F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW M Performance Rocker Panel
GetBMWParts

09-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

BMW M Performance Rocker Panel

Has anyone installed these on their own? Specifically the plastic insert for the M sport only not the film for the non m sport. I was wondering if I was easy enough to do on my own or If I should have it installed in the port?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

It's super easy to do. I installed the whole M kit including carbon rear spoiler in about 3 hours. When I bought the M aerodynamics kit I was going to pass on these because I thought they wouldn't be noticed on the car. I was wrong, they change the profile quite a bit and they are super easy to put on. Basically you will need a 3mm drill bit and a 5mm drill bit if memory serves. You will pre-drill about 17 holes into each on at the marked locations. They come with a double sided tape already on them so you can stick them to the underside of your rocker. Once they are aligned and stuck on to the rocker panel, re-drill through the original holes you drilled so you can pierce the underside of the rocker panel. Next, use the supplied plastic rivets to secure them. You will DEFINITELY need a plastic rivet gun. They're about $15 or so. Regular river guns will not work. There are also 6 phillips head screws that you will have to screw in towards the front of the lip.

Sounds like a lot of work but really 15 minutes or so per side. 25 if you take your time. I found that jacking up the car from the front jack point and using a couple of 2x4 pieces to extend the height was perfect to get the drill under the car to drill upwards.

Hope this helps.
      09-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
It's super easy to do. I installed the whole M kit including carbon rear spoiler in about 3 hours. When I bought the M aerodynamics kit I was going to pass on these because I thought they wouldn't be noticed on the car. I was wrong, they change the profile quite a bit and they are super easy to put on. Basically you will need a 3mm drill bit and a 5mm drill bit if memory serves. You will pre-drill about 17 holes into each on at the marked locations. They come with a double sided tape already on them so you can stick them to the underside of your rocker. Once they are aligned and stuck on to the rocker panel, re-drill through the original holes you drilled so you can pierce the underside of the rocker panel. Next, use the supplied plastic rivets to secure them. You will DEFINITELY need a plastic rivet gun. They're about $15 or so. Regular river guns will not work. There are also 6 phillips head screws that you will have to screw in towards the front of the lip.

Sounds like a lot of work but really 15 minutes or so per side. 25 if you take your time. I found that jacking up the car from the front jack point and using a couple of 2x4 pieces to extend the height was perfect to get the drill under the car to drill upwards.

Hope this helps.
It does help, Thanks. Didn't realize you had to drill holes for the fenders..Not that I have problems with it. It's a lease and if I have it installed in port it's covered under warranty but costs more. I'll have to look at some more pics to determine if I should skip them all together.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

you don't actually have to drill the holes .the double sided tape holds it on perfectly.