E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > quick help..

09-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

quick help..

Run out to your car, stick your key in hit the start button without putting your foot on the brake.. Do you get a yellow "!" and a service engine light?.. I sure as heck do but when I start the car I get no message or anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Don't all the lights flash when you start the car? I can see my car out the window but I'm too lazy to try it right now. Haha..

I wouldn't see it as a problem unless the engine is running.
      09-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Run out to your car, stick your key in hit the start button without putting your foot on the brake.. Do you get a yellow "!" and a service engine light?.. I sure as heck do but when I start the car I get no message or anything.
Yes, this is normal. Diagnostic lights when you switch on radio mode without turning on the engine. Think of it as turning a traditional key "one click" but not actually starting the engine.

Oh, and bonus for me: (1) I could answer this question without "running out to my car"; and (2) I do not have to press down the brake to start my engine.
      09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
DaveStinsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Yes, this is normal. Diagnostic lights when you switch on radio mode without turning on the engine. Think of it as turning a traditional key "one click" but not actually starting the engine.

Oh, and bonus for me: (1) I could answer this question without "running out to my car"; and (2) I do not have to press down the brake to start my engine.
Let me guess. You have a M/T.
2008 Montego Blue Sedan- Black leather with alum. trim, Step, Active Steering, Paddles, Comfort Access, Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Nav, HD Radio, IPod & USB adapter, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStinsman View Post
Let me guess. You have a M/T.
      09-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

A BS this is normal.. Today I got in my car started it up and had a what I guess is low fluid warming light come on. E90 is officially a POS after 10 months of ownership, everything seems to be falling apart.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldy View Post
I get that low fluid light in every car I've owned. It happens about every 300 miles. Luckily, I've figured out that if I put more gas in the tank it'll turn off.
ROFL.. That actually made me crack up..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
A BS this is normal.. Today I got in my car started it up and had a what I guess is low fluid warming light come on. E90 is officially a POS after 10 months of ownership, everything seems to be falling apart.

Sorry your car is falling apart, but what I'm saying is that those particular lights are normal for when you switch on radio mode. Most cars light up dash lights like that when you switch on accessory power, and the E90 is no different.

BTW - when "low fluid warming" comes on, just warm the low fluid to turn it off.
      09-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:

Sorry your car is falling apart, but what I'm saying is that those particular lights are normal for when you switch on radio mode. Most cars light up dash lights like that when you switch on accessory power, and the E90 is no different.

BTW - when "low fluid warming" comes on, just warm the low fluid to turn it off.
I never had the yellow (!) light and the service engine light soon come on when I have done this in the past.. Yes I realize all the lights go on when you first do this but I do this at least 3 times a week when I go into my car and just do that to turn my sat radio on while I am waiting for someone.. Now the POS when I start the car has a yellow caution low coolant fluid and it keeps the caution triangle posted.. Of all times for this to happen in AZ right as its getting cool out.. I hope this can be fixed my last BMW this light would go on they would fill it up with fluid then it would be fine then bam back on in a month and bam lights back on and nothing was ever found on why this issue was happening.. I used to carry around 2 1 gallon jugs of distilled water and when the light went on I would let the car cool off and fill it back up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Now the POS when I start the car has a yellow caution low coolant fluid and it keeps the caution triangle posted.. Of all times for this to happen in AZ right as its getting cool out.. I hope this can be fixed my last BMW this light would go on they would fill it up with fluid then it would be fine then bam back on in a month and bam lights back on and nothing was ever found on why this issue was happening.. I used to carry around 2 1 gallon jugs of distilled water and when the light went on I would let the car cool off and fill it back up.
Yes, if the yellow triangle stays in the display, that means there is a pending warning message. I guess you don't have iDrive if you aren't sure what the warning icon is -- one nice thing about iDrive is that it will not only say what the icon is, it will provide a short explanation of what it means, and what to do about it.

BTW, I'm stating the obvious, but having to constantly refill coolant sounds like a leak in the coolant system. You'd think they would have fixed that on your old car.
      09-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if the yellow triangle stays in the display, that means there is a pending warning message. I guess you don't have iDrive if you aren't sure what the warning icon is -- one nice thing about iDrive is that it will not only say what the icon is, it will provide a short explanation of what it means, and what to do about it.

BTW, I'm stating the obvious, but having to constantly refill coolant sounds like a leak in the coolant system. You'd think they would have fixed that on your old car.
Oh yea.. I would even have a puddle in my garage.. I would tell them this but they did some pressure test and it passed each time.. (I now go to another dealer which is much better)

But yea if I get another BMW I will make sure to get I-drive, my brother car has it and I love it.. I was stupid not to wait and order a car but I was in a time crunch since my old BMW's warranty was up in less than a few weeks and the car had issues that were never fixed.
Appreciate 0