F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Satellite & perspective view greyed out
Extreme Powerhouse

07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Satellite & perspective view greyed out

I've just discovered that the nav options for "Satellite Images" and "Perspective view in 3D" have become permanently greyed out - they used to be selectable so something must have changed.

I haven't done any maps updates since getting the car, so it's not related to that.

Any ideas what I might need to do to get the options back?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Sorry tony, I checked my car and could not duplicate your issue (My satellite and perspective are not greyed out, and I could not change an option to make them "grey out"

I originally thought it was because you had the traffic situation map on, but I can see clearly from your screenshot it is not on.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I've just discovered that the nav options for "Satellite Images" and "Perspective view in 3D" have become permanently greyed out - they used to be selectable so something must have changed.

I haven't done any maps updates since getting the car, so it's not related to that.

Any ideas what I might need to do to get the options back?
What happens when you uncheck weather ?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

Tried to see if I could reproduce your issue but I don't have the same options, guessing you have updated nav. I don't have traffic or weather options.

Sorry couldn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for replying guys.

I should have said that this is a July 2012 build, so it's the older CIC nav system, not the new NBT system.

I've since read that a couple of other people have the same issue, and for both of them it was after inserting a USB stick with a map update on it, but not actually performing the update.

I did the same a little while ago, as I was interested to see whether it would ask for an FSC code as my car build wasn't that old. It did ask for an FSC code, so I just cancelled the installation, and it appears that that's enough for it to grey out the two options I mentioned. That's a really stupid bug, so I guess it's a trip to the dealer to get them to fix it, unless it's something I can re-code to enable it again.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Does the US have sat view?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Yes, US cars have the Sat & Perspective views.

I also tried updating the maps via USB, but it prompted for a code and I cancelled the update.

My Satellite and Perspective view options are operational and are not grayed out.

Have you tried rebooting the head-unit? With the display on, press and hold the volume/mute button for at least 30 seconds until the screen goes blank. That reboots the unit.

If that doesn't fix it, then you probably need a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

I also tried updating the maps via USB, but it prompted for a code and I cancelled the update.

My Satellite and Perspective view options are operational and are not grayed out.

Have you tried rebooting the head-unit? With the display on, press and hold the volume/mute button for at least 30 seconds until the screen goes blank. That reboots the unit.

Yes, I've tried a reboot without success. Thanks for the suggestion though,

Interesting that you've tried the update/cancel and everything still works - do you have the CIC or the new NBT nav system (mine is CIC)? Also, I'm not 100% sure that that's the problem, but the only other people who have the same issue all seem to have done the update/cancel before it happened.

I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer if I can avoid it, as I'm sure they'll update everything to the latest revision and I'll lose all my coding changes. I can put them all back again, it's just a PITA. Plus, if the car gets updated I'll then have to buy a token for the latest eSys software (my car is currently on an old enough version that I can use the free token).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

That's awsome. So does it look like google earth? Am I thinking of the correct concept?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I've tried a reboot without success. Thanks for the suggestion though,

Interesting that you've tried the update/cancel and everything still works - do you have the CIC or the new NBT nav system (mine is CIC)? Also, I'm not 100% sure that that's the problem, but the only other people who have the same issue all seem to have done the update/cancel before it happened.

I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer if I can avoid it, as I'm sure they'll update everything to the latest revision and I'll lose all my coding changes. I can put them all back again, it's just a PITA. Plus, if the car gets updated I'll then have to buy a token for the latest eSys software (my car is currently on an old enough version that I can use the free token).
I have the CIC based nav (4/2012 build).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
That's awsome. So does it look like google earth? Am I thinking of the correct concept?
Well, Satellite view looks more like an older version MS Flight simulator.

I don't find it useful and always leave it off. Plus, is really slows down map zooming in and out.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to tidy this thread up, I upgraded to the latest 2013-2 maps and the Satellite View and 3D Perspective options have come back.

I guess the moral is, don't start the map upgrade process unless you intend to finish it!
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
razzy530
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport RWD

Quote:
Thanks for replying guys.

I should have said that this is a July 2012 build, so it's the older CIC nav system, not the new NBT system.

I've since read that a couple of other people have the same issue, and for both of them it was after inserting a USB stick with a map update on it, but not actually performing the update.

I did the same a little while ago, as I was interested to see whether it would ask for an FSC code as my car build wasn't that old. It did ask for an FSC code, so I just cancelled the installation, and it appears that that's enough for it to grey out the two options I mentioned. That's a really stupid bug, so I guess it's a trip to the dealer to get them to fix it, unless it's something I can re-code to enable it again.
this same exact problem happened to me when i tried to update to 2019-1 maps. Grayed out

BMWCCA MEMBER 397411
Appreciate 0