F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 suspension heirarchy
ARMA SPEED

07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

F30 suspension heirarchy

Somehow even after reading the gazillion threads about it, I am still confused by what kinds of suspension exist and what they are!

So I thought it would be useful to create a thread with info (I'm sure it will be useful to other noobs), please share your info here:

So we have (from bottom to top)

- xdrive suspension which is the softest, regardless of what line it is UNLESS you have some kind of "m" package added (is that correct?)

- Default suspension in baseline, comfortline and luxuryline (some people reporting baseline is slightly firmer than comfort/luxury on some threads - is that true?)

- The sportline (which is basically just firmer suspension without adaptive-anything - and therefore is somewhat firmer than base but not as firm as adaptive, to allow for better ride? is that correct?)

- Adaptive suspension, which basically changes between comfort mode, sport mode and Eco pro mode

... and beyond this I am lost.:

- What is M-Sport?

- What is M-Performance?

- What is M-Adaptive?

- Are Adaptive and M-Adaptive the same thing?

- What does Dynamic Handling Package add to these?

These are from factory. Now for after-purchase (OEM) upgrade at the dealer, which of these is the upgrade that dealers give for the baseline, comfortline, luxuryline and sportline? Are they worth buying?

More confusing is the fact that the M performance site does not list ANY options in USA if 328i is selected. It shows options only for 128i.

Let's come to aftermarket upgrades later - I want to figure out the BMW ones first .

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-24-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Anyone? If not ill add the details once I understand this stuff a little better . I do have a somewhat clearer understanding after reading a few more threads.
      07-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Can't speak from experience as I have not driven an F30.

Dynamic Handling Package is supposed to be the best(sporty) in terms of factory options IIRC..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Stillhart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Here's what I have gleaned from reading up a lot. Keep in mind, I'm new here and don't even own an F30 yet (but I'm actively shopping for one and expect to buy soon).

Quote:
1- xdrive suspension which is the softest, regardless of what line it is UNLESS you have some kind of "m" package added (is that correct?)

2- Default suspension in baseline, comfortline and luxuryline (some people reporting baseline is slightly firmer than comfort/luxury on some threads - is that true?)

3- The sportline (which is basically just firmer suspension without adaptive-anything - and therefore is somewhat firmer than base but not as firm as adaptive, to allow for better ride? is that correct?)

4- Adaptive suspension, which basically changes between comfort mode, sport mode and Eco pro mode
1+2 - Not sure about the difference between the xdrive and the base suspension. I think the main differences are further on.

3 - Sport line and M Sport line come with the M Sport suspension. The M Sport suspension on the RWD will lower the car by 10mm. On the xdrive it won't. This is the best passive (non-active/adaptive) suspension you can get stock.

4 - M Adaptive Suspension comes with the Dynamic Handling Package (along with the Variable Speed Steering). In the US, you can't get either of those things without the DHP. It's not unanimously agreed to be better than the M Sport, but I'd say more people like it than not. It's harder to mod the adaptive suspension so if you plan on modding, go with the M Sport and save some bucks. You can change the settings based on the drive mode.

5 - M Performance Suspension is the sportiest suspension, which driving enthusiasts would say is the best of what's listed here. It is an aftermarket OEM purchase. You can get it installed on your new car at the port to save money on labor costs, but you can also get it retrofitted. It's easier to install over the existing M Sport suspension than the base suspension. This is a passive setup.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

So here's my attempt to make things clear, from what little I've understood so far. Hope this is useful for clueless people like me at a glance. (I'm really a newbie so please do correct me as needed):

Terms used:
- DHP: Dynamic handling package
- Passive: Suspension is fixed, doesn't change between sport and comfort modes.
- Active: Suspension is active, changes stiffness between sport and comfort modes.

In order of good to best, from "sporty" perspective (not comfort perspective):

1. Xdrive suspensions without the DHP:

This comes with the softest suspension and has the most roll. Perhaps because the car sits higher.
Note: You cannot add M-Performance Suspension later! You cannot add DHP after-purchase either.
Also Note: Even the "sportline" xdrive comes with non-sport suspension.

So if you do get Xdrive, get one with DHP or know that this is the softest suspension in the lineup.

2. Baseline / Noline / Comfortline / Luxuryline suspension without msport or DHP:

This is also a soft suspension. Rolls about as much as a Camry.
Good for after-purchase addons though, except the DHP can't be added after the fact. Can go for the expensive dealer-installed M-Performance suspension or non-OEM options (with warranty risks).

Car sits lower (by how much?) than xdrive (1).

3. Sportline non-xdrive or msport WITHOUT the DHP, or baseline/luxuryline/comfortline WITH M-Sport but not DHP

This is a passive suspension but MUCH stiffer than (2). Does have the handling feel that one associates with a bimmer.

Note: "Sport" and "Msport" are basically the same thing.

Car sits 10mm lower than (2).

4. xdrive with DHP
See 5.

5. Non-xdrive with DHP
The DHP is adaptive, meaning it changes stiffness between comfort and sport modes. Better than (3) when in Sport mode and more comfortable than (3) when in comfort mode. Highly recommended to purchase the car with this option. Cannot be added after buying the car.

Note: "Adaptive" and "M-Adaptive" are basically the same thing.

Car sits 10mm lower than even (3).. except the xdrive which still sits high? I am not sure about xdrive ride height with DHP.

6. M-performance suspension.
This is not a factory option, it is a dealer-installed thing. It could be installed by the dealer prior to the purchase, or after purchase. It is basically a BMW-provided aftermarket upgrade. It can be done after buying, but that becomes expensive (with some people getting $4000 quotes for labour alone).

Note:
This CANNOT be fitted on Xdrive cars.

If doing this on baseline/comfortline/luxuryline cars:
- Need to buy install msport-spec stabilizer bars (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy M-performance springs (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy the M-performance kit
- Need to pay for labour for all of the above.

If doing this on sportline / msport without DHP
- Your car already has the needed stabilizer bars
- Need to buy M-performance springs (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy the M-performance kit
- Need to pay for labour for all of the above.

Not clear if this can be done on cars with DHP or not. But if it is done, it will basically throw away the dynamic (adaptive) nature of DHP, which is a colossal waste. Not recommended if the car already has DHP.

Car sits even 10mm lower than (5), lowest in BMW-provided suspensions.

Hope I got at least some of that correct.. lol!

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-27-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks Stillhart. Looks like we replied in parallel, with mostly the same understanding

On M-Perf, when buying my car the SA told me that it isn't any cheaper to install at port. Maybe that applies if the dealer already had it installed before a buyer getting installed? I'm not sure. Maybe that boils down to negotiating skills
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Stillhart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Thanks Stillhart. Looks like we replied in parallel, with mostly the same understanding

On M-Perf, when buying my car the SA told me that it isn't any cheaper to install at port. Maybe that applies if the dealer already had it installed before a buyer getting installed? I'm not sure. Maybe that boils down to negotiating skills
Weird, maybe it's the MPPK that's cheaper to install at port. One of them...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 10mm lower on the M-perf, which also applies to the xdrive, (though the xdrive is 20mm lower since it won't have been 10mm lower from the m-sport.)
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Is the mperf available on xdrive too then? If so, I stand corrected.
      07-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

M Performance is at the top level of performance with a FACTORY backed warranty.

When I was tossing it around at a local CCA, the instructors were honestly amazed at how well it handled, and that it was keeping up with M3's.

I would say it's about 25% less stiff than an M3 from my personal experience.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Is the mperf available on xdrive too then? If so, I stand corrected.
No it's not.
Only on RWD 335i's right now (as far as I know)....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks shivaswrath. You must be the guru of BMW suspensions now. BMW should hire you or something
      07-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
Dr.HiTcH
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i sport

Do all the sportline 335i have the M SPORT SUSPENSION?? or its only special option in some of the sportline f30..
im asking that beacuse my sportline 335i feels soft in cornering while in comfort, even in sport it feels stiffer but to the extent i want. So how do i know if mine had the M SPORT SUSPENTION?
THANKS
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

The sport/comfort/ecopro settings have nothing to do with the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.HiTcH View Post
Do all the sportline 335i have the M SPORT SUSPENSION?? or its only special option in some of the sportline f30..
im asking that beacuse my sportline 335i feels soft in cornering while in comfort, even in sport it feels stiffer but to the extent i want. So how do i know if mine had the M SPORT SUSPENTION?
THANKS

Correct, all RWD Msport or Sportline's have the same Msport suspension (to which you can add the adaptive dampers with the DHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The sport/comfort/ecopro settings have nothing to do with the suspension.
This has been debated and I honestly dont know I have seen a clear answer as it applies to any of the passive suspensions. However with the DHP, there is clearly a huge difference.

What I have been trying to determine is is it basically just "on" or "off" (i.e. it is on in Sport and Sport + and off in comfort and eco pro) or are there different calibrations between Sport and Sport +.

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
Correct, all RWD Msport or Sportline's have the same Msport suspension (to which you can add the adaptive dampers with the DHP).

This has been debated and I honestly dont know I have seen a clear answer as it applies to any of the passive suspensions. However with the DHP, there is clearly a huge difference.

What I have been trying to determine is is it basically just "on" or "off" (i.e. it is on in Sport and Sport + and off in comfort and eco pro) or are there different calibrations between Sport and Sport +.
For a non-DHP equipped car, there's nothing TO change on the suspension. Ya got what ya got. It's all throttle mapping and steering calibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.HiTcH View Post
THANKS
Quote:
Not so correct This guy is from the middle East, only US spec Sport lines have M Sport suspension that I know of. Rest of world gets base suspension on Sport line. However, it could be an optional upgrade depending on market.

Dr.Hitch.....put your VIN in the VIN decoder, it will review all. If you don't understand what the codes mean, post the sheet on here and someone will tell you what you have fitted.

Quote:
Two settings.....Off (comfort/Eco Pro) On (Sport /Sport+)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #17
FanboyBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi

I want to know if i can install the M performance/m sport or even just the sport line suspension into a Luxury line 328 XDrive??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #18
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
Weird, maybe it's the MPPK that's cheaper to install at port. One of them...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 10mm lower on the M-perf, which also applies to the xdrive, (though the xdrive is 20mm lower since it won't have been 10mm lower from the m-sport.)
I guess the keyword should be "CAN". It CAN be cheaper installed at port.

If your dealer is willing to add it at invoice instead of retail then you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than that since you don't pay for labor for port intalled options.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyBMW View Post
I want to know if i can install the M performance/m sport or even just the sport line suspension into a Luxury line 328 XDrive??

Thanks
From above, it seems the answer is no. If you want a sporty suspension on an xDrive car you need to order the DHP. Makes no difference if it's Sport Line, Luxury Line or base.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I would just add after owning both DHP and non DHP Sport Suspensions, the DHP is a bit stiffer (in Sport and Sport + modes).
      03-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Simons975
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive M-Sport

Hartge sport springs

Hartge have sport springs for 328i x-drive. Lowers 20 mm in front and 15 mm rear.

http://www.hartge.de/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #22
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Is DHP recommended for people who may keep their cars for more than 5 years? What do you think the replacement cost is for those active dampers? I would imagine it would be very expensive.
Appreciate 0