smoothly and naturally to you, that's where you want to get.

5 - Keep in the back of your mind that one mistake can ruin your day. Even if you are driving as well as anyone can drive leave yourself some room for error. Don't aim to push all the way to the edge of the track on corner exits, aim for 2 feet in from that. If you think you need 50ft to brake for a corner, give yourself 60ft.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
jjhan85
J-Han
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i jetblack

Garage List
I just had my first day of auto crossing on sunday...and it was so awesome. All the tips that these guys are saying are totally helpful. When I went there sunday, i had no idea it would be so long, so yea, bring water and maybe some snacks and stuff, definately some sunblock if its sunny and hot.

for my first couple runs i got like around 90-80 seconds (definately one of the slowest of the group, but people will know who the newbies are ), and several times i got off course (open parking lot with lots of cones and stuff). We got a total of 6 runs and at the end of the day you can pay 1 dollar for another run. After taking the course a couple times i started to get the hang of it. I pushed my car on those slaloms and drove my car hard... it was ridiculously fun...at the end of the day, i got mid 60 seconds on the track and i felt pretty good! Also, i got a lot of comments about the sound of my car (AFE intake w/ resonator and muffler delete)

I also just ordered some rear sway bars, should be here on Wednesday. Another auto cross day should be comin up in 3 weeks so hopefully these H&R rear sway bars will be helpful i did notice some understeering...i think (my front wheels are turned but still going straight...kind of) . Also, considering getting front sway bars...in due time though...so looking forward to another day of auto crossing!!! WOO!!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #15
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Hey, how did it go?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica