M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

90mm Eisenmann race installed

I finally have my 90mm Eisenmann race exhaust with gloss black tips installed. My impressions so far are based on 2 days of regular driving and 1 track day.

Cold start is embarrassing, awesome and ridiculous all at once. You will never have to worry about your teenage son sneaking this car out while you sleep!

Acceleration etc is fantastic. This system is definitely an attention getter. If you don't want to be noticed then perhaps it might be a bit loud.

There is a noticeable "drone?" in the cabin between 1500-1900 RPM. I do not recall anything similar with the stock exhaust. I am told this will lessen with time...or perhaps I will just get used to it.

I really like the size of the 90mm tips in black. To me they fit the car perfectly. I had my installer tuck them in similar to the OEM placement so that when they are hot they are flush with the rear valence and not "poking out."

Below are a few picks.
Attached Images

Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

glad it all worked out. thank you again =)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Looks great. Rum rum
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I had the 102 mm race version installed on my M6 and you are correct...there is drone at 1500-1900 rpms. I'm told this will dissipate when 500-600 miles are attained. I'm only at 350 miles and its still there but may be subsiding a little. Anyone else know if the drone will completely disappear???
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I am told that is a characteristic of the E race version. That is why they offer the sport/street version as well, quieter with no drone.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy
I am told that is a characteristic of the E race version. That is why they offer the sport/street version as well, quieter with no drone.

Noushy
I guess I knew that. Lol. Anyone else with more info on the drone with the E race???
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I'm happy IND finally delivered you a product after a month wait bro. in my experience, the drone becomes less noticeable over time. there is nothing better than downshifting or going WOT driving in a tunnel, under an underpass or anywhere there is concrete to reverberate off of. enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks again for putting up with all the UPS shipping problems.

Enjoy the new Eisenmann
      07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion View Post
I had the 102 mm race version installed on my M6 and you are correct...there is drone at 1500-1900 rpms. I'm told this will dissipate when 500-600 miles are attained. I'm only at 350 miles and its still there but may be subsiding a little. Anyone else know if the drone will completely disappear???
I must say that after running 90 miles on the racetrack at WOT this past Monday the drone I (and you) experienced is subsiding. Either that or my ears are adapting to it. It is not as noticeable/bothersome as it was initially.

There was a 2012 E92 M3 at the track Monday with Dinan engine tune etc and a Corsa exhaust that sounded like a bat out of hell accelerating down the front straight. Very cool. I wish I could have been in the bleachers and watched/listened to my M5 do a hot lap to hear it in person.

The other notable exhaust present was a newer Z06. Not sure which exhaust it had but sounded fantastic.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
Quote:
I must say that after running 90 miles on the racetrack at WOT this past Monday the drone I (and you) experienced is subsiding. Either that or my ears are adapting to it. It is not as noticeable/bothersome as it was initially.

There was a 2012 E92 M3 at the track Monday with Dinan engine tune etc and a Corsa exhaust that sounded like a bat out of hell accelerating down the front straight. Very cool. I wish I could have been in the bleachers and watched/listened to my M5 do a hot lap to hear it in person.

The other notable exhaust present was a newer Z06. Not sure which exhaust it had but sounded fantastic.
Great! Thanks for your response. I look forward to it going away. In city driving, it's hard to keep the revs up all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

So it's been awhile, how do you feel now about your e-race drone???

Updated thoughts please?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post

Updated thoughts please?
Hey Mark,

These posts are funny. It does NOT change over time. Why logically would it? Think about it. It is EXACTLY as I told you it was. Loud cold start (not as crazy as the RPI GTS on the E60-it is just "different", throatier and deeper but loud. ALL of these exhausts have drone. Mine did not drive me nuts or drone anywhere near what the E60 RPI GTS did but it is most definitely there. People sort of get used to it and think that it disappears. It does not. They just no longer notice. E-Race is designed by Eisenmann to be their louder one and it is. Many people claim the Sport to be a bit tame because they want sound out of the exhaust. You get sound with the E-Race. The F10 cabin is far better insulated than the E60 so in addition to a little less droning exhaust, you hear even less of it due to the construction of the vehicle itself. I am cracking up over here because my wife is right here and I am asking her if it was as loud or bothered her as much as the RPI GTS did and she said "no". Prob. gonna get a similar reaction form your wife. She will not love it but she will like it better than that V10 thunder. :-) Also, on the F10 my cold start drops off pretty quick so it really was never a big deal. Still enough to make the dogs bark but then again EVERYTHING does-lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Updated thoughts please?
I think ColdList is spot on. The exhaust is loud with some "?drone" present especially when removing foot from gas pedal and coming to a stop.

Cold start is insane. Especially inside a parking garage. One of my coworkers almost fell over when walking behind my car during cold start. Caught her off guard.

That said I love it. I know if I went with a sport exhaust I would have wanted more.

Had I not ordered my E race already I would have bought the one Coldlist had up for sale! Love the black tips.

So overall I like it.

The only improvement I can think of would be a remote switch to activate a valve to give you the best of both worlds. Loud when you want it, stock when you don't.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I think ColdList is spot on. The exhaust is loud with some "?drone" present especially when removing foot from gas pedal and coming to a stop.

Cold start is insane. Especially inside a parking garage. One of my coworkers almost fell over when walking behind my car during cold start. Caught her off guard.

That said I love it. I know if I went with a sport exhaust I would have wanted more.

Had I not ordered my E race already I would have bought the one Coldlist had up for sale! Love the black tips.

So overall I like it.

The only improvement I can think of would be a remote switch to activate a valve to give you the best of both worlds. Loud when you want it, stock when you don't.
Lol! Mark (GladiatorOwner) DID but it from me! It is an especially nice set. He should have it delivered to his door by Monday. I think he is gonna love it too!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Why would the drone go away after a while? Nothing should on a the exhaust after driving it.
      07-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner

Updated thoughts please?
Nope. Lol. Still there. Must be getting used to it. Sounds incredible at WOT. Very happy overall...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I am amazed by your placement. My installer wasn't able to avoid the tips sticking out so the Eisenmann logo is visible.

This install is the best I've seen. Do you know how he did it?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Hey Mark,

These posts are funny. It does NOT change over time. Why logically would it? Think about it. It is EXACTLY as I told you it was. Loud cold start (not as crazy as the RPI GTS on the E60-it is just "different", throatier and deeper but loud. ALL of these exhausts have drone. Mine did not drive me nuts or drone anywhere near what the E60 RPI GTS did but it is most definitely there. People sort of get used to it and think that it disappears. It does not. They just no longer notice. E-Race is designed by Eisenmann to be their louder one and it is. Many people claim the Sport to be a bit tame because they want sound out of the exhaust. You get sound with the E-Race. The F10 cabin is far better insulated than the E60 so in addition to a little less droning exhaust, you hear even less of it due to the construction of the vehicle itself. I am cracking up over here because my wife is right here and I am asking her if it was as loud or bothered her as much as the RPI GTS did and she said "no". Prob. gonna get a similar reaction form your wife. She will not love it but she will like it better than that V10 thunder. :-) Also, on the F10 my cold start drops off pretty quick so it really was never a big deal. Still enough to make the dogs bark but then again EVERYTHING does-lol!
Mike, my post was just out of curiosity on how others felt after a few weeks. I know your opinion and as a result bought your e race. Lol Really looking forward to it based on yours and everyone else's response!

Quote:

So overall I like it.

Thanks, all good to know.

Quote:
Nope. Lol. Still there. Must be getting used to it. Sounds incredible at WOT. Very happy overall...
Also good to know!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I am amazed by your placement. My installer wasn't able to avoid the tips sticking out so the Eisenmann logo is visible.

No black art. Just depends on where you cut the stock pipe and where you decide to clamp the muffler to the center pipe.
      07-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mike, my post was just out of curiosity on how others felt after a few weeks. I know your opinion and as a result bought your e race. Lol Really looking forward to it based on yours and everyone else's response!!
Oh I wasn't busting your butt. Hope you didn't take it that way. Just wanting you to have true expectations. People crack me up when they tell others it will miraculously transform. Sure, there may be a slight change in note but overall it is the same. Just giving others some crap. I'm good at that!-lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

I specifically told my installer I wanted the tips recessed as close to stock as possible. He told me there is an OEM "dimple" in the stock pipe specifically designed to show where to cut to maintain stock fitment when replacing mufflers.

If your installer cut distal to that dimple then they might be able to re-cut and tuck the tips in more.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
I specifically told my installer I wanted the tips recessed as close to stock as possible. He told me there is an OEM "dimple" in the stock pipe specifically designed to show where to cut to maintain stock fitment when replacing mufflers.

If your installer cut distal to that dimple then they might be able to re-cut and tuck the tips in more.

I actually like mine sticking out a little. In profile, I think the chrome tips accent the wheels nicely. The only issue is you have to give the hot tips a wider berth when walking around the back of the car after driving.

Appreciate 0