E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How to start tracking?

09-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
digi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

How to start tracking?

Hey guys, I really want to start going to tracks( courses, not dragstrips) but I'm not sure where to start. I am completely new to this and about the only track/autox experience I have is at the bmw pdc in SC when we picked up my brother's m3. My question is where do I start? Do I need to go to a driving school, or do I just call up a race track nearby and ask for schedule and info? And for those that have experience, what tracks on the southeast coast are appropriate/fun for novices like myself? I've always wanted to utilize the performance cars I get for something other than the occasional spirited drive on unpredictable public roads. Any help, links, info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

BMW Driver's Education course. Try your local BMW CCA chapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
BMW Driver's Education course. Try your local BMW CCA chapter.
Yup. Go to www.bmwcca.org and sign up! You'll get all the Driver's Ed info from your local bmwcca chapter.

You'll need to get a tech inspection for your car prior to going to an event, and you will need a snell 2005 approved helmet. All of those details will be on your bmwcca site. Other than that...enjoy
      10-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

There are a number of good ways to get started, but attending as many schools as possible is a great idea!

BMW CCA schools are a good value for the money because they offer excellent instruction, lots of track time and strict safety measures. If your local BMW CCA Chapter does not offer enough schools to meet your taste, try the local Porsche clubs also.

Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant remain top notch schools with many different programs for people at different levels. I also recommend a high end karting school as a good primer.

I strongly urge you not to just go track your car without good instruction or else you can end-up like this guy
. This guy did everything wrong, was in the wrong place on the track at all times and was driving his car way beyond his limit. None of which would have happened had a good instructor been sitting next to him I suspect.

I really believe that the best way to learn is to start with auto-x. Do a dozen or so of these and then go to track events. IMHO auto-x if very good at exposing you to the subtleties of vehicle dynamics in a low speed, very safe environment. Once you master fine car control skills you will be better suited to tackle track days.

I hope this helps!
      10-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
+1 BMW CCA schools are very good and for the most part safe and have very good instruction. I'm taking my wife out for her first one this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

all of the above, but dont need to limit yourself to cca events, there are tons of other clubs out there that do track days, if you watch them all not sure about there but here i think you could do at least 2 track days a month if you wanted
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post

I strongly urge you not to just go track your car without good instruction or else you can end-up like this guy
. This guy did everything wrong, was in the wrong place on the track at all times and was driving his car way beyond his limit. None of which would have happened had a good instructor been sitting next to him I suspect.
HOLLY WOW

i CANNOT believe that car started

the vids kinda washed out, i cant really see how he lost it, it looks like he just spun O_o
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
HOLLY WOW

i CANNOT believe that car started

the vids kinda washed out, i cant really see how he lost it, it looks like he just spun O_o
My guess is that he came in too hot, lifted hard or tapped the brakes. Weight shifted forward HARD -----game over.

Been there, done that, luckily I recovered.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
My guess is that he came in too hot, lifted hard or tapped the brakes. Weight shifted forward HARD -----game over.
he didnt though, hes smooth on the throttle if you listen, it sounds like he hit a bump of some sorts, but he didnt (unless thats him pressing and releasing the throttle three times really fast in a row like that, dont know why he would)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

You have to really know that track to understand what happened there. WSIR is a brutal, unforgiving track. The prior turn, turn 8, he took wrong by staying tight to the inside all the way around. For comparison purposes I was taking that corner at about 105 (and at WOT) in my stock X3 and about 110 in my stock Civic Si (also at WOT) so I imagine he was going much faster in that Evo. By taking the line he took, he missed the only available straight braking area to set-up for turn 9 which is visually deceptive.

Turn 9 is a right turn that is about 50 degrees or so. The apex is really late because the exit to 9 is where the entrance to pit lane is. The pavement ends early on the exit of 9 and if you go off there you end up in dirt, going fast, with the wall separating the hot pit from the front straight right there.

The guy in the video turned-in way too early and way too fast, went off at the exit of 9 and backed into the wall. He was simply in the wrong place on the track (as he was in every single corner in that video) and going WAY too fast. He almost lost it a few turns earlier at turn 3 and had he gone off there, he would have been embarrassed and dusty, but his car would have been in tact. There are two places on WSIR that you simply do NOT go off...turn 5 (which points distinctly downhill and an off there will cause the car to cartwheel a few times) and turn 9.

The exterior photos demonstrate quite clearly why a full roll cage is important. Did you notice how the rear of the car was gone right up to the cage? That guy is lucky that he walked away.
      10-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
all of the above, but dont need to limit yourself to cca events, there are tons of other clubs out there that do track days, if you watch them all not sure about there but here i think you could do at least 2 track days a month if you wanted
In the NorCal ..you could easily do 15 track days per month.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #12
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
In the NorCal ..you could easily do 15 track days per month.
hate you

hows that quafe? any difficulty w/ the install

im thinking about getting one
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:
There are a number of good ways to get started, but attending as many schools as possible is a great idea!

BMW CCA schools are a good value for the money because they offer excellent instruction, lots of track time and strict safety measures. If your local BMW CCA Chapter does not offer enough schools to meet your taste, try the local Porsche clubs also.

I really believe that the best way to learn is to start with auto-x. Do a dozen or so of these and then go to track events. IMHO auto-x if very good at exposing you to the subtleties of vehicle dynamics in a low speed, very safe environment. Once you master fine car control skills you will be better suited to tackle track days.
Excellent advice!

The only thing I'd add is some reading to get your head in the right space and likely get more out of the schools.

My two favorite driving books are:
Speed Secrets by Ross Bently and
Going Faster by Skip Barber.

Have fun!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

+1 for "Going Faster" by Skip Barber
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hate you

hows that quafe? any difficulty w/ the install

im thinking about getting one
Seriously..with NASA, Hooked on Driving, SCCA street school, BMW Club, Audi Club, Speed Ventures, Green Flag Racing, Northern California Racing Club, Miata Club, Shelby Club, and PCA...you could probably do 20 days per month..if that is all you wanted to do.

Quaife is NOT installed yet..really needed it this weekend at Infineon...should get it installed in the next two weeks...I am sick of seeing the box in my garage. :-)

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
+1 on Going Faster... Great book!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
RuleTheBends
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
+1 on Going Faster... Great book!
I'll look into this as well, thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant remain top notch schools with many different programs for people at different levels. I also recommend a high end karting school as a good primer.

I hope this helps!
that's vid is nutz!
      10-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
thought I'd spice up this thread with a pic...here I am in my first BMWCCA school at the intermediate level. Accelerating onto the front straight at Putnam Park Road Course, Mt. Meridian IN.

Car is stock except Kosei K1's 17x8.5+Kumho Exsta MX 225/45
Attached Images

10-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #20
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
that's vid is nutz!
Yeah..after turn #8...you gotta slow a bit for turn #9. He was early apexing turn #8...which screwed up his exit on turn #9.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:42 AM   #21
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblument View Post
thought I'd spice up this thread with a pic...here I am in my first BMWCCA school at the intermediate level. Accelerating onto the front straight at Putnam Park Road Course, Mt. Meridian IN.

Car is stock except Kosei K1's 17x8.5+Kumho Exsta MX 225/45
Man those are some skinnies! Did you consider 245s or 255s on those Koseis? that's what I'm thinking of doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #22
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Digi,

Since you indicate that you live in the Southeast, this website should prove helpful -

http://www.trackschedule.com/

Click on Calendar and you'll see a lot of choices. I've done two weekends at Road Atlanta with the BMWCCA, and a weekend at Roebling Road (Savannah) with Seat-Time. I would recommend both whole heartedly. You need to do your homework ahead of time, though, because the events can sell out quickly so you need to get in the loop as to when to register.

One warning - it's incredibly addictive!