F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2013 F30 Non HK basic amp question
proTUNING Freaks

07-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
TheCanadianStig
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i Xdrive

2013 F30 Non HK basic amp question

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 F30 320i Xdrive and I'm in Canada. I've read a lot of posts and did my research and figured out (I think !) I have the basic 6NH (no bluetooth audio streaming and regular NA 6 inch screen) with the basic 6 speakers (4x 4inch + 2 subs under seats). I can't for the life of me find the amp, is there even an amp ? I've looked under the trunk liner and I see the fuse box, there's nothing on the left of it but spare connectors. Nothing in the rear left-side panel under the removable black plastic box, and on the right side I found what I believe is the control module with some fuses and another black plastic box above the battery.

Where's the amp ! Please help
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
TheCanadianStig
Rep

No ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

I have a 320i aswell and i've been trying to get more info on our sound system. From my understanding its built into the deck and its lifeless. They increased the gains so much that even good speakers wouldn't help. I think were screwed. Most people dont know much about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
TheCanadianStig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspang86 View Post
I have a 320i aswell and i've been trying to get more info on our sound system. From my understanding its built into the deck and its lifeless. They increased the gains so much that even good speakers wouldn't help. I think were screwed. Most people dont know much about it.
Thanks for the feedback, I think you're right. I looked everywhere no amp to be found. What led me astray was a post I found on this forum explaining the 6 speaker setup WITH amp...I guess they cheapened up for 2013. No point in doing anything to the setup if the Head-unit is driving the speakers and I don't fell like installing LOC's etc...just for an external amp and speaker swap.
Anyone nice enough to swap their HK unit + Nav with my setup ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
jelecroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The car data I have, from the dealer introduction PDFs, shows a 7-channel amplifier in the left rear of the trunk. I guess that it's possible that BMW cheapened the product between 2012 and 2013 production, but I doubt it. The entry to service document says the amp is rated 25 watts x 5 channels for mid range and tweeters, plus 2 x 40 watts for the floor mounted woofers. Putting that much power into a DIN chassis would get pretty toasty, and I haven't noticed the radio head feeling warm-to-touch.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

There is no OEM amp in your F30.

The OEM audio system installed in your car is called Stereo:

- iDrive powering front, rear and underseat woofers directly
- 4 channel output split into 6 speakers: front speakers connected in parallel with underseat woofers
- front outputs are full range, rear outputs are high passed
- (4) 4" mids and (2) 6.5" woofers. No tweeters
- 25W x 4 max power high level outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadianStig View Post
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 F30 320i Xdrive and I'm in Canada. I've read a lot of posts and did my research and figured out (I think !) I have the basic 6NH (no bluetooth audio streaming and regular NA 6 inch screen) with the basic 6 speakers (4x 4inch + 2 subs under seats). I can't for the life of me find the amp, is there even an amp ? I've looked under the trunk liner and I see the fuse box, there's nothing on the left of it but spare connectors. Nothing in the rear left-side panel under the removable black plastic box, and on the right side I found what I believe is the control module with some fuses and another black plastic box above the battery.

Where's the amp ! Please help
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
how can there be no amp?

It has to be somewhere. It is probably integrated into the so called "stereo" module....
The OP is in Canada.

The USA F30 has an OEM amp standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
how can there be no amp?

It has to be somewhere. It is probably integrated into the so called "stereo" module....
The OP is in Canada.

The USA F30 has an OEM amp standard.
technic is there any upgrades we can do without breaking the bank? I've been reading other posts made by you and I think your probably the best person to ask for advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
TheCanadianStig
Rep

Thanks guys for your input special mention to Technic.

Aspang, I think the only thing you can do is install LOC and connect external amp. Driving speakers through the HU is useless, maybe a good DSP could do the trick ? Anyhoo, I give up and will live with it...for now.

Also since the car doesn't have stock amp, installing one would make me nervous since you're messing with voltages on the circuit and BMW could be assholes should there be a problem down the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
technic is there any upgrades we can do without breaking the bank? I've been reading other posts made by you and I think your probably the best person to ask for advice.
In a Stereo system for sure, you need to replace the front speakers and underseat woofers. Then add at least a 4-channel amp with high level inputs.

The front component set must have adjustable tweeter level so the boosted highs of the iDrive outputs can be neutralized -or at least minimized- without the expense and install complexity of a processor. You will need to get the OEM tweeter mounts from your local dealer.

The underseat woofers are too small (6.5") and they tend to "plop" and complain with additional power. Thus replacement with 8" is the recommended route. SWS-8, XE200, W200 may work but I have not measured the F30 underseat enclosure yet.

Any aftermarket amp with at least 10V RMS high level inputs would work directly with the iDrive outputs. If the amp has signal sensing inputs then the better. Something like the Alpine MRX-F35 would be perfect for its price.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
In a Stereo system for sure, you need to replace the front speakers and underseat woofers. Then add at least a 4-channel amp with high level inputs.

The front component set must have adjustable tweeter level so the boosted highs of the iDrive outputs can be neutralized -or at least minimized- without the expense and install complexity of a processor. You will need to get the OEM tweeter mounts from your local dealer.

The underseat woofers are too small (6.5") and they tend to "plop" and complain with additional power. Thus replacement with 8" is the recommended route. SWS-8, XE200, W200 may work but I have not measured the F30 underseat enclosure yet.

Any aftermarket amp with at least 10V RMS high level inputs would work directly with the iDrive outputs. If the amp has signal sensing inputs then the better. Something like the Alpine MRX-F35 would be perfect for its price.
ok now my next question is how would I tap into the system? right at the head unit in the dash? or through one of the speakers? also I'll need a trigger wire for the amp. where can I get that? is there a fuse in trunk that can control this? I don't want to cut any factory wires.

also what front speakers & tweeter would you suggest? I know the speakers can't be too big for clearance issues(depth)...iam not sure what to buy because of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
ok now my next question is how would I tap into the system? right at the head unit in the dash? or through one of the speakers? also I'll need a trigger wire for the amp. where can I get that? is there a fuse in trunk that can control this? I don't want to cut any factory wires.

also what front speakers & tweeter would you suggest? I know the speakers can't be too big for clearance issues(depth)...iam not sure what to buy because of this.
There are 3 options to connect to your OEM system, each requiring PnP harnesses. As stated before, if you get a signal sensing aftermarket amp then there is no need for trigger wire.

Please PM for further details.
Appreciate 0