E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Re-Tightened upper control arm; WHAT DIFF

08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Re-Tightened upper control arm; WHAT DIFF

So my car started to handle like crap and I always wondered wtf was going on when taking an aggressive left turn.

I ended up finding what seemed like a loose control arm bolt so I loosened up everything on the suspension, loaded it all up and then retightened and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

The car feels much much better now and is way tighter up front. Can't believe I had been driving around like that.

Moral: Check your suspension for loose components!
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Whoa that's interesting. So when you said handles like crap, can you give me an example? Like does the car wobble on a turn or what? Thanks.
      08-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

what exactly did you lossen up??
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Wait a minute.. Had to read your post again..

So you 'loosened' or 'tighten' the bolt? I'm confused lol..
      08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Oldboy View Post
Wait a minute.. Had to read your post again..

So you 'loosened' or 'tighten' the bolt? I'm confused lol..

he loosened everything (not just the single loose bolt), then retightened everything with the suspension loaded.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
he loosened everything (not just the single loose bolt), then retightened everything with the suspension loaded.
LOL I must be on crack today.. Thanks for the clarification.
      08-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Car rattles a lot less now that everything is torqued to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Oldboy View Post
Whoa that's interesting. So when you said handles like crap, can you give me an example? Like does the car wobble on a turn or what? Thanks.
Ahhh, I suck at describing this kind of stuff in words haha. In daily driving the one thing that I noticed the most was how the car didn`t feel tight on left turns and I felt like the steering wasn`t connected with the car exactly.

I would turn left and then kind of right before the end of the turn have to cut the steering a bit more left, it wasn`t exactly understeer it was kind of as if there was a dead spot in the steering wheel. Pointing the car car straight after a turn was odd too, it kind of felt like it would wobble a bit before pointing straight.
I don`t really know how to put it into words haha, but the car didn`t feel "planted" and "like it's on rails" like people on these forums love to say.

Now that I've confused you more I'll just say that I could tell something was different in comparison to how the car used to be, the car didn't point where I wanted it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
what exactly did you lossen up??
Upper Control arm to the subframe connection was loose so rather than tightening up just one bolt and checking if my problem goes away I decided to loosen up all the bolts on the drivers side suspension and then torque it all to spec. This way I wouldn't have to keep going back and checking for more loose stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
mike-y always knows the deal when it comes to suspension haha.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Haha thanks for the reply G. I just got confused for a sec with e90sexion's post when he said the word 'loosen' but it's just one of those days for me lol..