E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > stupidest move i ever did!

10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

stupidest move i ever did!

So yesterday afternoon I was changing the engine oil. (It's not the first time ...)
after i installed the filter, I didn't tight it sufficiently and i had a leak after i turned on the car. i immediately stopped it and tighten the filter.
everything was fine, i clean up the oil showers on the visible spots.

this morning when i woke up, i turn on the car i heard the belt slipping (never did that before) and another strange noise (im am note sure but i may be the alternator)
since i didn't have that much time, I drove the car around the block to see if the sound goes away, after a minute sound is better but i didn't want to take the risk to take it to work so i drove my beater.
there is no oil leak anymore but probably some oil from yesterday and most of them was probably by the belt.

now my question is, what kind of damages should i expect?
how to clean the rest of the oil ?
Im very worried to not damage the alternator, is there any way to clean it ?
should i replace the belt ?

please help
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Don't panic it will wear off.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Get a can of the belt anti squeal . They sell it at autozone and other parts stores . I think it states that it removes oil deposits and help condition the rubber. Or a power wash at the car wash with degreaser would help.
      10-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

You will be OK. My cousin had the same situation. He was driving it for about ~2 weeks with a loose oil filter. It kept giving him a low oil warning. I found out his oil filter cap was loose and tighten it. It is running fine now without any problems except nasty oil gunk under his car. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

ok i just inspected the car!
everything is fine, but the belt is slipping, i will replace it tomorrow the car is 75k miles (25k miles of ownership)
I don't know if it was replaced before, so it's a good time to do so. I bought a degreaser, and i have a steamer i will clean the engine bay tomorrow
and it will look like before ;D

Appreciate 0