F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > found the perfect F30 but no upgraded sound. need to upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

found the perfect F30 but no upgraded sound. need to upgrade

I am picking up a F30 335 this week. The problem is it has every package besides upgraded sound. My last car was the same way and i absolutely hated it. I want to go aftermarket this time around. My goals are for it to be better than stock upgraded sound, have high enough highs and enough bass aswell, and for it to be pretty easy to return to stock. I currently own a jl audio 12 inch W6 and that it. I believe I can also get an amp for free just need to know what power. I dont want to spend more than 1500 dollars but if it is necessary i definitely am able to. I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what I need to upgrade to reach my goals.
Thanks,
Connor

ps:
I listen to mostly rap but also listen to EDM, rock, death metal
      07-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I am picking up a F30 335 this week. The problem is it has every package besides upgraded sound. My last car was the same way and i absolutely hated it. I want to go aftermarket this time around. My goals are for it to be better than stock upgraded sound, have high enough highs and enough bass aswell, and for it to be pretty easy to return to stock. I currently own a jl audio 12 inch W6 and that it. I believe I can also get an amp for free just need to know what power. I dont want to spend more than 1500 dollars but if it is necessary i definitely am able to. I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what I need to upgrade to reach my goals.
Thanks,
Connor

ps:
Less than $700:
- XD400/4 and XD500/3 amps: Front and rear OEM speakers powered by the 400/4 and OEM underseat woofer and JL Audio sub by the 500/3.
- F30 HiFi harness

Less than $1000
- Replace front OEM component set with the DLS UP4 component set
- mounting adapters and OEM connectors for front

Less than $1500 (either)
- Add 3SIXTY.3 processor and an OEM center tweeter
or
- Replace OEM woofers with Jehnert XE200 and OEM woofer connectors
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Less than $700:
- XD400/4 and XD500/3 amps: Front and rear OEM speakers powered by the 400/4 and OEM underseat woofer and JL Audio sub by the 500/3.
- F30 HiFi harness

Less than $1000

Less than $1500 (either)
or
damn those amps are cheap in the states....its almost double the cost up here in Canada...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Thanks,
Connor

ps:
Less than $700:
- F30 HiFi harness

Less than $1000

Less than $1500 (either)
or
Thanks a lot tech. Sothe oem speakers aren't to bad just need some more power?
      07-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Thanks,
Connor

ps:
Less than $700:
- F30 HiFi harness

Less than $1000

Less than $1500 (either)
or
I can get any amp from jbl or Harmon kardon for free because my close friend works for AKG. Any from them you would specifically recommend. I appreciate the help
      07-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can get any amp from jbl or Harmon kardon for free because my close friend works for AKG. Any from them you would specifically recommend. I appreciate the help
Amp needs to have balanced inputs to work directly with the iDrive outputs.

If you can get a JBL MS-8, a pair of GTO-804EZ and a GTO-751EZ then it will work fine. More than fine if in fact you can get them for free.

Last edited by Technic; 07-26-2013 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Amp needs to have balanced inputs to work directly with the iDrive outputs.

If you can get a JBL MS-8, a pair of GTO-804EZ and a GTO-751EZ then it will work fine. More than fine if in fact you can get them for free.
is that 4 amps in total?
      07-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
is that 4 amps in total?
The MS-8 is a processor/amp. The amp section will not be used with the other 3 amps.

The suggestion is because they could be free, not because it is the best option.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The MS-8 is a processor/amp. The amp section will not be used with the other 3 amps.

The suggestion is because they could be free, not because it is the best option.
but it is the best in terms of sound i presume? what is the best option just incase becuase i feel kind of awkward asking for 4 different products, you know?
      07-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
but it is the best in terms of sound i presume? what is the best option just incase becuase i feel kind of awkward asking for 4 different products, you know?
IMO, that JBL combo plus your sub will surpass the HK in sound quality, clarity and loudness by quite a lot. I would replace the front speakers with the DLS and add an OEM speaker to the existing OEM mid in the center, though.

If you do not want to push your friend too much then the other option is to ask for the MS-8 and the GTO-3EZ: MS-8 powering front/rear/center speakers and the 3EZ powering the underseat OEM woofers and the sub.

The sub will make the job of the OEM woofers much better, so no need of replacement or additional power. They sound quite impressive with extra power and processor tuning.

Even if you pay yourself for those JBL products your cost would be less than $600 + PnP install cost, and that's quite a deal for an F30 audio upgrade. Front and underseat replacements will put your budget again to ~$1300.

Anything better than that and your budget will exceed your $1500 by quite an amount just because you will have to pay for the main parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IMO, that JBL combo plus your sub will surpass the HK in sound quality, clarity and loudness by quite a lot. I would replace the front speakers with the DLS and add an OEM speaker to the existing OEM mid in the center, though.

If you do not want to push your friend too much then the other option is to ask for the MS-8 and the GTO-3EZ: MS-8 powering front/rear/center speakers and the 3EZ powering the underseat OEM woofers and the sub.

The sub will make the job of the OEM woofers much better, so no need of replacement or additional power. They sound quite impressive with extra power and processor tuning.

Even if you pay yourself for those JBL products your cost would be less than $600 + PnP install cost, and that's quite a deal for an F30 audio upgrade. Front and underseat replacements will put your budget again to ~$1300.

Anything better than that and your budget will exceed your $1500 by quite an amount just because you will have to pay for the main parts.
thank you for the help. I asked for the 4 products to see what he can do. If not i will be going with the ms-8 and gto-3ez. Do you have a website or a company?If i decide to do front and underseat replacemtn or need any other parts i want to order from you. thanks again
      07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
thank you for the help. I asked for the 4 products to see what he can do. If not i will be going with the ms-8 and gto-3ez. Do you have a website or a company?If i decide to do front and underseat replacemtn or need any other parts i want to order from you. thanks again
This is a hobby for me... I only sell PnP harnesses and install custom parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

what is the benefit of running the 3 amps as opposed to the ms8 and gto-3ez or something like the gto-5ez?
      07-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
what is the benefit of running the 3 amps as opposed to the ms8 and gto-3ez or something like the gto-5ez?
The benefit is more control of the audio. You can further adjust gains on separate pairs of speakers independently of the MS-8 adjustments.

If you are a picky audio guy then it will matter. If you are not then it won't.

The MS-8 internal amp is quite loud with 2ohms speakers (your HiFi system has 2ohms speakers all around) so you will have plenty of loudness out of those speakers and plenty of punch with the aftermarket amp powering the mid and sub bass woofers. It will work nicely with less install complexity.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The benefit is more control of the audio. You can further adjust gains on separate pairs of speakers independently of the MS-8 adjustments.

If you are a picky audio guy then it will matter. If you are not then it won't.

The MS-8 internal amp is quite loud with 2ohms speakers (your HiFi system has 2ohms speakers all around) so you will have plenty of loudness out of those speakers and plenty of punch with the aftermarket amp powering the mid and sub bass woofers. It will work nicely with less install complexity.
thanks for the help. I really appreiate it. Gonna order the ms8 and gto-3ez or maybe a 5ez. Is there anything i need for installation or to tell the installer besides the amps, and a sub enclosure?
      07-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the help. I really appreiate it. Gonna order the ms8 and gto-3ez or maybe a 5ez. Is there anything i need for installation or to tell the installer besides the amps, and a sub enclosure?
You need an F30 PnP HiFi harness to integrate that MS-8 to the OEM system without cutting, splicing or tapping any OEM wires.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need an F30 PnP HiFi harness to integrate that MS-8 to the OEM system without cutting, splicing or tapping any OEM wires.
and i can purchase that from you correct?
      07-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
nmf69
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 320d

Quote:
Less than $700:
- F30 HiFi harness

Less than $1000

Less than $1500 (either)
or
Hi Technic,

I wonder if the second option (less than 1000$) wouldn't cause any impedance problems...I reckon something similar on the E90 with basic audio (no hifi)...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

awesome information here....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmf69 View Post
Hi Technic,

I wonder if the second option (less than 1000$) wouldn't cause any impedance problems...I reckon something similar on the E90 with basic audio (no hifi)...
This is the HiFi system... all the speakers are 2ohms, as stated before. Although the suggestions here are incremental (the OEM amp is gone by the first suggestion and the other 2 suggestions add on top of the first one) you can go higher (4ohms) with the OEM amp.

Impedance problems are when any amp (OEM or aftermarket) is not stable at 2ohms and 2ohms speakers are installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
struckinc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

i have the nbt headunit with wifi speakers, which sounds worse than the stock headunit. can i also use the jbl ms-8 to increase the sound? i was told that the nbt has low output, designed for use with an external amp. how hard would it be to tie teh ms-8 with the rest of the stock stuff?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Is there a place I can just take the car in and they can recommend and install the upgraded parts. I was going to wait for BSW but their system was not out the last time I checked. Should I wait for that

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0