F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Change out of fluids after break-in period
ARMA SPEED

08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Glideslope
goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Change out of fluids after break-in period

This not intended to be another about driving techniques during the break-in period ... that horse is dead, and there are many posts about it.

I'm specifically interested in doing an early service to change the oils (engine, transmission, rear gear box) and cycle out the coolant now that I'm well past the break-in period at 3400mi.

A buddy at work, long time bimmer driver and M3 guy, says that if I'm planning on keeping the car for a while, cycling out the fluids is a good idea ahead of the regular BMW recommended maintenance interval.

I asked my service adviser, and he said that BMW doesn't recommend changing out the fluid early, but notes that several of his customers tend to do this with their new cars.

What do you guys think? What have you done?
      08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Glideslope
goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Oh, and as a reward for viewing my post... and providing useful feedback, I've furnished this for your viewing pleasure.

08-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope
This not intended to be another about driving techniques during the break-in period ... that horse is dead, and there are many posts about it.

I'm specifically interested in doing an early service to change the oils (engine, transmission, rear gear box) and cycle out the coolant now that I'm well past the break-in period at 3400mi.

A buddy at work, long time bimmer driver and M3 guy, says that if I'm planning on keeping the car for a while, cycling out the fluids is a good idea ahead of the regular BMW recommended maintenance interval.

I asked my service adviser, and he said that BMW doesn't recommend changing out the fluid early, but notes that several of his customers tend to do this with their new cars.

What do you guys think? What have you done?
Well, as you said at the beginning of your post. This is a well chewed on and digested topic. I recommend reading Mike Miller's Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule document, and decide yourself. What do you expect from a BMW service person to say to you? He has no other choice than answer the politically correct answer, i.e. stick to what BMW recommends.

As soon as my 335i arrives in about 2 weeks, with 3000 miles in it, I put into it in Europe, I for sure going to change all the three oils myself. There are threads describing how to do it, it's pretty simple, you can pretty much do it all yourself.
Appreciate 0