F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Placing in oil filter upside down
Studio RSR

06-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
DXL XLR8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Placing in oil filter upside down

I just did my oil change today and I placed in my oil filter without looking. After I poured in the oil I read the box and found there was a correct way to out in the filter. What will happen if its in incorrectly, and will I just be able to open it up flip it upside down and all is good without oil shooting out
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

They can go in either way - top / bottom, usually the writing on top. However if you installed incorrectly, you would not have been able to tighten the oil filter cap and the car would have had indicated low oil pressure. The dealers usually have an oil service special that is very reasonable (my dealer: $69.99 - although they use Pennzoil & not BMW oil) so not a bad idea to check out any specials they may have and not worry about this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
SmokeShank
Rep
Drives: 328xi M-Sport

YES there is a RIGHT and a WRONG way.

It depends on what filter your car requires. There are two different oil filters for the N20/26 motors. Did yours have a rubber diaphragm on the filter? If so, the rubber part points towards the motor, not into the oil filter housing cap. If it was just a Paper element filter, no rubber piece attached to it; then it doesn't matter which way the filter goes in.

Please note that if your car has the rubber part on the filter, you CANNOT use a regular filter that doesn't have the rubber gasket part to it. A regular filter (IE P/N ending in 327) uses a different sized o-ring on the filter cartridge cap and will blow oil everywhere in the engine bay. Also where the filter seals in the cylinder head will cause a low oil pressure condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
DXL XLR8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShank View Post
YES there is a RIGHT and a WRONG way.

It depends on what filter your car requires. There are two different oil filters for the N20/26 motors. Did yours have a rubber diaphragm on the filter? If so, the rubber part points towards the motor, not into the oil filter housing cap. If it was just a Paper element filter, no rubber piece attached to it; then it doesn't matter which way the filter goes in.

Please note that if your car has the rubber part on the filter, you CANNOT use a regular filter that doesn't have the rubber gasket part to it. A regular filter (IE P/N ending in 327) uses a different sized o-ring on the filter cartridge cap and will blow oil everywhere in the engine bay. Also where the filter seals in the cylinder head will cause a low oil pressure condition.
So if my car isn't giving me a low pressure warning or anything, there shouldnt be anything to worry about correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
dudespb
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E92 335i JB4 AT

it doesn't matter how to put a filter. it is quite symmetric.
Appreciate 0