E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clutch Slipping (I think)

12-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Clutch Slipping (I think)

So I was doing alot of driving today, and I noticed my clutch slipping or some problem.

As I start to pull off and as I ease off the clutch - I feel like a shudder under the pedal and in the car. It's just there for that instant of pull off and goes away.

I was thinking of taking it in, but I really don't feel like having dirty dealer poeple unnessacerily touching my lemon seats - so I thought I'd ask here.

I figured I might have gotten to a "bad" spot in the clutch, and I could abuse it a bit to get past that...(but then I don't want to try that if it's not a good solution)

Does anyone know what I mean, or have any idea how to know what is happening? It only happened today, so I will see if it happens tomorrow!

On a completely side note: I saw a white E46 SPEWWWING white smoke out of it's exhaust...so much the poeple behind it couldn't see what was happening...he was about to pull over...shame! :-) Lucky my problem is so minor...and I am fully covered by BMW motorplan.

Last edited by Broken1; 12-01-2005 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Broken1wrote in part, "...(Maybe I just use my clutch incorrectly - (which would be as a result of trying to not get turbo lag on pull off, and reving to 1500rpm before fully releasing the clutch)
__________________________________________________ __
Broken 1 may have answered his own question. I'll let someone else comment about "turbo lag" in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
So I was doing alot of driving today, and I noticed my clutch slipping or some problem.

As I start to pull of, I raise the revs up a bit and ease off the clutch (the way i've done it since I've been driving BMW's (otherwise they stall)) I feel like a shudder under the pedal and in the car. It's just there for that instant of pull off and goes away.

I was thinking of taking it in, but I really don't feel like having dirty dealer poeple unnessacerily touching my lemon seats - so I thought I'd ask here.

I figured I might have gotten to a "bad" spot in the clutch, and I could abuse it a bit to get past that...(but then I don't want to try that if it's not a good solution)

Does anyone know what I mean, or have any idea how to know what is happening? It only happened today, so I will see if it happens tomorrow!

(Maybe I just use my clutch incorrectly - (which would be as a result of trying to not get turbo lag on pull off, and reving to 1500rpm before fully releasing the clutch)

On a completely side note: I saw a white E46 SPEWWWING white smoke out of it's exhaust...so much the poeple behind it couldn't see what was happening...he was about to pull over...shame! :-) Lucky my problem is so minor...and I am fully covered by BMW motorplan.
i have no idea what is going on with your clutch, but you should take it in for a check up. dirty mechanic touching your lemon seats?? dont you get check in and your service advisor place a plastic cover over your seat before getting in?? then it goes inside to the mechanics. so your lemon interior should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

You should be able to release the clutch to its friction point, then add some throttle. It's never stalled for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

Quote:

(Maybe I just use my clutch incorrectly - (which would be as a result of trying to not get turbo lag on pull off, and reving to 1500rpm before fully releasing the clutch)

It is not a good way to keep clutch. Try put it in the 5th, then step on the gas padal if engine spped is faster than car speed, then the clutch is bad.
      12-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
i have no idea what is going on with your clutch, but you should take it in for a check up. dirty mechanic touching your lemon seats?? dont you get check in and your service advisor place a plastic cover over your seat before getting in?? then it goes inside to the mechanics. so your lemon interior should be fine.
Yea right, and they promise not to scratch your car at the dealer either.

We do have the plastic seat things, and then the mechanic puts his dirty arm on the arm rest, or touches the door panel. I know no one has respect for other people's property...

The clutch is slipping, it's shuddering on take off - and it didn't do it before. I'm gonna drive with it for a week or two and then see. I was planning on taking it in to the F1 service bay (a concept where you pull in and they check/fix simple things while you wait) for a little inspection before I drive long distance in Jan. If it doesn't go away - I guess I'll ask them then.

Just want some clutch officionado's input...if anyone has?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Kinda doubt your clutch is bad. Not speaking as an E90 owner, yet, but unless you're really hard on clutches it's probably fine. You might just need to work on your technique a bit? Maybe a little more gas or a little slower clutch release on start?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep

I want to know why the clutch might be giving that "slipping" shuddering feeling on the instant of pull off...
:-)

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the car - it might be just a small problem.

It's a problem that has surfaced today - and I haven't changed anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
Kinda doubt your clutch is bad. Not speaking as an E90 owner, yet, but unless you're really hard on clutches it's probably fine. You might just need to work on your technique a bit? Maybe a little more gas or a little slower clutch release on start?
I don't mean to be attacking in this post - but I think you have misunderstood.

The car is not slipping or stalling - the problem is I feel the clutch shudder as if it is slipping on whatever it catches on to as I am releasing it on pull off.

I think I said to much in the first post which is confusing poeple. I have edited it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You are aware of the break-in period of the clutch is around 400miles. During this period you must gently engage the clutch. If you drag race during this period there is a possibility that your clutch could wear unevenly and have adverse effects later.

It could be that its freezing and your E90 clutch might have problems due to low temperatures.

It could be a problem that needs diagnoses at the dealership in an effort to solve this mystery before you rule out any suspesion.

Its very hard to say since each individual owner drives their car differently and all E90's are not perfect copies but within tolerance of the original design.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
The clutch is slipping, it's shuddering on take off - and it didn't do it before. I
Just want some clutch officionado's input...if anyone has?
That used to happen to my old, old e36 320i, but when I had the air conditioner on. Most embarrasing with a passenger in the car too.

From memory, it very occasionally happened in my old e46 323i as well....

but it doesn't happen in my e90 STEP!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, if it happens constantly with different clutch pedal release speeds, take it sooner rather than lateer for the service guys to look at it. Especially when you can replicate it at any time.

If anything it is VERY annoying.

Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia

but it doesn't happen in my e90 STEP!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, if it happens constantly with different clutch pedal release speeds, take it sooner rather than lateer for the service guys to look at it. Especially when you can replicate it at any time.

If anything it is VERY annoying.

Cheers.
I would have loved an auto...but for the R13000 they were charging, I much preferred to have a bluetooth car kit, hi-fi sound AND (here is comes) COMFORT ACCESS (now I couldn't resist)

Hehe....I'm gonna see if it goes away by itself *PRAYS* otherwise me and dirty mechanic are going to need a few words before he touches my car - and I'll show him my gun. *evil laugh*
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 01:56 AM   #13
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I have the oposite problem. My clutch seems to not seperate properly making engaging the gears mor difficult. Thereīs nothing you can do about clutches yourself though. It need to go to the dealer. Iīve got an appointment for the 12th

I do understand your concerns for the lemon though. Itīs beautifull but even with seat covers, thereīs too much a dirty mechanic could touch and spoil. Itīs not even malice. Working on cars will get your dirty, no matter what. And even with care itīs hard not to get that dirty onto other parts of the car.

How about some plastic foil, Duct tape, a seat cover and a little preparation time for the dealer visit....
      12-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
... I noticed my clutch slipping...

As I start to pull off and as I ease off the clutch - I feel like a shudder under the pedal and in the car.
Broken1, I still do not know what it feel like when the clutch slips or shudder. Care to give more detail? For example, I pressed the clutch, shift to first gear, as I shift to first gear, I feel some resistance and I feel the gear going into place, then I ease off the clutch slowly and press on gas. At which point do you get the slip and the shudder?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho
It is not a good way to keep clutch. Try put it in the 5th, then step on the gas padal if engine spped is faster than car speed, then the clutch is bad.
Can you explain this test a little more? My wife has been "learning" how to drive on our new e90 and I want to make sure the clutch is still fresh.

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #16
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs
Can you explain this test a little more? My wife has been "learning" how to drive on our new e90 and I want to make sure the clutch is still fresh.

That test actually is quite a strain on the clutch, so unless you allready have a problem with the clutch, itīs best not to use it. Itīs not a good test to regularly check the condition of your clutch or it might be counterproductive. Better to ride with your wife every once in a while and (carefully and kindly) correct her.

Most imprtant: Theach her to take the foot of the clutch pedal when not clutch. Even very slight pressure on the clutch pedal from only gently touching the pedal while driving in gear will lead to excessive wear.

So the most important thing to learn about clutching is to engage and then put your foot on the rest until itīs time to clutch again. That has to become second nature.
      12-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes definitely have been riding with her and yelling "rest pedal" everytime I see her foot resting on clutch. However, there have been a lot of stalls and (initially) some high revving (2k-3k rpm), clutch-half-engaged-for-5-seconds starts.

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 01:58 AM   #18
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

I have same problem!!!! (feeling shudder like clutch is slipping!!) But it only happens when the car is loaded with passengers. I remember quite well it started happening after I mistakenly tried to take off from 2nd with the car full of people. Continued for a 2 days then dissapeared!

Should I take to dealer? 1 month now never had issue again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #19
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
I have same problem!!!! (feeling shudder like clutch is slipping!!) But it only happens when the car is loaded with passengers. I remember quite well it started happening after I mistakenly tried to take off from 2nd with the car full of people. Continued for a 2 days then dissapeared!

Should I take to dealer? 1 month now never had issue again.
Well if you haven't had the issue, then I wouldn't bother taking it to a dealer!

Just to update this thread aswell, my clutch shudder was due to my vibration damper pulling. It was causing excessive engine vibrations, which were being translated though the clutch as first, then the entire car as it got worse.

When the problem was fixed, I still had a clutch shudder...but now 3 days later...it's all gone ;-)

I'm happy to report my car is as good as new once again!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #20
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep

How is it possible for a new car to have tranny problem already? Most tranny units don't show signs of problem untill they are 60K miles (or thereabouts).

The problem of gear slipping is now the main topic for me, as i am looking to buy an e90.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #21
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
How is it possible for a new car to have tranny problem already? Most tranny units don't show signs of problem untill they are 60K miles (or thereabouts).

The problem of gear slipping is now the main topic for me, as i am looking to buy an e90.
Your just over-reacting... Remember that when you read a forum like this one, people will post problems they are having with their car. When people then hear about a problem they then say/think they have noticed the same thing. And for every person that has that problem there are thousands of others who don't. Yet you wouldn't get that impression from reading the board. When is the last time you saw a thread titled "I am NOT having a problem with my clutch"?

In other words... Get the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #22
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep

Well i'm not over-reacting cos i havent got the car yet. But you're partly right, case by case doesnt really paint the whole picture does it?

I'm only being sceptical cos i've experienced semi-auto tranny problems previously, which i try to play down cos i own the car but at the end i couldnt run away from reality (if you know what i mean).
Appreciate 0