F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > What can the dealer code?
Studio RSR

07-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
jsimon77
Rep
Drives: Active 3

What can the dealer code?

I have a new F30 AH3. I want to have some of the options coded...Folding mirrors, etc. My dealer said they would do a 1 time option code for me. What are the things they can control?

Jason
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon77 View Post
I have a new F30 AH3. I want to have some of the options coded...Folding mirrors, etc. My dealer said they would do a 1 time option code for me. What are the things they can control?

Jason
I don't know what your dealer meant by a "1 time option code", but they cannot "code your car".

Dealers only have and use ISTA/P, and thus can only program a car. E-Sys, used for coding, is factory floor software, and not something dealers have.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
jsimon77
Rep
Drives: Active 3

Hmmm. Is there anything they can code?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon77 View Post
Hmmm. Is there anything they can code?
No. They can't "code", period. ISTA/P cannot change individual ECU Function Data Lines.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
With the exception of "last selected position" for Auto Start Stop, I don't think the dealer will code a damn thing. On the contrary, if you've had some coding done and take your car in to the dealer for service, they are likely to wipe out all of your coding! It's happened to me once already.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
With the exception of "last selected position" for Auto Start Stop, I don't think the dealer will code a damn thing. On the contrary, if you've had some coding done and take your car in to the dealer for service, they are likely to wipe out all of your coding! It's happened to me once already.
True, and to clarify, the dealer will not "code" ASS, rather they will add HO-Wort (aka K Word) OMSA (Without Engine Start & Stop) to the VO, and then program the entire car.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Msport

i've read a bunch of posts/threads about this and have not come up with a clear answer: Can the dealer program things like the mirrors folding when the doors lock? or any of these other items (which i copied and pasted from another post):

•Disable Passenger Seatbelt Gong
•Disable Drivers Seatbelt Gong
•AutoStopStart Default Off
•Windows continue to rollup on Door Open
•Sidemarker Delete Left/Right (Corner Delete)
•LED Welcome Lights (under door handles) on during reverse
•Close SideMirror with Key FOB
•Open SideMirror with Key FOB
•TPMS in iDrive show Actual Pressure and Temp
•Enable Sport Display (HP / Torque)
•Close Windows with Key FOB
•Enable Sports+ Mode
•Configure Sport Mode (Enable Choices of Drivetrain, Drivetrain+Chassis, Chassis) in Sport Mode for non-VSS equipped cars.
•Fog Light Delete - Fog Lights will not illuminate during cornering OR reversing. Only turns on when fog light button is manually pressed.
      11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbnole View Post
i've read a bunch of posts/threads about this and have not come up with a clear answer: Can the dealer program things like the mirrors folding when the doors lock? or any of these other items (which i copied and pasted from another post):

•Disable Passenger Seatbelt Gong
•Disable Drivers Seatbelt Gong
•AutoStopStart Default Off
•Windows continue to rollup on Door Open
•Sidemarker Delete Left/Right (Corner Delete)
•LED Welcome Lights (under door handles) on during reverse
•Close SideMirror with Key FOB
•Open SideMirror with Key FOB
•TPMS in iDrive show Actual Pressure and Temp
•Enable Sport Display (HP / Torque)
•Close Windows with Key FOB
•Enable Sports+ Mode
•Configure Sport Mode (Enable Choices of Drivetrain, Drivetrain+Chassis, Chassis) in Sport Mode for non-VSS equipped cars.
•Fog Light Delete - Fog Lights will not illuminate during cornering OR reversing. Only turns on when fog light button is manually pressed.
No, and it is very clear regarding this. All of that is only possible with Coding. Dealers do not Code cars. They don't even have E-Sys, which is reserved for BMW factory floor technicians. They only program cars using ISTA/P, and with that you get only standard functionality based on the Vehicle Order.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

And here, endeth the discussion