E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > m3 suspension on 335xi

07-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

m3 suspension on 335xi

Hey everyone, so i have decided that my next mod is going to be to upgrade to some kw v1s to clean up the sloppy xi suspension and rid myself of the nasty xi fender gap.. My question is what else can i do to improve the suspension, i have read numerous threads about m3 suspension bits on the 335i however information about m3 parts on the xi is a little more scarce.. From my research i found that it seems only rear m3 parts will work on the xi but front parts will not.. In that case is it worth it to just do the rears? I plan on doing maybe a few drags at the track a season but mostly just normal daily driving. Any input from xi guys using m3 suspension parts would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

The biggest improvements with the M3 parts are additional camber up front, along with stiffer bushings. The added camber improves turn in response and front end grip.

If you can't use the M3 front pieces, don't bother with the rears. Also, the M3 rear lower control arms require different shocks than the regular 3 series, so you'd also need to get different KW rear shocks to fit the M3 lower control arm.

you can always get a front camber plates if you feel the need for more negative camber up front. But for what you said about your driving, you probably won't benefit much from them
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
The biggest improvements with the M3 parts are additional camber up front, along with stiffer bushings. The added camber improves turn in response and front end grip.

If you can't use the M3 front pieces, don't bother with the rears. Also, the M3 rear lower control arms require different shocks than the regular 3 series, so you'd also need to get different KW rear shocks to fit the M3 lower control arm.

you can always get a front camber plates if you feel the need for more negative camber up front. But for what you said about your driving, you probably won't benefit much from them
Thanks man, so basically i should be okay with just some v1s or do you have any other suggestions of things i can upgrade while im doing the coils.. I would like to take care of everything suspension related in one shot and not look back
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Thanks man, so basically i should be okay with just some v1s or do you have any other suggestions of things i can upgrade while im doing the coils.. I would like to take care of everything suspension related in one shot and not look back
You are correct that the front M3 suspension components are not compatible with your xi model. Your best option would be a coil over kit. In addition, even adding the rear M3 components will dramatically improve the handling and feel of your car. I did the rear components separately from the front and I noticed a HUGE improvement in rear end predictability and control. Let us know if you have any further questions!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
You are correct that the front M3 suspension components are not compatible with your xi model. Your best option would be a coil over kit. In addition, even adding the rear M3 components will dramatically improve the handling and feel of your car. I did the rear components separately from the front and I noticed a HUGE improvement in rear end predictability and control. Let us know if you have any further questions!

-Mike
Thanks i appreciate it and as mentioned above, do the rear m3 control arms definitely require different shocks? Also would you be able to tell me exactly what m3 parts would be suitable for my car it is an e92 335 xdrive and i am getting kw v1 coils.. Lastly if i do wind up getting the m3 rear parts would you recommend replacing the front with new oe 335 suspension parts such as new control arms and bushings?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
I first had H&R springs and bilstein shocks which created a super harsh ride on New Jersey roads plus the rear was too low and the the front not low enough. I then swapped the H&R springs with some 335i Eibach springs and the drop was perfect and the ride comfort was much improved. The car still felt a little sloppy and unpredictable. Then I got rear M subframe bushings and rear M swaybars and WOW what an improvement. I have no idea what the poster above was talking about when he said not to do the rear M parts. That is just not true. Now if we could on improve the steering response/ratio I would be in heaven. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi
I first had H&R springs and bilstein shocks which created a super harsh ride on New Jersey roads plus the rear was too low and the the front not low enough. I then swapped the H&R springs with some 335i Eibach springs and the drop was perfect and the ride comfort was much improved. The car still felt a little sloppy and unpredictable. Then I got rear M subframe bushings and rear M swaybars and WOW what an improvement. I have no idea what the poster above was talking about when he said not to do the rear M parts. That is just not true. Now if we could on improve the steering response/ratio I would be in heaven. Good luck.
did the bushings make it harsher at all ?
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
Thank you, it is always nice to have someone with first hand experience to give feedback.. So all you did was the bushings and sway bars and noticed a big difference? Would that be sufficient enough paired up with KW V1 coilovers? (I am not going to heavily track the car, mostly daily driving). Or do you think its worth it to do the rear guide rods and rear upper links also?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

It really all depends on what you want. Since you are getting V1s, I would assume you just want the car to have a nice drop and a somewhat improved handling situation. I would recommend splurging on a proper set of coils just because you will want to upgrade the slushy oem shocks later on. In terms of the M3 bits, I would recommend the bushings, guide rod, upper links, and rear sway (personal preference). The rear M3 control arms do require different shocks. My recommendation would be to save up, get a nice set of coils and do the M3 suspension bits all at once. You won't regret it.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xtrai View Post
did the bushings make it harsher at all ?
I wouldn't say harsh but it did get a little more stiff. I feel the shocks and springs doing the work now instead of the subframe/body of the car. I have had them for about 2 months and have 0 regrets.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Thank you, it is always nice to have someone with first hand experience to give feedback.. So all you did was the bushings and sway bars and noticed a big difference? Would that be sufficient enough paired up with KW V1 coilovers? (I am not going to heavily track the car, mostly daily driving). Or do you think its worth it to do the rear guide rods and rear upper links also?
Well I am not sure since I haven't driven a car with the rods and links but knowing how my MOD addiction is I am sure it won't be long before I try them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
It really all depends on what you want. Since you are getting V1s, I would assume you just want the car to have a nice drop and a somewhat improved handling situation. I would recommend splurging on a proper set of coils just because you will want to upgrade the slushy oem shocks later on. In terms of the M3 bits, I would recommend the bushings, guide rod, upper links, and rear sway (personal preference). The rear M3 control arms do require different shocks. My recommendation would be to save up, get a nice set of coils and do the M3 suspension bits all at once. You won't regret it.

-Mike
so KW v1 work ok w/ M3 control arms on 335xi?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
so KW v1 work ok w/ M3 control arms on 335xi?
Yes. The control arm kit is a completely separate application and isn't dependent on strut selection.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
Well I am not sure since I haven't driven a car with the rods and links but knowing how my MOD addiction is I am sure it won't be long before I try them.
So I'm a Pre-LCI 335xi e90 with sport pack. I'm interested in doing a suspension upgrade and have heard about this M3 e90 suspension conversion kit that Tisher has available. But I've also heard that the front swaybar won't fit. Is there an awesome Frankenstein suspension setup which is the way to go on my car??

Like say getting KW v3's for the M3 coupled with the full rear M3 suspension conversion? Since the M3 front sway bar won't fit... is there another after market product which is suggested to use? Any other parts that won't fit on my 335xi which I can look for in after market parts? I'm not looking to lower my car, i just want a better handling ride (I've already ditched the RFTs).

I'm more of a one shot kinda guy when it comes to modding, I like to get all my parts together and just have my shop just do it all in one go. After I do this conversion... when I get my alignment done... do they put it on the machine saying it's an M3 and use those specs or still use the 335xi specs to dial it in?

Final question... would I need to get camber plates? If so which kind should I get? What happens to that locking pin for the camber... is that removed permanently or do I still use it?
Appreciate 0