F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Automatic Transmission
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
jplev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Garage List
Sport Automatic Transmission

Looking to possibly order a 328i xDrive, sport line with a number of options. My question is regarding the Sport Automatic Transmission. In my test drive, I found the regular transmission to be fine. My understanding in getting the upgrade is that you get the paddle shifters, a different shift knob/lever and different software. What exactly does this software do compared to the regular transmission? Does it increase or decrease gas mileage?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It is worth it for the shifter alone. Additionally, I am not an expert by any means, but I find the 8AT to be smoother compared to the stock (based on two stock loaners that I have driven).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
jplev
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
And when you say the upgrade is worthwhile for the shifter, what specifically do you find better about it?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev
And when you say the upgrade is worthwhile for the shifter, what specifically do you find better about it?
It is heavier...more planted. It doesn't feel cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

It has a leather boot instead of the plastic thing I have, dumb that it isn't offered in the luxury lines....stupid lines. The boot alone is worth it to me, my hand brake is so well appointed but my shifter is this weird sea of plastic. In terms of aesthetics vs budget constraints, I would get the lighting package before getting the sports tranny.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
jplev
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplevolved View Post
No not all, how would a sport transmission programmed to shift a higher rpms give you better mileage, its the complete opposite
Understood...I had asked though if this package increased or decreased gas mileage. So with the shifts at higher RPMs, does gas mileage suffer and if so, by about how much? Don't I already get this ability on sport mode on the base transmission?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
Understood...I had asked though if this package increased or decreased gas mileage. So with the shifts at higher RPMs, does gas mileage suffer and if so, by about how much? Don't I already get this ability on sport mode on the base transmission?
Does NOT shift at higher RPM unless you toggle the lever over or change your settings for sport mode if you have DHP.

It shifts faster but not higher unless you tell it to.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
jplev
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
That's helpful. So it seems like you get the paddle shifters, a beefier shift lever with a leather boot and software to provide faster (and presumably smoother?) shifts without any detriment to gas mileage. I guess I will need to seriously consider this.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

I highly recommend the sport transmission, if you're buying the car for any sort of sportiness. It shifts extremely fast when you want it to, otherwise it is smooth enough for daily driving. The ZF 8 speed automatic has high praises from every auto reviewer (for an automatic). If your dealer has cars with both transmission options, test drive and just see for yourself.

Here are the picture differences:
Standard automatic transmission:

Sport automatic transmission:

Taken from this post
      08-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
Does NOT shift at higher RPM unless you toggle the lever over or change your settings for sport mode if you have DHP.

It shifts faster but not higher unless you tell it to.
No.

2TB shift points vary depending on the combination of the gear selector and the driver experience switch. In Sport mode with the driver experience switch set to Sport and/or Sport+, it definitely shifts higher than a non-2TB transmission.

2TB will shift down in ANY mode once engine speed drops below about 1800 RPM.

2TB will NOT upshift in manual mode when gear selector is in Sport position and driver experience switch is also set to Sport or Sport+. It will allow you to rev the engine to redline.

In Sport mode with the driver experience mode switch set to Sport and/or Sport+, shifts at above about 3500 RPM are astonishingly fast -- I mean really, really fast. If you also have ZSL or better, the exhaust sound is amazing.

2TB also rev matches on downshift in Sport mode.

Some wingnuts try VO coding 2TB; I don't think that works.

It's not about the knob (which is nice); it's about the software.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
badfish718
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i M-Sport EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
No.

2TB shift points vary depending on the combination of the gear selector and the driver experience switch. In Sport mode with the driver experience switch set to Sport and/or Sport+, it definitely shifts higher than a non-2TB transmission.

2TB will NOT upshift in manual mode when gear selector is in Sport position and driver experience switch is also set to Sport or Sport+. It will allow you to rev the engine to redline.

In Sport mode with the driver experience mode switch set to Sport and/or Sport+, shifts at above about 3500 RPM are astonishingly fast -- I mean really, really fast. If you also have ZSL or better, the exhaust sound is amazing.

I've been told coding 2TB works fine, so that $500 for paddle shifters and a "cooler" knob don't seem as practical as they once did.

The transmission is the same mechanically. As someone who bought off the lot a car that didn't have Sport Auto, my transmission is exceptionally smooth and quick. The only part I would code for is the more "manual" settings.

Prev:
07 E92 335i Montego/Saddle - Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish718
Quote:
No.

I've been told coding 2TB works fine, so that $500 for paddle shifters and a "cooler" knob don't seem as practical as they once did.

The transmission is the same mechanically. As someone who bought off the lot a car that didn't have Sport Auto, my transmission is exceptionally smooth and quick. The only part I would code for is the more "manual" settings.
The shifter is worth $1,000 alone IMO. The standard shifter feels like it is from a Ford Fiesta.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Faster shifting software and shift paddles are a no brainer for $500
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Just do it.

It's another one of those things that makes you ask "why doesn't BMW just do this on all the models?" It probably costs them exactly $0 extra, and makes many of the "small" things about driving the 3 series a little more like the old days...

As much as it pains me to say it, the shifter knob alone is worth it (and I have upgraded to the M performance carbon).

mjw
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I have sport at but didn't know the shifter was that much nicer. The faster shifts and paddle shifters are why I got the package.

Is the shifter that much different? I guess I will find out when I take her in to the dealership tomorrow for some diagnosis work

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

It is 100% worth it.

That was this guy in this very forum who was trying to sell his beloved 328i M-Sport without the paddle shifter and all the comments that I saw about the car was the lack of paddles

My last 335i did not have them and I missed so much, my 2013 M-Sport has and I love, it is not just for the looks, it also works great specially on corners :-)
      08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

$500 over the life of the car is a no brainer. Get the sport auto. I can't htink of any downside. All positives: sexy shift lever, fun paddles and a perceived performance increase.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
jplev
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I think I have been convinced to go for it - seems like a nice upgrade for not a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

I didn't get it but should have. Definitely go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish718 View Post
I've been told coding 2TB works fine...
Well, I've coded plenty of things on my car -- removing the iDrive disclaimer, all doors unlock at engine off, actual temperature and pressure displayed in FTM, weather band radio and more.

But all these are simply turning on something that already exists in the car -- like setting a key in the Windows registry. These kinds of coding changes do not attempt to tell the car it has something that wasn't built in at the factory. They simply turn on features that are discovered to be in the car by people experimenting with coding.

VO coding is different -- in this case, you actually ADD features to the car. 2TB (sport AT) is one such feature. You either have it or you don't when the car is built. 6NF (enhanced Bluetooth) is another feature that you have or not when you order the car.

The difference is between 2TB and something like 6NF is, as you point out, software. 6NF depends on the presence of specific hardware. If you have the hardware, you can tell the car you have 6NF and it will work. The question is can you get the effect of 2TB by simply turning it on via VO coding or is the control unit on the ZF transmission control unit loaded with different firmware on 2TB cars? That is, the units may be identical EXCEPT FOR THE SOFTWARE IN THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT. VO coding 2TB isn't the same thing as coding the ECU for the AT.

And, people saying it's "working" doesn't prove that VO coding 2TB works. For example, in my MY12 ZSL car, it was possible to order variable steering (2VL) WITHOUT M-sport adaptive suspension (I forget the feature code for this option). That's how my car is built. I have 2VL with 704 (M sport suspension from ZSL, but it's not adaptive).

Nonetheless, I coded the car to "have" adaptive suspension and it "works." That means I can set the adaptive suspension settings in iDrive -- but of course it changes nothing in the car.

You can argue that 2TB is "just software" all you want -- but nobody but a BMW engineer can tell you if simply VO coding it in a car actually does anything in the real world.

In short, telling the car you have 2TB may not be the same thing as actually having 2TB since we don't know where the 2TB software actually lives.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
badfish718
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i M-Sport EB2

Quote:
Well, I've coded plenty of things on my car -- removing the iDrive disclaimer, all doors unlock at engine off, actual temperature and pressure displayed in FTM, weather band radio and more.

But all these are simply turning on something that already exists in the car -- like setting a key in the Windows registry. These kinds of coding changes do not attempt to tell the car it has something that wasn't built in at the factory. They simply turn on features that are discovered to be in the car by people experimenting with coding.

VO coding is different -- in this case, you actually ADD features to the car. 2TB (sport AT) is one such feature. You either have it or you don't when the car is built. 6NF (enhanced Bluetooth) is another feature that you have or not when you order the car.

The difference is between 2TB and something like 6NF is, as you point out, software. 6NF depends on the presence of specific hardware. If you have the hardware, you can tell the car you have 6NF and it will work. The question is can you get the effect of 2TB by simply turning it on via VO coding or is the control unit on the ZF transmission control unit loaded with different firmware on 2TB cars? That is, the units may be identical EXCEPT FOR THE SOFTWARE IN THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT. VO coding 2TB isn't the same thing as coding the ECU for the AT.

And, people saying it's "working" doesn't prove that VO coding 2TB works. For example, in my MY12 ZSL car, it was possible to order variable steering (2VL) WITHOUT M-sport adaptive suspension (I forget the feature code for this option). That's how my car is built. I have 2VL with 704 (M sport suspension from ZSL, but it's not adaptive).

Nonetheless, I coded the car to "have" adaptive suspension and it "works." That means I can set the adaptive suspension settings in iDrive -- but of course it changes nothing in the car.

You can argue that 2TB is "just software" all you want -- but nobody but a BMW engineer can tell you if simply VO coding it in a car actually does anything in the real world.

In short, telling the car you have 2TB may not be the same thing as actually having 2TB since we don't know where the 2TB software actually lives.
Thanks, I understand how VO coding works. A member reached out to me who has successfully coded his VO, along with a few other steps, to enable 2TB and they told me they noticed quicker shifting, and that the added sport features in Sport+ such as not automatically shifting up at redline were in fact added.

I have not yet attempted coding this specific feature myself so I personally cannot attest to whether it works or not, but the member who reached out to me to provide instructions did confirm that while shifting did feel a little quicker, the added manual features were evident.

The "cooler" shifter is not worth $1000 btw. The ability to paddle shift is nice to have and I will consider upgrading my wheel eventually, but my current shifter is staying put.

Prev:
07 E92 335i Montego/Saddle - Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish718 View Post
Thanks, I understand how VO coding works. A member reached out to me who has successfully coded his VO, along with a few other steps, to enable 2TB and they told me they noticed quicker shifting, and that the added sport features in Sport+ such as not automatically shifting up at redline were in fact added.

I have not yet attempted coding this specific feature myself so I personally cannot attest to whether it works or not, but the member who reached out to me to provide instructions did confirm that while shifting did feel a little quicker, the added manual features were evident.

The "cooler" shifter is not worth $1000 btw. The ability to paddle shift is nice to have and I will consider upgrading my wheel eventually, but my current shifter is staying put.
Heuristics and maybe a little of the placebo effect.

I didn't buy 2TB for the shifter. I bought it for the sport AT functionality. Having it differentiated is nice, though -- I like being able to tell at a glance what transmission is in an F30.
Appreciate 0