BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board energy efficient pool pumps?

08-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

energy efficient pool pumps?

Are they worth the cost? My pump died this morning, been a long time coming, and I need to replace it. Does spending double on a pump pay off? My power bills are not that much at my house. They are normally around $125-130 with a few peeks around $180. If anyone has installed one and experienced a drop in power usage please share.

Pool: 20,000 gallon in-ground gunite finish.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

You would have to look into what the cost per day is now vs whatever pump you are thinking of getting. If you don't run the pump much, then it is less of a factor as well. My neighbor installed one, and says that he saves about $35 per month (25000 gallons) but he runs his pump for like 12 hours a day.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I average with winter probably 6 hours a day. I did the interactive display at pinch a penny and on their $1200 I'd save almost 900/yr. I don't believe that in the least
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
I average with winter probably 6 hours a day. I did the interactive display at pinch a penny and on their $1200 I'd save almost 900/yr. I don't believe that in the least
In your case with as little as you run it, I would say you may be better off going with the regular pump for half the money. The break even point is going to be a ways off, because as you said, $900 a year is high.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Math, dude. Get your power bill and see what you pay for kWh. Look at the wattage of the two pumps you're considering. If they aren't the same flow rate, see how many hours a day you'll have to run them to pump the desired amount of water.

wattage of pump (1000W = 1 kW) times hours on per day give you kWh used per day. Multiple that by your rate and you see your cost per day. Subtract one from the other and you'll see how many dollars per day you'll save. Then you can calculate your time to break even. If it's many years, you may be better off investing the money in your IRA than in a pump- run the numbers and check.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

only thing i cared about was how much power it had and how quite it was. Mine is super quite and is plenty strong. Whisper Flow, it might be variable speed as well, but i hasn't looked into varying the speed.