BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

09-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
dab33d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 AW/FR M3

Waitlists in US legit?

I currently have 2 Deposits and am on the WL at 2 dealers in pretty good spots #4 / #7 . One of these dealers who is in the middle of nowhere in CA , promised MSRP . Anyhow, I went to a dealer yesterday with my girl to look at 528's for her and talked M with one of the sales managers there. This is what he told me:

1) Waitlists are complete bull, dealers will sell the car to anyone who is willing to pay the highest amount, regardless of position on the WL.

2) The car will be marked up 10k-20k at initial release. If you wait 3-6 months, this amount will drop to 5Kish.

My question is , how valid do you guys think this is. Basing upon previous experiences with the e46, was this the case as well. Do you think my 2 deposits (which both have been cashed) will hold up and will give me a better chance to be first to take delivery ? ALSO, what about what this sales mgr had to say? Any feedback would be appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab33d View Post

1) Waitlists are complete bull, dealers will sell the car to anyone who is willing to pay the highest amount, regardless of position on the WL.

2) The car will be marked up 10k-20k at initial release. If you wait 3-6 months, this amount will drop to 5Kish.

Well, if you lived in Iowa, you'd be able to pay MSRP and be able to order the new M3 the way you want it. I guess that's a pay-off for the crappy winters.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

That sounds more in line with ripoff crap dealers, like we have here in NV, hence my deposits are all with out of state dealers. Dont be fooled good dealers stick to their word.

Even when the new Z06 1st came out there were some dealers that were selling without any markup etc.. Perhaps you have to look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Bmwboy018
Rep
Drives: Waiting for e92 M3

Waitlists

Quote:
I currently have 2 Deposits and am on the WL at 2 dealers in pretty good spots #4 / #7 . One of these dealers who is in the middle of nowhere in CA , promised MSRP . Anyhow, I went to a dealer yesterday with my girl to look at 528's for her and talked M with one of the sales managers there. This is what he told me:

My question is , how valid do you guys think this is. Basing upon previous experiences with the e46, was this the case as well. Do you think my 2 deposits (which both have been cashed) will hold up and will give me a better chance to be first to take delivery ? ALSO, what about what this sales mgr had to say? Any feedback would be appreciated !
The best advice that i can give you is to keep an eye on those dealerships and even find out via Bmw NA how many they have received to make sure you get your allocation number. Bmw worldwide does not like customers being ripped off..... You always get some very dishonest characters out to make the quick buck "with that said, money is money", but where is the honour... If you put down your hard earned cash, you deserve the rite to have that allocation number or if one falls through earlier at the specific dealership..... They take your money incase you shop around and get one quicker via another dealerhsip.... I learnt the hard way from a cunning sales exuctive..... I demand it in writing and I watch them very carefully, so if they try and say I am number 1 and they give me number three I will know it... Its not that difficult to do.... Just have to speak to some people at the top and explain your stituation... Remeber, Bmw is out to look after there customers and will repremand those dealerhsips in a huge way who go against them.... Nobody wants to loose there dealership as its not so easy to obtain.....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:

BMW Dealers are independant companies, some are honest, some are dishonest. YMMV. If you have your deposit in at a dealer that you trust and have done business with before and they have been honest with you in prior dealings then you should be all set. If you have your deposit in with two dealers that you have worked with and have been reputable then I would say you have covered your bases.

As to what that sales mgr had to say, he is correct in that there are some dealers that undoubtly follow such practices, particularly in certain geographical areas where demand outstrips local supply, however he is wrong in the sense that his implicaiton that ALL dealers follow said practices. THere are honest dealers out there.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Welcome to California! My dealer has a standing policy not to ever charge higher than MSRP (one of the many reasons I keep going back). In fact at one time they had one of two remaining unsold Z8s in the country and still didn't charge above MSRP. I can't prove they honor the waitlist, but I am fairly sure they do.

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:

Until allocations begin Waitlists are legit if the Dealer makes it legit

Until then we are just pawns, thinking we have the M3 coming unless you get something in writing

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

You pay to play.. I timed it so that my lease would end after the new M's been out for a while and by then I hope they will have 2-3 of them on the show room.. But with the current pricing estimates I am looking elsewhere for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

The dealer that I use here in L.A. has ALWAYS had a policy of NEVER marking cars up undr any and all circumstances. Dealer mark ups are total BS.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Always get it in writing that you will be paying M>S>R>P> on the sales order. They have a tougher situation trying to slap on extra money for some rediculous demand fee,and you have it in writing. Most legit dealers will have no problem commiting to what they have put in writing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

^ As others have said some BMW dealers, especially in CA I have noticed, have policies that prevent them from charging over MSRP. However, I would nto be surprised to see other dealers marking cars up.
      09-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

I can validate the OP's point. I am ordering through MSP but I talked to the dealer where I will take courtesy delivery. My salesman who delivered my last one told me pure and simple, no wait list, 5K over MSRP, first come first served and buyers are lining up. He already knows I am just taking delivery at his dealership, not purchasing there, so he really has no motivation to BS me and I've known him a couple years now for what it's worth.
      09-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:

Thats because you live in Cali...

Markups are my dealer is unheard of and my sales guy even had customers coming from Florida when the M6 was released to get it at MSRP.

GL
      09-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
In writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathboy View Post
Always get it in writing that you will be paying M>S>R>P> on the sales order. They have a tougher situation trying to slap on extra money for some rediculous demand fee,and you have it in writing. Most legit dealers will have no problem commiting to what they have put in writing.
Yes, and also get in writing that you deposit is refundable. Since you have not seen the car yet, that is reasonable.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Alot of dealerships here in CA mark-up prices. In fact, I have yet to find one dealership here that doesn't. The one reason that I continue to purchase from Shelly BMW is because I have an extensive history with them, and can generally get around the mark-up in most situations. With the new M3, I may not be so lucky, but then again, I'm not purchasing the car right away, so I won't have to deal w/ mark-up by the time the lease on my 330i is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

When I placed my deposit, the dealer stressed the fact that the car would be MSRP, nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
dab33d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 AW/FR M3

Sup Fellas,

Thanx for the insight.. I think imma pull my deposit at the dealerwhich im #7 on WL b/c that dealer seems "sketch" and also am going to contact the other dealer to ask for something official in writing regarding the refundable deposit and also "msrp" statement. All i have right now is a confirmation email, which might not be enough ...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I can validate the OP's point. I am ordering through MSP but I talked to the dealer where I will take courtesy delivery. My salesman who delivered my last one told me pure and simple, no wait list, 5K over MSRP, first come first served and buyers are lining up. He already knows I am just taking delivery at his dealership, not purchasing there, so he really has no motivation to BS me and I've known him a couple years now for what it's worth.
I concur...I too have ordered thru military sales and no mark up infact if it holds true cost should be 10% lower than MSRP. 05 e46 M3 MSRP thru mil sales was $50k and mil sales MSRP was $44k. So my signed e92 M3 PO is for $49500 as of Sep 08 with a 30 May delivery. Hope that holds date wise but if it slips a few weeks that's okay.

I think the point is geographics...if you go to your local dealer (like I 1st did) and you're in a hot geographic area...expect to pay +MSRP as far as cost and to be further down the wait list for your order and to get your car. Two dealerships in my area were talking #6 and #15 respectively before I did my mil sales order which would have placed me somewhere around late summer 2008 to early/spring 2009 for delivery from the dealers mouths. But I also reiterate that if you have a good relationship with your dealer and have purchased before then you should be able to work out favorable terms in your favor. But otherwise its supply and demand....it seems.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #19
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

I can't get a straight answer out of the dealers in my area. I was wondering if anyone lives in WA state that is having the same problem. One dealer told me they can't take my deposit as they can't guarntee me a car on time (I need it by March 08). Another dealer told me to give him $5000 NON refundable deposit and said there is very good chance I can get it by March (that is still not guarnteed to me). The guy who wanted the five grand didn't say how much the car will be, or if it will be at MSRP. Can anyone help and give me some advice. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I have it in writing from my dealer that I'm the first person on the list and that I'll have it at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwboy018 View Post
The best advice that i can give you is to keep an eye on those dealerships and even find out via Bmw NA how many they have received to make sure you get your allocation number. Bmw worldwide does not like customers being ripped off..... You always get some very dishonest characters out to make the quick buck "with that said, money is money", but where is the honour... If you put down your hard earned cash, you deserve the rite to have that allocation number or if one falls through earlier at the specific dealership..... They take your money incase you shop around and get one quicker via another dealerhsip.... I learnt the hard way from a cunning sales exuctive..... I demand it in writing and I watch them very carefully, so if they try and say I am number 1 and they give me number three I will know it... Its not that difficult to do.... Just have to speak to some people at the top and explain your stituation... Remeber, Bmw is out to look after there customers and will repremand those dealerhsips in a huge way who go against them.... Nobody wants to loose there dealership as its not so easy to obtain.....
Nice post. I am interested in the exact method you suggest for keeping an eye on the cars that have been delivered to your dealer. Seems more difficult that you seem to allude to. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

BMWNA cares about these things. If you are #10 on the list, it would be difficult to sort things out. However, I am #4, and if I am still without an order number that I can trace on the BMW website within 3-4 months of the arrival of the first customer car in the area, I'd have a pretty strong case that they did not honor the deal and can fax the deposit slip, which say #4 @MSRP written on it, to BMWNA, or at least threaten to do so to put pressure on the dealership.
Appreciate 0