E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth not flowing correctly.

06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 35i

Meth not flowing correctly.

I have the latest PROcede & Vishnu PWM meth kit.

I noticed my hazards weren't staying on solid during WOT even after doing plenty of WOT runs. I've even had to refill the WW tank so I know I've pulled enough through the lines to clear out the initial air that was there.

I took logs & can see the Meth flow isn't staying at 100% during WOT. It usually flows well through the first gear I'm in, once the car shifts the spray just drops off & hazards don't come on again.

I've removed my WW tank & cleaned it & the filter out. I've checked for leaks in the lines by jumping the boost switch.

What else could be causing this?

Thank a lot for the help guys!
      06-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Have you checked for clogs in the nozzle and at the flow sensor?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Have you checked for clogs in the nozzle and at the flow sensor?
The nozzles at the charge pipe?
The flow sensor is where the black (larger piping) goes down to the white (smaller piping)??

I've only jumped the boost switch so the pump starts up, I'm guessing that doesn't pump Meth through the flow sensor or nozzles on the charge pipe though correct??

So how do I check for clogs on those items? IE: How do I make it spray all the way to the nozzles?

Also, if either of those were clogged, would it still spray fine at first?
      06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Does the WW tank need to be air tight? IE: If a hole were in it near the top & air could leak out (but not the Meth) would that cause an issue?
      06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

You need air tight lines and connections, but don't worry about the tank. You mentioned 100% flow, but flow is a value likely between 30 to 50 for 1000cc/min depending on sensor/software. You can test the system through FAV with 6v source on the leads.

If you are in a hot climate, possible meth could be vaporizing in the line coming from the tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Since you are still using the WW tank as a meth tank, It can be your check valve that has gone bad or it is the connection where you cut the Windshield Sprayer line which might be loose and allowing air to go in. When I had WW tank as a meth tank, those were the issues i had.
      06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
You need air tight lines and connections, but don't worry about the tank. You mentioned 100% flow, but flow is a value likely between 30 to 50 for 1000cc/min depending on sensor/software. You can test the system through FAV with 6v source on the leads.

If you are in a hot climate, possible meth could be vaporizing in the line coming from the tank.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
Since you are still using the WW tank as a meth tank, It can be your check valve that has gone bad or it is the connection where you cut the Windshield Sprayer line which might be loose and allowing air to go in. When I had WW tank as a meth tank, those were the issues i had.
What did you do to keep the lines air tight?
      06-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon026 View Post
The nozzles at the charge pipe?
The flow sensor is where the black (larger piping) goes down to the white (smaller piping)??

I've only jumped the boost switch so the pump starts up, I'm guessing that doesn't pump Meth through the flow sensor or nozzles on the charge pipe though correct??

So how do I check for clogs on those items? IE: How do I make it spray all the way to the nozzles?

Also, if either of those were clogged, would it still spray fine at first?
Yes there are 2 nozzles on your charge pipe that can clog.

As far as flow sensor it's an intermediate to the nozzles on the charge pipe. I dont recall the coloring or placement.

To check for clogs you need to remove, inspect, and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
Good tip.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Could be a number of issues. I had a similar issue. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the meth line after the Fast Acting Valve and ran a tube into the my car and into a bottle. Went for a drive and as I throttled, I could see meth flowing but the Procede and the Flow sensor wasn't registering any flow or consistent flow. Sometimes, I had flow in 1 gear and then after that, nothing. My procede would go to Map 1 as it should as a failsafe. (Pain in the ass!) In my case, the issue was the flow sensor C-Clamp that failed. The metal part where the C-Clamp plugs in was fine. I got desperate here.

Before this, I replaced the Pump, Relay switch and Fast Acting Valve. I also re-located my tank in the trunk thus removing the check valve issue as well. Nothing fixed it until I replaced the C-Clamp.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

For the "T" connection, I recut the hose and plugged it back in. Followed by a ziptie around it to make it a little tighter. The check valve i just replaced.
      06-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
In my case, the issue was the flow sensor C-Clamp that failed. The metal part where the C-Clamp plugs in was fine. I got desperate here.
Any chance you could show me that c-clamp? A part number, photo, etc?

Thanks a lot everyone for the idea's!!
      06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Get another person to stand by your engine while it is on and observe the FAV. Jump the switch on the pump so it stays on . While in neutral, hit the gas and hold rpm above 3000. Press the volume down button. The person observing should hear the FAV activate and see meth flowing. This is a good way to trouble shoot.

Also, log meth flow and meth DC% and post it.

Last, get a trunk mount for your meth kit.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I bet you it's the 'C' clip (believe that's what it was referred to) that measures the meth flow and relays the info back to the Procede. I literally just had the same exact problem. It's an 80 fix. Call Rob over at Vishnu - he shipped me one ASAP.
335 XI Coupe/ RB Turbos/ JB4 w/ Wedge Backend / Meth / Inline LPFP / E85 / UUC SSK / Spec2+ SMFW / HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's / AR DP's / BMS DCI / Apex Arc-8 /Hankook Ventus V12 EVO / KWV1 / HPF Exhaust/ NGK/
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
MRVBC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Do yourself a favor and get a trunk mount tank. I didn't listen to everyone and my WW set up leaked and caught fire. Thank God not much damage happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Get another person to stand by your engine while it is on and observe the FAV. Jump the switch on the pump so it stays on . While in neutral, hit the gas and hold rpm above 3000. Press the volume down button. The person observing should hear the FAV activate and see meth flowing. This is a good way to trouble shoot.

Also, log meth flow and meth DC% and post it.

Last, get a trunk mount for your meth kit.
Thanks for the info!!

What format do I post those numbers? I just did 4 runs. I noticed I can't post .csv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVBC View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a trunk mount tank. I didn't listen to everyone and my WW set up leaked and caught fire. Thank God not much damage happened.

I agree the WW method likely isn't the most safe. Anyone care to post up some kits or the parts to switch from the WW to trunk tank with the Vishnu kit? I'd really like to switch to SS lines & connections that screw into place, not just nylon lines 'pinched' into place.

MRVBC, what exactly failed on your WW kit that couldn't have failed & caused the same problem as the WW kit? Not asking cause I doubt it, but to be more aware of what to look for, what to avoid, what would be more safe, etc.

Thanks everyone!
      06-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

So, you know when I saw your thread title I had to check it out for I truly wondered if someone here really had the balls to openly discuss their drug use; moreover, ask for help using them. LOL

Obviously, I'm not a modder of any sort, and had no idea what you were really intending to discuss, but I still had to share with you what went through my head when I saw the title. And yes, I'm thrilled, that even if you do use drugs (which is your business if you do or don't), you have better sense than to talk about it here. Surely you have seen some pretty downright stupid statements folks have made here on the forum, so please don't chide me for my initial suspicion based on your title. Even now, I wouldn't put is past someone to start a thread discussing drugs, it's just that you didn't and I presume wouldn't.

All the best to you.

Quote:
I have the latest PROcede & Vishnu PWM meth kit.

I noticed my hazards weren't staying on solid during WOT even after doing plenty of WOT runs. I've even had to refill the WW tank so I know I've pulled enough through the lines to clear out the initial air that was there.

I took logs & can see the Meth flow isn't staying at 100% during WOT. It usually flows well through the first gear I'm in, once the car shifts the spray just drops off & hazards don't come on again.

I've removed my WW tank & cleaned it & the filter out. I've checked for leaks in the lines by jumping the boost switch.

What else could be causing this?

Thank a lot for the help guys!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Go WOT in the correct meth map and hit your washers through a whole 3rd gear pull.... I bet you have a little air in the line. My WW kit does the same thing but I purge it once in a while and that helps with flow. Also if you are running above a 50% meth add on hot days meth will evap/boil in the line causing air pockets.
      06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
MRVBC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Thanks for the info!!

What format do I post those numbers? I just did 4 runs. I noticed I can't post .csv.

I agree the WW method likely isn't the most safe. Anyone care to post up some kits or the parts to switch from the WW to trunk tank with the Vishnu kit? I'd really like to switch to SS lines & connections that screw into place, not just nylon lines 'pinched' into place.

MRVBC, what exactly failed on your WW kit that couldn't have failed & caused the same problem as the WW kit? Not asking cause I doubt it, but to be more aware of what to look for, what to avoid, what would be more safe, etc.

Thanks everyone!
The filler neck had a crack and the grommets for the pump and filter and the level sensor were leaking. It took about 5 months for it to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Here is another thread with same issues. You can also see shiv's response. Talk to Vishnu and they should send you out another c-clamp sensor. It's the magnetic clip that connects to the flow sensor by the fast acting valve. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742619
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Can I also just mention to some of you guys still using the WW tank to consider a trunk mount tank. I already know over a dozen or so guys personally that had their cars go up in flames, it's really not worth it. Not to mention all the other quirks that are associated with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Definitely take your fav apart and clean. I just went through same problem. Also log iat and meth flow. Whatever you log you meth injection flow at, set you injection flow in your user adjustable setting 5 points lower than what you logged. This is assuming there are no clogs or air in line. But the fav itself could be faulty which was my issue
procede v5 rev3, afe dual cone intake, full catless exhaust with muffler delete, hm style carbon fibre lip, 235/35/19,275/30/19 satin black linea corse818, H&R sport springs, Vishnu charge pipe with forged diverter valves, matte black kidneys, mtec superwhite angel eyes and fogs, bms cdv ER fmic, VRSF coated DP. Vishnu pwm meth kit
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVBC View Post
The filler neck had a crack and the grommets for the pump and filter and the level sensor were leaking. It took about 5 months for it to happen.
Do you mean the filler neck & grommets for the pump & filter & level sensor on the WW tank itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Can I also just mention to some of you guys still using the WW tank to consider a trunk mount tank. I already know over a dozen or so guys personally that had their cars go up in flames, it's really not worth it. Not to mention all the other quirks that are associated with them.

Ok, I was already planning on doing a trunk mount but I'm going to make it a priority now.

What I'm curious about is how can I ensure no leaks do take place under the hood. It seems like most of the parts/connectors that could leak are under the hood, not the WW tank that's under the wheel well.
IE: The connection to the nylon meth line to the WW tank piping, The filter & connections, the pump & the 2 connections to the nylon piping, the flow sensor & it's 2 connections, the 'T' going to the 2 nozzles.

None of those connections are this type
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...al-nozzle.html

They are all that push to unlock grommet style. Aren't these the most likely point to fail? Or are they proven to be safe?

I wonder if something like this kit would be more safe
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-line-set.html

It doesn't look like the pump, flow sensor, or nozzles in the Vishnu kit is able to use those type of connections though.

Also, is there a tank that fits in that little mini trunk, inside the trunk? Not one of those that is $700 either...

Thanks a ton guys! This forum is proving to be extremely helpful!