BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Question HELP - E70 or F15?

Gents... I've build up kind of a like towards the X5, but really didn't have the money to pay for it, so settled with the 520d, which is running the last 30 days of 3 years warranty.

Recently my dealer phoned up and asked if I'd like a new Car with a bit of drop of my monthly payment (new Ex Stock cars due to the F10 LCI Face Lift). But that turned out to be a basic car, where I have paid for £6,000 worth gadgets on the current car, so that didn't work.

Then realized the new X5 (F15) is due so the dealer got some Ex stocks of the E70's. Which they have got in few extras.

Few things put me off so far;

1. They are all Black Leather, which I don't like as the interior won't feel roomy or alive.

2. None of them have the DDC. I am told that E70 does not have that as an option. But I am not sure how far that is true. If F10 does, why not E70?

3. IMO E70 looks better than the F15 (only seen pics) but I see the interior is packed nicely in the F15.

4. Dealer tells me there's no Luxury Line in the F15, again I am not sure.

I'd really like to stretch a bit if I can make my mind that E70 is my option than the F15.

Dealer promises me to do their best on the E70 and tells me not a penny off with the F15, which may be the case.

Any advise is appreciated very much.

Thanks !
      07-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Wow, I wouldn't trust that dealer. E70 has adaptive drive option that anticipates driver motion which stiffens the suspension. An E70 without it handles superbly but if you drive both of them, one after the other, you can tell a difference. There IS a luxury line for the F15. Also a M sport line and a Xline for the F15. I see your from Scotland so I don't know how difficult it is for them to obtain any of these. We haven't really started building them so I cannot tell you what I've seen on the Euro spec vehicles. The F15 has a more aggressive look compared to the E70. Pictures online really don't do them justice. Good luck with your decisions either way you will have a brilliant vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'm in the same boat, but I reckon a new F15 looks way better value. Xenons, Pro Nav, etc all standard now, its quicker, better CO2 and MPG, and a bit roomier. Plus loads more tech e.g. Msport includes Dynamic Damper Control, and rear air suspension as standard. Adaptive lights with HBA are now only £450.

Looking at AUC a nearly new E70 3.0d msport is coming in at just under £50k. A similar spec F15 is a couple of thousand more.

Not sure how realistic they are, but ukcardiscount and coast2coast cars are offering around 10% off the price of a new F15 (3.0d) with options available for configuration.

Interestingly if you price up an LCI 530d msport with the same spec as a standard F15 3.0d msport, there's practically nothing in it, which makes the F15 relatively good value.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
IMO the new 2014 Range Rover sport looks a lot better than F15
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5 View Post
Gents... I've build up kind of a like towards the X5, but really didn't have the money to pay for it, so settled with the 520d, which is running the last 30 days of 3 years warranty.

Recently my dealer phoned up and asked if I'd like a new Car with a bit of drop of my monthly payment (new Ex Stock cars due to the F10 LCI Face Lift). But that turned out to be a basic car, where I have paid for £6,000 worth gadgets on the current car, so that didn't work.

Then realized the new X5 (F15) is due so the dealer got some Ex stocks of the E70's. Which they have got in few extras.

1. They are all Black Leather, which I don't like as the interior won't feel roomy or alive.

2. None of them have the DDC. I am told that E70 does not have that as an option. But I am not sure how far that is true. If F10 does, why not E70?

3. IMO E70 looks better than the F15 (only seen pics) but I see the interior is packed nicely in the F15.

I'd really like to stretch a bit if I can make my mind that E70 is my option than the F15.

Dealer promises me to do their best on the E70 and tells me not a penny off with the F15, which may be the case.

Thanks !

DDC is not an option in E70 and not a standard option on F15. It would cost $4500.

F15 should be your pick. Keep looking at F15, google for pics and you will start hating E70.

F15 has the looks that you would need for 2014. Interior is par with dynamic exterior looks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
DDC is not an option in E70 and not a standard option on F15. It would cost $4500.

F15 should be your pick. Keep looking at F15, google for pics and you will start hating E70.

F15 has the looks that you would need for 2014. Interior is par with dynamic exterior looks.
M sport adaptive suspension (DDC + rear air suspension) is standard on the UK Msport, which is where the OP would be buying from
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

E70:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:

It was called adaptive drive and its a variation on DDC. It was a option and a pricey one too. Cars that had it, had a sport button on the shifter ... But the system itself was on all the time.

It was the first car in the world to introduce the very high speed (by auto standards) flex ray data bus to meet the requirements of the system
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:

there certainly aren't many that share your opinion but thanks for sharing...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Big day has come today, thanks so much for all your great points. I mean it.

I had a quite a deal offered from my dealer for an E70 (I made them to do it for me really) so placed my order for an E70 Ex Stock, quite a kit it has. Just counting days for 1st Sep as I can't take it on the road until as it's going to be the new 63 plate on it.

xDrive30d M Sport in Titanium Silver
20" M Double Spoke 333M Wheels
3rd row seats
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Folding Mirrors
Comfort Seats
Heated Seats
High-beam Assist
Voice Control
BMW Advance Audio
Sun Protection Glass
Pro Media
M Sport Steering Wheel with Pedal Shifts
Black Nevada Leather

Plan is to have this say 2 years and go for an F15 when there are good discounts.
      08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5 View Post

Thanks !
I have FULL beige interior. I may look nice to the people who don't have to clean it, but trust me, go with black. Otherwise, you'll be sensitive for everyone who gets in your car, INCLUDING the stupid techs at BMW centers. They will scoff your stuff.

Concerning interior, trust me, it WILL feel roomy. X5 has a lot of room. It's actually deceiving. But sit in an SUV and put your arms up on the door. You'll notice that the X5 requires you to almost lean towards the door just to clear your elbow. Plenty of leg and hip room.

And since I'm on interior ... the new X5 seems to beat the E70 interior hands down. But the EXTERIOR looks too much like it belongs in a Volvo lineup ... to me.

Every modern BMW is "luxury". Don't let em fool you. The only time an X5 is "bland" is the owners who don't add OPTIONS. I added about 20 grand of options to mine. But, that is any BMW model - the shell vehicle looks bland.

Mufasa isn't a name ... but it's AWESOME!
Appreciate 0