E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need to replace brakes soon. What should I buy?

07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
JLiusifer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 & 2011 BMW X3

Need to replace brakes soon. What should I buy?

According to my onboard computer on my dash, it says that I'm due for new brakes in 8000 miles. BMW recommended new Rotors and pads. Instead of having them replace my brakes, I was planning on replacing them myself.

Question 1 - Would I need to replace the rotors as well as the pads? Or can I bring in my rotors and get them turned?

Question 2 - What type of rotors and pads would you recommend (I dont plan on racing, I would prefer pads that has less brake dust. BMW pads dusts like CRAZY)

Question 3 - Best place to buy my brake components?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiusifer View Post
According to my onboard computer on my dash, it says that I'm due for new brakes in 8000 miles. BMW recommended new Rotors and pads. Instead of having them replace my brakes, I was planning on replacing them myself.

Question 1 - Would I need to replace the rotors as well as the pads? Or can I bring in my rotors and get them turned?

Question 2 - What type of rotors and pads would you recommend (I dont plan on racing, I would prefer pads that has less brake dust. BMW pads dusts like CRAZY)

1. Usually when you bring it to the dealership, they will replace both the brake pads and rotors. But if your brake rotors look fine, you don't need to do anything to it except replacing the pads.

2. Ceramic brake pads will produce less brake dust. The stopping power won't be as good as the OEM brake pads though...

3. Some vendors here...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

You encourage of course vendors on this site.

If it doesn't work, I suggest rockauto.com

I am quite happy with my Akebono pads. They are really dust free.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:

Here are the Fronts: http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Here are the Rears: http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

* They have an option to retrofit the Z4 3.5iS rotors for the front which you might like!

I would imagine if the stock rotors still have life in them (within spec) you could save a few bucks and re-use them, however, its only a few seconds of labor to get new rotors which will be nice and thick so they won't warp over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

is it necessary to change brake rotors everytime u change the brake pads? my Rear brake pads need to be changed soon in the next 6k miles, car has done only 14k miles till date.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

I would stick with OEM parts. You can purchase updated brake pads that produce significantly less dust. I installed updated pads on the rear and wheels look nice and clean. Updated P/N for the front pads is 34116794920 and 34216790762 for rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Does anyone know which year they started making the pads dust less? Or does it not matter,that is if I just buy new pads for my 2008, it will be the newer lesser dusting variety?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]

I recommend pads, rotors, and sensors. Of course you can just replace the pads and maybe the sensor, but might as well knock it out while you down there.

Question 2 - What type of rotors and pads would you recommend (I dont plan on racing, I would prefer pads that has less brake dust. BMW pads dusts like CRAZY)?

I have StopTech and love it. I have more stopping power and less brake dust then OEM. Also a fan of Hawk. I'm not bias, so go with your favorite manufacture ceramic pads and rotors. Not necessary, but look into ss lines and fluid too. You should be able to get a complete kit for around $900.

TurnerMotorSport, Mod Bargains, ECS, or any other vendors.
      07-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
is it necessary to change brake rotors everytime u change the brake pads? my Rear brake pads need to be changed soon in the next 6k miles, car has done only 14k miles till date.

Thanks..
It can be determined by measuring the rotors thickness.

In the rear I wouldn't change them the first time. My rear pads was changed at 35K miles and at 76K miles my rotors are still fine. In the front they seem to last much longer and yes I had to change them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
You can probably keep the same rotors, id stick with OEM pads but ive used cool carbon pads with same results. Dont forget to replace the brake sensor
Appreciate 0