E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My street + track alignment settings - ok?

07-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

My street + track alignment settings - ok?

Tomorrow I will be getting a whole bunch of tasty suspension bits installed on my car, including coils, M3 parts, and adjustable upper arms in the rear.

I drive moderately aggressive on the street and do HPDEs. I'd like to select a rear camber that is a good balance between the two, and promotes more neutral steering as well as more straight line traction. As such, here is what I am thinking of for alignment settings... let me know if you have any critiques:

Front
1. Camber: -2.5 degrees
2. Toe: zero degrees

Rear
1. Camber: -1.5 degrees
2. Toe: very slight toe in… 0.20 degrees total

Thoughts on front-rear camber balance? I keep seeing people choose camber settings that are 0.5 degrees apart rather than 1 degree, which is one of the reasons I'm posing the question.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Turn In Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The rear camber is going to depend on how low you set the car. If pretty low you may not be able to get back to -1.5*. On mine for daily driving and HPDE I set it to -3* in the front and -1.8* in the rear (as little as I could evenly get in the rear) with .05* total toe front and .15* total toe rear. It felt good like this and had little understeer.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Tony, first off thanks for replying I appreciate it!

I won't be slamming the car, maybe just .5" lower than ZSP, and I am installing Megan adjustable upper arms (camber, trailing, toe) so i *think* I should gain more adjustability there.

Regardless of that question, do you think my spread between front and rear camber is a good target? How about the absolute front camber- too little or too much for my application? Obviously with camber plates I could easily have two setups that I can switch between but it still begs the question.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

That looks to be a decent starting point for a dual purpose car. Your tires will also affect how the front end bites during turn in, so keep that in mind. I'd say run with your target settings, see how the car feels. take it to a couple of events.

you can always re-adjust the front camber later if you have plates.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sweet, thanks Mike-y. Yeah I gleaned these settings from various posts and conversations as a good compromise setup. Hope the work all gets done today but it's not looking like it will. I'm getting impatient!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Turn In Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would agree that you have a good starting point. The ultimate numbers will depend on your specific setup and driving style thus getting a baseline with above will be a great starting point.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks fellas yall are good peoples
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Tony I have a question. I recently had my alignment done to -2 camber zero toe front and rear, car is lowed about an inch all around. I have noticed that now when I go into a turn at about 45deg steering angle I get a almost floating feel then its gone. it happens left and right turns. kinda feels like hitting ice. Any ideas?
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

As Tony said, this is a great starting point. I have -1.8 in the rear but 1.5 is close enough for moderate use. It doesn't look like you are putting down a ton of power, so toe options are great. Also, if you can, max out your camber plates when you go to an HPDE. You can always switch them back for road use and normal wear, but for track events, the more camber the better!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thanks Mike!

BTW, it was my wife that ordered the M3 strut brace and the backordered AST flex extenders from you a few weeks back. The brace- much to my surprise- actually made a noticeable impact in reducing cowl shake and just generally reducing the feeling of twist in the front clip!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Tony I have a question. I recently had my alignment done to -2 camber zero toe front and rear, car is lowed about an inch all around. I have noticed that now when I go into a turn at about 45deg steering angle I get a almost floating feel then its gone. it happens left and right turns. kinda feels like hitting ice. Any ideas?
Don't want to jack Tony's answer but maybe you are just experiencing the instantaneous pitch of the car as you throw it into a corner? That initial shift of weight can be described as floating (especially if you can only adjust dampening on your coils), and then once the coils 'react,' it feels more planted and even. This can be eliminated when you get a coilover setup with more compression control. You will always have the "feeling," it just becomes a matter of how big of a feeling that is. Hope that helped a little.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Awesome, thanks Mike!

BTW, it was my wife that ordered the M3 strut brace and the backordered AST flex extenders from you a few weeks back. The brace- much to my surprise- actually made a noticeable impact in reducing cowl shake and just generally reducing the feeling of twist in the front clip!
Glad to hear! You're completely right, when I did my front strut brace I noticed a HUGE difference in the characteristics of the front end. Doesn't look like a big mod, but helps A LOT around the track and spirited driving.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Don't want to jack Tony's answer but maybe you are just experiencing the instantaneous pitch of the car as you throw it into a corner? That initial shift of weight can be described as floating (especially if you can only adjust dampening on your coils), and then once the coils 'react,' it feels more planted and even. This can be eliminated when you get a coilover setup with more compression control. You will always have the "feeling," it just becomes a matter of how big of a feeling that is. Hope that helped a little.

-Mike
thanks for your thoughts. I may play around with the firmness settings and see if that settles it down more, just kinda of unsettling feeling right now.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for your thoughts. I may play around with the firmness settings and see if that settles it down more, just kinda of unsettling feeling right now.
I have never heard of D2 coils, are they double adjustable (compression included)? Do you know your spring rates? Sways? If you don't have the compression, higher spring rates, or sways, your car is just rolling into corners with all that power from you RBs.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

venting.... idiot shop estimated it would take "30 hours" to do coils, M3 bits, subframe, and sways. I know it's a lot of work, but it's definitely not 30 hours of work.

Gotta find the time to get back up to VAC... really wanted to get this done though. At least VAC will do it right.

</venting>
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never heard of D2 coils, are they double adjustable (compression included)? Do you know your spring rates? Sways? If you don't have the compression, higher spring rates, or sways, your car is just rolling into corners with all that power from you RBs.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306507
not sure on spring rate, checking on that now.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
venting.... idiot shop estimated it would take "30 hours" to do coils, M3 bits, subframe, and sways. I know it's a lot of work, but it's definitely not 30 hours of work.

Gotta find the time to get back up to VAC... really wanted to get this done though. At least VAC will do it right.

</venting>
30 hours? Are you kidding? LOL. We charge around 13 hours of labor for all of that stuff.

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306507
not sure on spring rate, checking on that now.
Ok, it is a sub $1k suspension kit and probably progressive springs. No offense, but you will feel the car roll and pitch like crazy. You really do get what you pay for with suspensions, so you can either live with the sub-par performance or pay to have a nice setup. Just trying to give you a better idea of what to expect.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
30 hours? Are you kidding? LOL. We charge around 13 hours of labor for all of that stuff.

I told them they were smoking the Dutch stuff! They didn't believe me that VAC quoted about the same time you just did.

In retrospect, if that's how far off they are, I'm glad they aren't working on my car. Probably dodged a bullet.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

The springs rates are 9.0f/11.5r, KG/MM
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

</venting>
That's stupid crazy. I did all that minus the sways and I did inserts instead full subframe bushings in one day in my garage on jackstands.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ok, it is a sub $1k suspension kit and probably progressive springs. No offense, but you will feel the car roll and pitch like crazy. You really do get what you pay for with suspensions, so you can either live with the sub-par performance or pay to have a nice setup. Just trying to give you a better idea of what to expect.

-Mike
To be honest until I got the alignment it was great feeling. no pitch or roll, very predictable. So I was wondering if had more to do with moving to zero toe. I realize these are inexpensive coilovers and I agree you get what you pay for in most cases. Its only been a couple weeks since I got the alignment so I may go back to the shop and have them relook at everything since this is a new feeling on the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Did you try RRT?

Quote:

I told them they were smoking the Dutch stuff! They didn't believe me that VAC quoted about the same time you just did.

In retrospect, if that's how far off they are, I'm glad they aren't working on my car. Probably dodged a bullet.
Appreciate 0