ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Consensus (guesses) for when M4 specs are released?

So...... How much longer are they going to make us wait??! I thought I saw a rumor that it might be sometime this week - but now I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait til Frankfurt in September. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
The specs can't come soon enough. The car looks great, but now it is time to see the technical aspects of it all. How much better is it over the E92 and the competition?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I hope it's soon as my m3 is currently up for sale and returning back to stock. Don't want to regret my decision so I hope we know soon. Currently on the list at Steve Thomas BMW for the M4.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Few weeks for some info.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Few weeks for some info.
Seriously? Thought we would have to wait for the official production reveal in Detroit (or wherever that will happen.) based on "few weeks" sounds like we will get some info around Frankfurt?
      08-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It should be expected that BMW won't release full specs until the production cars are revealed.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

What about tomorrow's live M4 concept presentation that starts @ 8:00pm pst?
Are they going to reveal any info there?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
What about tomorrow's live M4 concept presentation that starts @ 8:00pm pst?
Are they going to reveal any info there?
Most certainly not. As Jason said, we have to wait few weeks for some info and then some more time for the rest.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Info without any numbers would go a long way to keep the excitement up and frustration down for the coming months. Info like this:

- EPS
- Twin Turbo 3.0l I6
- Passive M suspension with option of EDC

Personally I would love to have the chance to digest these areas for a couple of months before the launch. Especially EPS if that's what we are getting.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

An M-laptimer will be an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

That one thread a guy made with speculation of a 0-60 in the mid to high 3s, and a quarter mile time similar to the Aventador, really got me excited...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Well - end of September it is per CCA re-reveal tonight! Hate the fact we still have to wait another month!! (Although on the bright side, that's a lot shorter than wondering for past couple of years)...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Well - end of September it is per CCA re-reveal tonight! Hate the fact we still have to wait another month!! (Although on the bright side, that's a lot shorter than wondering for past couple of years)...
Ha, you beat me to it. Somehow though I think we won't get weight and power. We'll probably get I6 vs. V6 (pretty well known already I guess) and probably power and torque.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am a little bit concerned with the comments from Autobild. I know it is just one publication and they could be totally off, but it is sounding like this might be a twin turbo inline 6 with a little more horsepower than the current M3 and a lot more torque. I am hoping for something more interesting (tri-turbo rumors) and with hp higher, closer to 450.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I am a little bit concerned with the comments from Autobild. I know it is just one publication and they could be totally off, but it is sounding like this might be a twin turbo inline 6 with a little more horsepower than the current M3 and a lot more torque. I am hoping for something more interesting (tri-turbo rumors) and with hp higher, closer to 450.
Agree ^. Recycling an existing 3 liter engine would be OK with some fancy triple turbo or an electric turbo or something really innovative - something truly ///M! Weight loss certainly is more important than power gains but both would be best. The car will likely be underrated but things still don't look promising. Sure, we all know it will best the E9X M3 but there are many other solid competitors out there and those must be bested as well. It's going to be pretty boring until the next specs come out and even then we probably won't get what we really need, power and weight.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Agree ^. Recycling an existing 3 liter engine would be OK with some fancy triple turbo or an electric turbo or something really innovative - something truly ///M! Weight loss certainly is more important than power gains but both would be best. The car will likely be underrated but things still don't look promising. Sure, we all know it will best the E9X M3 but there are many other solid competitors out there and those must be bested as well. It's going to be pretty boring until the next specs come out and even then we probably won't get what we really need, power and weight.
+1, and that (final weight) likely won't be until the production version launches in Detroit in January.
      08-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1

I really enjoy the effort and input that you give to this forum on multiple levels. Your opinions carry weight with me and it is clear that you are very educated.

I am happy about the issue of weight loss and I still like the car very much (at least what we know about). But like you said the competition is getting very good (mustangs, Camaros, corvettes, amg, etc) and it seems to me that the new hp target is 450 and above with these vehicles. A strong engine in whatever form is needed to be a complete package. This mated to light weight, excellent steering feel, excellent suspension, etc. are needed to carry the M torch for the next generation of M product. I really want the F82 to push the envelope!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If the new M4 doesn't offer a significant leap in performance in every category, or represent a game changer that will send everyone back to the drawing board, then I would think the pricing would not be stratospherically elevated beyond the current M3. I do feel that it will be a great product and I am not trying to be negative. I guess this is why it is so difficult waiting for all the specs and pricing. It's all speculation at this point, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

We'll bring you the first details during the last week of September, so in about a month from now.

Full details/specs won't be available until later this/early next year, though.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0