E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Half Shafts don't want to come out

08-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Half Shafts don't want to come out

Trying to send my axles out to DSS because of what they will need to ensue in the near future.

The problem is they WILL NOT come off. They are supposed to be easy to get off, but absolutely will not come off. We tried a tool from Advance that is supposed to make it easy, nope. Tried heating them up, nope. Tried impact tool, nope. Tried banging on it with hammers, nope.

Has anyone else had this problem or know someone who has? Any ideas?

I wonder if the hundreds of drag strip launches had anything to do with this.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Trying to send my axles out to DSS because of what they will need to ensue in the near future.

The problem is they WILL NOT come off. They are supposed to be easy to get off, but absolutely will not come off. We tried a tool from Advance that is supposed to make it easy, nope. Tried heating them up, nope. Tried impact tool, nope. Tried banging on it with hammers, nope.

Has anyone else had this problem or know someone who has? Any ideas?

I wonder if the hundreds of drag strip launches had anything to do with this.
When FFTEC removed mine, I know they had to spray a ton of Liquid Wrench as it was pretty jammed tight into the hub carrier.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I KNOW how you feel. That was one of the biggest PITA when I was doing a lot of my upgrades. Luckily I had had a junk yard send a set of axles directly to DSS so I didn't have to worry about damaging my stock ones. I had intended to resale then initially, but by the time I got them out the ends were damaged. I tried everything too... I ended up getting a 13lb sledge hammer and tapeing a socket onto the ends of the axles and swinging with all my might to knock them out. Mind you, it still took a good 10-15 minutes of swinging on each side... so it's not like one hit to break it loose even with all that force. Note the ring left in the face of the axle from the socket

I also damaged one of my lug nut threads using the autozone axle removal tool... no fun.

Edit: Is there an easy way to resize these?

2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
The nuts on the end get staked (and should never be re-used). Best to try to undo the staking a bit. I once tried to buy used dss axles, and they re-used the same nuts when putting them on that car, by putting a second stake in them. Problem with that is the initial staking, when the nut turned over the threads, destroyed the threading. I canceled my purchase after seeing the threads on the end of the DSS axles destroyed, so they just impacted them back on the car (gave them my new axle nuts to try to keep more damage from happening).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
tcw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999
The nuts on the end get staked (and should never be re-used). Best to try to undo the staking a bit. I once tried to buy used dss axles, and they re-used the same nuts when putting them on that car, by putting a second stake in them. Problem with that is the initial staking, when the nut turned over the threads, destroyed the threading. I canceled my purchase after seeing the threads on the end of the DSS axles destroyed, so they just impacted them back on the car (gave them my new axle nuts to try to keep more damage from happening).
I think his problem is knocking the axles out of the hubs. But yes, definitely don't reuse the axle nut.

Also slights thread on the axle nut to help hold the socket in place while hammering the axle (although this raises the chance of damaging the axle threads if you hit the nut with the sledge.)
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw View Post
I think his problem is knocking the axles out of the hubs. But yes, definitely don't reuse the axle nut.

Also slights thread on the axle nut to help hold the socket in place while hammering the axle (although this raises the chance of damaging the axle threads if you hit the nut with the sledge.)
Can you resize the pictures you posted?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
tcw
Captain
Rep

I think that's the best I can do.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...3.jpg~original
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...5.jpg~original
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...6.jpg~original
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...e.jpg~original

Also in the 3rd pic you can see how I had the socket slid inside of the axle nut, which I then threaded slightly onto the axles to hit with the sledge hammer. This was just to break it free though, once it started sliding in some, you obviously have to remvoe the nut. I then tapped it with a 1/2" extension.
Appreciate 0