ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Question How to install bumper support bracket?

There's a gap between my passenger side bumper and the fender and the dealership guys told me I need a new "bumper support bracket" (pt # 51117165180) which is $25 online. I don't want to pay them $250 which is what they have quoted for the job so I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace this part! It's #21 in the diagram:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If you mean part #21 on the diagram, you'll need to remove the front bumper (which is actually surprisingly easy to do).

First, check and see if the bumper is attached from the bottom via expanding rivets to the splash shield. If so, remove the rivets. Then remove all the expanding rivets on the wheel well. Keep the pins that you pop out of the rivet. I'm pretty sure there's 2 10mm screws holding the wheel well plastic to the bumper on each side too, remove those. There should be a 10mm screw holding the wheel well to the support bracket, remove that. On the diagram there's about half a dozen torx screws holding the bumper to a cross member on the front of the car that you can remove from within the engine compartment. Remove them. Reach in and disconnect the harness for the temperature sensor, remove harness for fog light, and any other sensor/electrical harness you can find behind the bumper. Pull bumper forward, it should slide forward slightly. As you pull the bumper forward you should see the top edge of the bumper sliding against the bumper support bracket. Once the bumper falls off of the support bracket, catch it.

You should see two 10mm bolts holding the support bracket to the chassis. They're attached to two slots that allow you to move the bracket up and down or forward and backwards. If the track on the support bracket is broken you will need to replace the bracket. If not you should be able to adjust the bracket accordingly to get a better fit of the bumper.

This is straight off of memory so if I missed something, I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Another bimmerfest member. Welcome!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Thanks a bunch! I have ordered the part. Will start the work soon as I get it
Appreciate 0