F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Driver Assistance Plus Retrofit?
GetBMWParts

06-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
MVDsF30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530iX

Driver Assistance Plus Retrofit?

Girlfriends 335i was ordered and on the way. She now is interested in the driver assistance plus package mainly for the Speed Limit Info because she gets stopped and sometimes cited for her speed.

Does anyone know if this option can be added later through hardware or software (coding).

The car has Nav and driver assistance package.

Thanks for you help.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
dli1237
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 328xi

I don't have driver assistance plus, but do have Nav. You can set speed warning via iDrive, both in regular mode or Eco mode. Would that work?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dli1237
I don't have driver assistance plus, but do have Nav. You can set speed warning via iDrive, both in regular mode or Eco mode. Would that work?
I thought you needed driver assist. How can I set the speed info with nav?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I thought you needed driver assist. How can I set the speed info with nav?
You can set a max speed "WARNING" through idrive, as in, if you go faster than a certain speed, the car will warn you. That does not require driver assist, as I can set my max speed warning (and have it set at something like 90 and have never heard it).

What the OP is talking about is driver assist/ driver assist plus, which is being able to see the speed limit info in the HUD.

I have not seen anyone post about successfully retrofit a fully working version of either driver assist or assist plus. If it could be done, it would be pretty darn expensive as the car would also have to be re coded to accept the retrofitted parts. I suppose anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but a good rule of thumb with BMWs seems to be to "order it up front if you think you might want it", because there is not much support through bmw for officially retrofitting much of anything.... even things which should be easy like bmw apps for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
You can set a max speed "WARNING" through idrive, as in, if you go faster than a certain speed, the car will warn you. That does not require driver assist, as I can set my max speed warning (and have it set at something like 90 and have never heard it).

What the OP is talking about is driver assist/ driver assist plus, which is being able to see the speed limit info in the HUD.

I have not seen anyone post about successfully retrofit a fully working version of either driver assist or assist plus. If it could be done, it would be pretty darn expensive as the car would also have to be re coded to accept the retrofitted parts. I suppose anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but a good rule of thumb with BMWs seems to be to "order it up front if you think you might want it", because there is not much support through bmw for officially retrofitting much of anything.... even things which should be easy like bmw apps for example.
I misread the second post. I thought that he said he could see the speed limit information with only navigation. I agree with everything you mentioned.
Appreciate 0