F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Paint protection films
proTUNING Freaks

08-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Paint protection films

I'm looking to get my car protected by a clear protection film. I know some of you have done it yourself. I'm still unsure whether I want to DIY it or pay someone. What is the labor cost for that type of work? I would be doing the front bumper and the back bumper and fenders I think. Basically anything exposed to rocks. I have an M Sport bumper.

I don't have a garage so is it ok to do it outside? What the install procedure like? Sticker or some kind of reaction with water like a tint? How forgiving is that if you don't get it on perfect on the first try, can it be moved?

If anyone has recommendations for a good installer in SE PA... And which brand is the best... White car BTW. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I wouldn't DIY. Even experienced installers like the guy who did mine has difficulties sometimes.

I bought some Xpel for my 530i and in looking for an installer my independent BMW guy said he'd like a crack at it. Three messed up kits later he finally gave up and I eventually found a dedicated installer.
      08-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
I'm looking to get my car protected by a clear protection film. I know some of you have done it yourself. I'm still unsure whether I want to DIY it or pay someone. What is the labor cost for that type of work? I would be doing the front bumper and the back bumper and fenders I think. Basically anything exposed to rocks. I have an M Sport bumper.

I don't have a garage so is it ok to do it outside? What the install procedure like? Sticker or some kind of reaction with water like a tint? How forgiving is that if you don't get it on perfect on the first try, can it be moved?

If anyone has recommendations for a good installer in SE PA... And which brand is the best... White car BTW. Thanks.
Someone here did a pretty fantastic DIY job on his EBII F30, using 3M I think for the first time ever. Doing it yourself will save probably 1k, but most likely you will do a bad job (no offense). Having it done professionally will ensure (a) it looks good and has no seams or bubbles (b) someone to maintain it under warranty if problems arise. I'd wager the degree of difficulty is inline with putting on your own tint.

One thing to keep in mind is you should do it ASAP if you plan to have it done professionally. All it takes are a couple drives on the highway to get some chips. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

Everything I've read is that xpel ultimate is the best film, it is self healing so should require less maintenance. But with anything like this it's hard to objectively compare and everyone will have the personal opinion, think of it similar to tint. Also, try and get a full hood if you can, my install ran around 1.5k for hood, fenders, bumper, lights and rocker panels. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I did it myself, but it's not for the faint of heart. I've also done my own tint over the years. I don't think I'd recommend doing it outdoors. Too much opportunity for debris to end up under the film.

It's SOMEWHAT forgiving. You apply copious amounts of a slick solution to allow it to "float" into place. Then you start squeegeeing the solution out so the adhesive makes contact with the paint. Once it's stuck, it's stuck. The biggest issue with the installation is that it's not just a matter of sticking it where you want it and getting busy with the squeegee. You have to stretch it into position as you go. Occasional application of heat helps along the way.

I seem to recall my dealer mentioning around $1,500. I think I spent around $300 for the materials. I used 3M and it's holding up pretty darn well. I posted pics in a thread somewhere within the last month or so.

Bottom line - you're probably best off just having it done.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looks like a royal pain in the ass. I'm a DIY type (doing everything in my house) but I'm not too sure about this. 1,500 is very steep though.......

Bavarian which one of the 2 available 3Ms did you use?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Looks like a royal pain in the ass. I'm a DIY type (doing everything in my house) but I'm not too sure about this. 1,500 is very steep though.......

My guy out here charged $500 for lights, mirrors and hood. It would have been another $500 to do the bumper due to the curves of the M-Sport.

I have used Xpel on all my Bimmers.
      08-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
endless402
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 EBII

I just did the front bumpers only with xpel through an authorized guy. Turns out he owned the distribution rights in Canada. Took him over 3 hours to do the m sport bumper even though it was all pre cut. Looks awesome though
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I DIY everything myself as well. I literally will try anything once. The only thing I'll never do again is wall to wall carpet. At least not in a 20x30 room. That was a bitch.

I think it was the Scotchgard product. If you're really patient and take your time it's not really that bad. There's a fair amount of info online with techniques, etc. The main thing is understanding how it works and being able to predict where you'll need to push, pull, stretch, etc. in order to get everything to end up where it's supposed to be. Mine would probably have been perfect if I didn't lose power just as I removed the bumper film from the backing.

I did the bumper, hood, fender, headlights, mirrors, rockers, leading edges of the rear quarters and the rear bumper (top surface). You really can't even see it once done. I would think it would really disappear on white.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Please do not attemp to do it yourself - the Msport bumper has a lot of complex curves. Get it done by a pro.

As they say; penny wise, pound foolish.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Please do not attemp to do it yourself - the Msport bumper has a lot of complex curves. Get it done by a pro.

As they say; penny wise, pound foolish.
Some also say; If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
RJK993
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '95 993 cabrio/13 335xi Msport

i had my front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders done in NY for $840 on my 335 msport

Past:2010 MB C300 Sport
2001 BMW 330ci AA Supercharged
1999 Shelby SP360 #150
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless402 View Post
I just did the front bumpers only with xpel through an authorized guy. Turns out he owned the distribution rights in Canada. Took him over 3 hours to do the m sport bumper even though it was all pre cut. Looks awesome though
Any pics? what color is your car? Do you notice any yellowing or orange peel?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Consider a self healing film. One that will heal scratches, etc. itself. I do not believe 3M makes a self healing paint protection film (yet). I've heard from more than 1 shop that Sungard makes a very good self healing film.
      08-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
RJK993
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '95 993 cabrio/13 335xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Consider a self healing film. One that will heal scratches, etc. itself. I do not believe 3M makes a self healing paint protection film (yet). I've heard from more than 1 shop that Sungard makes a very good self healing film.
i have the xpel ultimate, works great

Past:2010 MB C300 Sport
2001 BMW 330ci AA Supercharged
1999 Shelby SP360 #150
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's a self healing film? I mean, it seems a little far fetched to me? Are these more than marketing claims? How does it work?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
owldiscourse
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335xdrive M Sport

botched film job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless402 View Post
Just got mine done by authorized dealers auto body subcontractor of choice. I had a scratch on the hood that someone had given me while I was shopping and had the whole hood and bumper repainted over the past 2 weeks even though my 335m sport is only 6 months old!

I am not very pleased with the results of the 3M as there were some air bubbles i had to work out with my finger over a 3 to 4 inch area, a large scuff under the plastic (!), some stretch marks and even a hair underneath the film on the bumper that is very visible!

Worst was that on the front bumper there were some large "cuts" on the ventureshield 3m film that I don't think should be there in a well done job. The auto body guys said that without those cuts there would be large air bubbles due to the complex curves. I say bunk - these should be precut, fit the bumper perfecty and not be visible cuts on the plastic. Also, they did the side view mirrors and actually went over a rock chip so it's even more obvious now than before the film was applied...

The auto body place said he would have to redo the film job due to the hair but I am considering going to someone else to do the film once they take it off and have them give me a refund.

The question I have for you is: Did you have any visible cut marks on your film when it was done? It's a dark day with clouds and rain but I am now very concerned about what this is going to look like in the sunlight, and also if the newly painted bumper will peel off once they remove the film and if any cut marks will show..

What a nightmare. I really think I would have done a much better job than this.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
endless402
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei View Post
Any pics? what color is your car? Do you notice any yellowing or orange peel?
EB2. no yellowing or orange peel. cant really notice it unless you look really closely...like 1ft away and you have to really know what you're looking for
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Speaking of...has anyone had any experience with Sunguard? I'm planning to have my car wrapped and the shop I'm bringing it to uses "Suntek". Claykin were you sure about the name of the film or did you mean Suntek?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owldiscourse View Post
Just got mine done by authorized dealers auto body subcontractor of choice. I had a scratch on the hood that someone had given me while I was shopping and had the whole hood and bumper repainted over the past 2 weeks even though my 335m sport is only 6 months old!

I am not very pleased with the results of the 3M as there were some air bubbles i had to work out with my finger over a 3 to 4 inch area, a large scuff under the plastic (!), some stretch marks and even a hair underneath the film on the bumper that is very visible!

Worst was that on the front bumper there were some large "cuts" on the ventureshield 3m film that I don't think should be there in a well done job. The auto body guys said that without those cuts there would be large air bubbles due to the complex curves. I say bunk - these should be precut, fit the bumper perfecty and not be visible cuts on the plastic. Also, they did the side view mirrors and actually went over a rock chip so it's even more obvious now than before the film was applied...

The auto body place said he would have to redo the film job due to the hair but I am considering going to someone else to do the film once they take it off and have them give me a refund.

The question I have for you is: Did you have any visible cut marks on your film when it was done? It's a dark day with clouds and rain but I am now very concerned about what this is going to look like in the sunlight, and also if the newly painted bumper will peel off once they remove the film and if any cut marks will show..

What a nightmare. I really think I would have done a much better job than this.
You shouldn't have put film on 2 week old paint. I can't even believe they did it - provided they knew.

There are cuts/seams in the film in order to deal with all of the compound curves of the M Sport bumper. Without knowing exactly what you're referring to it's impossible to know if they're "normal" or not. It's also not unheard of to have a bubble or two. As the film dries out (there's moisture trapped under it when it's installed) smaller bubbles often disappear.

I think the bigger issue is that you've likely ruined your new paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Speaking of...has anyone had any experience with Sunguard? I'm planning to have my car wrapped and the shop I'm bringing it to uses "Suntek". Claykin were you sure about the name of the film or did you mean Suntek?
You may be correct. Sun-gard was acquired by Madico. I do not see paint protection films on their website.

Suntek seems to have a quality self healing film.

My friend is out of town and hasn't responded to my messages yet for clarification.
      08-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
owldiscourse
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
You shouldn't have put film on 2 week old paint. I can't even believe they did it - provided they knew.

There are cuts/seams in the film in order to deal with all of the compound curves of the M Sport bumper. Without knowing exactly what you're referring to it's impossible to know if they're "normal" or not. It's also not unheard of to have a bubble or two. As the film dries out (there's moisture trapped under it when it's installed) smaller bubbles often disappear.

I think the bigger issue is that you've likely ruined your new paint.
Yah, I asked them many times if that was OK to do and they said not a problem since they use an oven to cook the paint, just like the factory does and that it will not be a problem. The installer claims he can pull back the corner of the wrap and take out the hair so I have them doing that today. We will see how the paint holds up after that! Also for the scuffs they are claiming it will buff out, no problem and are also doing that. I did take it to a guy who does ferrari wraps to look at and comment and he said while it could be a tighter install, that it was not unreasonably done. I'm more concerned at this point about a couple of small dings I found that were not in the pain, holograms and spidering everywhere and this attached image patch of scratches that is the size of a softball.

Can they really buff this out or should I have made them repaint the whole hood?

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owldiscourse View Post
Yah, I asked them many times if that was OK to do and they said not a problem since they use an oven to cook the paint, just like the factory does and that it will not be a problem. The installer claims he can pull back the corner of the wrap and take out the hair so I have them doing that today. We will see how the paint holds up after that! Also for the scuffs they are claiming it will buff out, no problem and are also doing that. I did take it to a guy who does ferrari wraps to look at and comment and he said while it could be a tighter install, that it was not unreasonably done. I'm more concerned at this point about a couple of small dings I found that were not in the pain, holograms and spidering everywhere and this attached image patch of scratches that is the size of a softball.

Can they really buff this out or should I have made them repaint the whole hood?

The marks in the photo LOOK superficial and should buff out fine. I still don't agree about covering fresh paint. The fact that they heat cured it doesn't mean it's 100% cured. The industry standard is to wait at least 30 days before covering refinished panels.
Appreciate 0