F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Leaning on other people's cars
proTUNING Freaks

08-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Leaning on other people's cars

What do you guys think? Do you do it or not? I personally don't, I think it's a simple sign of disrespect for someone's car or property!

Just coming out of the grocery store tonight I find some guy leaning on my passenger side rear quarter panel talking to his buddy on the phone. I wanted to lose my S*** and tell him to get off but I politely asked him to get off my car and I get this look from him like I killed his family or something!

Any who it didn't look like there was any paint damage/scratches and I think there weren't any dents either.. what do you guys think, is the metal on the our rear quarter panels dent-resistant to that kind of punishment?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

If I saw that, It would take an act of god for me not to slit that persons throat with a rusty knife
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

no, i dont do things i wouldnt like people doing to me

one of my pet peeves
      08-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkindustries View Post
If I saw that, It would take an act of god for me not to slit that persons throat with a rusty knife
So intense... Made me laugh though!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xdrive

Garage List
I was at Road America this weekend for the 50th Ferrari Club of America event and this fat guy walked up to a 16m and 599 GTO with his wife and had her take pictures of him with his hand on the paint. When he got to the GTO he completely leaned on it to where the suspension started to compress. Some people these days
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post
What do you guys think? Do you do it or not? I personally don't, I think it's a simple sign of disrespect for someone's car or property!

Just coming out of the grocery store tonight I find some guy leaning on my passenger side rear quarter panel talking to his buddy on the phone. I wanted to lose my S*** and tell him to get off but I politely asked him to get off my car and I get this look from him like I killed his family or something!

Any who it didn't look like there was any paint damage/scratches and I think there weren't any dents either.. what do you guys think, is the metal on the our rear quarter panels dent-resistant to that kind of punishment?
I would have beat the guy's teeth out with a lead pipe. You don't just lean on someones $50k car. That said some ppl are ignorant butt sphincters who deserve public flogging.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 10-11-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post

The metal on the rear quarter panel is part of the unibody construction so it is built stronger than the other removable panels and it is unlikely that it would be dented by someone leaning against it...I would have been more concerned about scratches from denim rivets or the like.

That idiot probably also doesn't give a shit about what he drives its just something to get him from point A to point B. But if you were to lean against or touch something that he really cared about I am sure he would be just as concerned as you were about your BMW.... some people just don't take the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Lean against his wife/gf. See if he gives a shit then.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
jasonF30
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkindustries View Post
ROFL!!!! Awesome.

I agree, dont touch another man's automobile. Its sacred!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Haven't had anyone lean on my car, especially people who know me and knows how much the car costs (it is pretty damn expensive in this country as you all know).

Artieg30 your story did remind me of something that happened 2 weeks ago. I was stopped in a shopping mall car park waiting for someone to vacate a spot. I was in the car at the time, some chick and her sister/friend walks past my car and bumps it like twice, once on the external mirror and once on the front bumper corner. Man I was FURIOUS, I mean WTF, how completely self absorbed are some people to just walk into someone's car while they are obviously in the car.

They were girls, so I resisted getting out of the car and yelling obscenities and hurling abuse, because in moments like this, I can either suck it up or go ballistic, there is no middle ground. When I got home, I found some light scuff marks and managed to get most of it out with a my polisher. She only bumped it with her arms and legs (fully clothed cos it's winter) but still, that all it takes to mar paint work.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Leaning against someone car isn't cool, but getting in a beef about it is kinda lame too. It's just a car, material. What if someone put a gun in your face at a
Stop and demanded your car? You gonna die for it? What if dude leaning against your ride is packed up with a few buddies? Man, what's the point of maybe getting hurt or worse? I can't think of a time a stranger leaned against my car, it's so uncommon that if it did happen I'd just deal with it non-confrontationally Paint can be repaired. And worse is what insurance of for. But then again I got more important things in this world than a car to worry about.
Be safe
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Lean against his wife/gf. See if he gives a shit then.
I get alot of "can I sit on your bike"... "can I ride it".
My response is always "can I ride your wife"?

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My wife and I walked up to my car to a guy pouring out a water bottle over his hands right next to my car (water splashed on my rim/tire). He was driving a Volvo SUV that had not been washed in a couple months and was doing this closer to my car than his.

I looked at him, looked at my car and said "WHAT THE FUCK?" He just walked away and looked back periodically. Obviously, this isn't as bad as someone leaning on your car, but it shows that people have zero respect. I probably wouldn't have been as polite as you sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Leaning on a car can be really bad if the person is wearing jeans. The pockets on the jeans sometimes have metal rivet decorations on them - totally capable of putting a really substantial scratch in the paint. Gave my wife hell one day for leaning against HER car - which is only an older Ford. Heck - I wash and wax it for her so I think that gives me some nagging rights.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

I had a friend that pissed on another friend's Toyota Matrix because he didn't give him the keys for him to drunkenly pass out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #16
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Cheeky Fooker! I would've had to say something to him, and I would've happily dealt with any reaction!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #17
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

If someone i know was leaning on my car, well i wouldnt really care about it too much. If someone i didnt know was leaning on my car, for sure they could go lean on their own car, sit on a bench or lean against a pole. I wouldnt go crazy but would ask them to move along. If someone deliberately bumps my car and i am in the car with the car started, they better not walk in front or behind the car. The last guy who spat on my car had an up close look at the top of my bonnet and then the front of my bumper
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

its no use to go ape shit on people who lean on the car. their response is going to be "dude relax, its just a car"......they dont understand the significance, therefore they wont ever understand why you're getting so upset.

you just have to kindly ask them to get off.

my neighbor is about 400lbs and his side door exits into my driveway...so he walks past my cars every morning....and its a tight squeeze between his wall and my cars....and he rubs his jackets and zippers on the car EVERY DAY. my passenger side and drivers side look like 2 different cars because of all the scratches he puts. eventually i couldnt take it anymore and told him....he started using the front door
      09-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealRocks View Post
I remember a time I was with my friends returning to his car in an underground parking garage. There was a group of University students parked beside my friend and chatting. One of them was leaning on my friend's trunk. Not so bad in itself except he has his backpack (not worn) on this trunk. My friend kind of yelled at him to get off his car. Not over the top rage but more one sentence statement in a raised voice. His friend tried to speak up as if to justify the no big deal of it all. My friend essentially replied back if it wasn't a big deal why aren't you guys leaning on your own car and putting ur bags on your own car? Looking back now.. Man those kids were pretty inconsiderate.
This bugs the piss out of me - it's not a freaking shelf and it DAMN SURE isn't your freaking shelf
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
paperplanes415
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
I get alot of "can I sit on your bike"... "can I ride it".
My response is always "can I ride your wife"?

LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I wouldn't dream of doing that to anybody's car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, Sportline - AW/Black

We know someone who's had a couple of ferrari's (f430's etc) and he didn't stop taking it out but definitely took it out a lot less then he used to.
The reason being people coming up to the car to take a closer look (when he's parked somewhere in town, in a public parking lot or at the side of the road).

You would think theres no harm done in just coming closer to have a look at it, but sometimes people would forget they are wearing belts and when they got really close and tried to bend over the car a little (to look into the engine bay and see that big engine, which is of course tempting to do), they would sometimes scratch the paint with their belts and he got tired of always getting these little scratches on the car...

As said by other people here, I would never lean on other people's cars, especially super cars (even though it shouldn't matter whether its a supercar or not, but i guess you could understand why someone would be extra careful then).
Appreciate 0