E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335d pro-kit installed and now lowered 1.5"!?

08-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I installed the 2092.140 Eibach Pro Kit springs on my 335d along with the Supreme Power suspension perches and when they pulled it around at the shop today I almost puked.

No offense, but I hate slammed bimmers and my car was (in my opinion) slammed. I was expecting .5" drop AFTER it settled but instead I got about a 1.5" drop up front. Just imagine after it settles- yikes.

Leaving the shop for a test drive it rubbed the front wheels and tires pretty often, and it felt a little bit muted. Like it couldn't travel like it should and it needed or wanted to.

The only idea I have is that the shop cut the front bumpstops even though eibach says to reuse the factory bumpstops when reusing factory dampers. In fact the eibach spring sets are designed to be used with the factory dampers and bumpstops per Jared at Eibach.

The shop owner said his girlfriend got the same springs recently and the front was slammed on hers too. Weird!

Any idea why this happened? They agreed to remove the spring perches and put the cut piece of the bumpstops back on the struts. Just wanted to get this posted to see if there was possibly feedback from other members?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Pics of the drop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Pro kit literature for 335i #2092.140 says 1.4" drop in front, 1" rear (on non sport suspension cars) and recommends trimming bump stops 1". Not sure where you got 0.5".

Eg

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...h-pro-kit.html
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well with bumpstops back in and the spring perches removed it leveled out nicely. Still really low compared to pics I've seen online. It must be a "d" thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Pro kit literature for 335i #2092.140 says 1.4" drop in front, 1" rear (on non sport suspension cars) and recommends trimming bump stops 1". Not sure where you got 0.5".

Eg

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...h-pro-kit.html
Non-sport... And feedback from other members all say .5" is what they got after it settled.

Maybe my expectations were the only problem.

I talked to eibach today and thru said to NOT cut bumpstops.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Non-sport... And feedback from other members all say .5" is what they got after it settled.

Countless threads here with a lot more drop, plus if you do install yourself and read instructions that come with the springs it says trim stops 1". Eibachs own literature says 1.4" drop. Not sure who you were talking to or reading.

Just search, I have no reason to make this up. Plus I have the same springs and a lot more drop (xi), and did the install myself (and read the instructions).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Countless threads here with a lot more drop, plus if you do install yourself and read instructions that come with the springs it says trim stops 1".

Just search, I have no reason to make this up. Plus I have the same springs and a lot more drop (xi), and did the install myself (and read the instructions).
Rear bumpstops only or fronts as well?? Thanks cause I really didn't know. Trusted a guy over thee phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Both front and rear. Thing is with the eibachs they are only for 335i, no distinction between AT or MT. We use them on the xi even though it is heavier, and certainly the 335d is as well. OEM BMW has different spring combinations for all of the above, depending on optional equipment, to get to the same ride height. But nearly all have the same spring rate (as do the eibachs). Therefore the eibachs will drop more or less depending on weight.

So briefly, all 335i coupes and 335i sedan w/sport suspension will see approx 1" F/0.8" rear. Non sport sedans will see the 1.4"/1.0" as above give or take depending on options, heavier will see more drop than lighter cars.

The eibach instructions recommend trimming 1" front and rear off bump stops. Usually this is off the thicker end to leave the progressive character of the stops. However given the above fact that differnt cars start at different ride heights, one might infer that the coupes & sports need less trimming and the heavier non sports need the full 1".

The preferred solution instead of trimming has been to use e36M3 front and Z4M rear stops, OEM, available anywhere parts are sold.

Quite a bit of discussion on this here and in the Xi section.

BTW is occurs to me you may have read 0.5" regarding just the spring perches? In any case search and read and then make up your mind which way you want to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

One other thing, what are the size and offsets of those wheels/tires? You may need to look at that more closely WRT drop if rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Eibach states not cutting the front and cutting one inch off of the bottom side of the rears.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One other thing, what are the size and offsets of those wheels/tires? You may need to look at that more closely WRT drop if rubbing.
I could probably add a 5mm spacer on all four corners without rubbing (and I may!) but the front without bumpstops, and with spring perches and stock struts, it didn't work well. Rubbing in turns with bumps would have driven me crazy. The Michelin PSS is big for its size and is a contributing factor but it was simply too low and too poorly damped.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

1st pic looks badass lol

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine
1st pic looks badass lol
Haha thanks but it isn't my style. I wish the whole car sat about 1/4" higher but I was told to anticipate approximately 1/4" additional drop. These springs will be up for sale soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #14
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Eibach states not cutting the front and cutting one inch off of the bottom side of the rears.
Quite a few people here find that not cutting bump stops (or not going with the shorter e36m3/Z4M) car rides too stiff & bouncy + they do not get the drop they thought they'd get. Esp on stock shocks. That is because you're riding on compressed stops at that point, there is not shock travel left. People also often say their install needed two months to settle under these conditions, that is just the stops getting crushed over time.

Reasoning goes like this. If Eibach recommends cutting rears 1", when the rear drop is at most 1" (losing 1" of susp travel), then if the front drop is 1.4" or more why not cut the fronts? You have used up a lot more of the available travel with that drop than in the rear.

Well my personal opinion is a car riding on rear stops is dangerous handling wise (too stiff and un damped), a car riding on front stops is not. So Eibach insists you cut rears yet is equivocal about fronts.

I would say chill out do nothing ride around and get used to how your car is now. Read some more here and decide what to do. If you find your car feels too stiff in front (over bumps esp) then get the e36M3 front stops.

Problem with your original OEM stops in addition to being very long is they tend to get brittle and turn to dust over time esp when continuously crushed by 3500+ lbs of weightsitting on them. They are not meant to be ridden on, just to stop metal on metal contact at full compression every so often.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quite a few people here find that not cutting bump stops (or not going with the shorter e36m3/Z4M) car rides too stiff & bouncy + they do not get the drop they thought they'd get. Esp on stock shocks. That is because you're riding on compressed stops at that point, there is not shock travel left. People also often say their install needed two months to settle under these conditions, that is just the stops getting crushed over time.

Reasoning goes like this. If Eibach recommends cutting rears 1", when the rear drop is at most 1" (losing 1" of susp travel), then if the front drop is 1.4" or more why not cut the fronts? You have used up a lot more of the available travel with that drop than in the rear.

Well my personal opinion is a car riding on rear stops is dangerous handling wise (too stiff and un damped), a car riding on front stops is not. So Eibach insists you cut rears yet is equivocal about fronts.

I would say chill out do nothing ride around and get used to how your car is now. Read some more here and decide what to do. If you find your car feels too stiff in front (over bumps esp) then get the e36M3 front stops.

Problem with your original OEM stops in addition to being very long is they tend to get brittle and turn to dust over time esp when continuously crushed by 3500+ lbs of weightsitting on them. They are not meant to be ridden on, just to stop metal on metal contact at full compression every so often.
In either going to get the eibach pro-system (with dampers) or the BMW performance suspension. Since it was just springs and install I'll call it a $300 mistake and take my losses.

The car rides okay... Not great but not terrible. It's just far too low.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
In either going to get the eibach pro-system (with dampers) or the BMW performance suspension. Since it was just springs and install I'll call it a $300 mistake and take my losses.

The car rides okay... Not great but not terrible. It's just far too low.
Sounds like BMW Perf is what you need. about a 3/8-1/2" drop and a nice increase in handling without ruining the daily driver factor. Had it on two cars now and love it.
Appreciate 0