ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Has anyone installed their own clear bra?

Thinking about getting a clear bra put on the car while the paint is still nice and new, but the best quote I've gotten so far is $600 installed which seems a little ridiculous. It can't be that hard to put on, can it? Has anyone here done it themselves?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Thumbs down Don't go there

$600 for a full (bumper cover, hood, fenders, outside mirrors, door edges, door handle cups, and headlight protection) edge wrap-around 3M Scotchcal clear paint protection kit installed is not a bad price. The pattern is key to a good installation as well as someone who knows what they are doing. It looks like an easy job but it's also very easy to screw it up.
Spend the money and get it done correctly.
I had my full kit installed by Accutint in Seattle, WA and they did an outstanding job for $700 including a BMW Club discount and 8.9% State sales tax.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

hmm $700 for a clear bra? NO WAY

don't do it urself either...it's like tint and it's extremely hard to do it right
      10-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Rosie...where are you???? I think you have a clear bra, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
alindsay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexstrafer View Post
Thinking about getting a clear bra put on the car while the paint is still nice and new, but the best quote I've gotten so far is $600 installed which seems a little ridiculous. It can't be that hard to put on, can it? Has anyone here done it themselves?
I thought the same thing when I first considered getting the clear bra. I had a fair amount of experience installing large vinyl graphics and tapes when I was in the boat business so I figured I could probably do this.

When I was at Homecoming, I watched the vendor there doing 3M installs and realized that no way could I do this and come out with an acceptable looking result. I let them install it. Took them at least an hour with sometimes 3 men working on it. You really have to know what you are doing and have the right tools and techniques.
Melbourne, FL
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, sounds like I better not cheap out on this. I'll let the pros do it. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
$630 plus tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
SNIP
That's $630 plus 8.9% sales tax for a full 3M Scotchcal kit that includes front bumper cover, hood, fenders, outside mirrors, door edges, door handle cups, rear rocker panel, and headlights.
You can always get less coverage for less money.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Rosie...where are you???? I think you have a clear bra, don't you?
Um, this is a very old and VERY active thread. I believe the suggestion was to use clear tape in my case. A cars a little bigger so probably won't work as well.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Here's the deal on the clear bra: Don't do it unless you are going to do it right. My MC is close to a 60,000.00 car. The price of a clear bra was not an issue. I live in Vegas and the first day I got the car home (I had trailered it from the dealer in LA), I asked my dent guy, who is a genius, where I could get the best clear bra installed. He pointed me to the guy who does the Ferrari's and Aston Martin's for the Wynn Las Vegas dealership. I went to see the guy and the job was quoted at $900.00. This was for full front, side mirrors, and a covering on the low area just before the rear wheel well which flares out. I happily paid it. My car looked like a little turd parked at the shop between a Bugatti Veyron and an Aston Martin. The bra is flawless and has a lifetime replacement, repair guarantee. I know $900.00 seems a lot, but you get what you pay for. If you can get a professional job at $600.00, do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post
Um, this is a very old and VERY active thread. I believe the suggestion was to use clear tape in my case. A cars a little bigger so probably won't work as well.

A little bigger....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Roland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MCoupe

I'll second the opinion of those saying "Don't do it yourself". I had mine done by Accutint (same as Jim Millet) and it looks great (a year later by the way). I've seen Jim Millet's - same result. I've also seen others with it on the same model car and they look pretty awful. So imho: pay the $700+ and have it done right or be reminded of the money you "saved" everytime you look at the crappy installation.
      10-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Already have an appointment for install. Thanks again for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
cardebt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 Coupe Slvr Gry

Garage List
2007 Z4 Coupe  [7.00]
Bumper - Clearbra for new Z4, yes or no?

My dealer says he's going to hook me up with his guy who has been doing the install for them for 7 years, so I assume he is good. At least I hope so. The CA at the dealership is telling me that the clear bra wasn't designed to go on the bumper and that those who get the bumper done are inevitably disappointed with the result. What re your thought from those of you who have had this done? Also how many inches should I get done on the hood? thanksamillion for the help.
07 Ford Expedition EL Limited Carbon Metallic - Active
RETIRED - 02 996 Cab -02 M Roadster -02 996 C4S -02 E46 M3 SMG - 99 Z3 2.8 - 98 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post

don't do it urself either...it's like tint and it's extremely hard to do it right
Worth every penny. Mine came with a lifetime warranty, if the corner starts to lift they will fix or replace it. It really saves your paint from gettin sand blasted.
      07-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
jaskispyder
Rep
Drives: Z4

did it myself

I bought the kit from Invica (sp?) and installed it. I did one on my Z3 and now my Z4. It isn't hard, just takes time. I am sure someone could have done it better, but I am happy with the results and it looks like it belongs there.

J.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
04z4
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

I realize this is an old thread, but the topic is still current. I purchased a pre-cut kit on eBay from "chipgardman" recently for $195.50 including shipping. I installed it myself and am satisfied with the result. It is not that easy and takes a fair amount of time so I understand why professional installation is expensive.

The kit came with a squeegee (seems to be of good quality and works well), a good 33 minute how-to video on CD and he also emailed me a bunch of written instructions. I received permission to post the written instructions here. See the attached PDF file.

The material was genuine 3M and there were a few surplus pieces of film. I used the surplus to protect the area right behind the front wheels and this was the first part I installed for "practice."

The installation was tricky and I would say a professional could probably do a slightly better job but I do not regret doing it myself. The trickiest part is the bumper because of its size and the alignment and curvature. A second person to help for a short time with the bumper would have been good. The hood is actually the easiest part because it is just a large flat area with no tricky curves to worry about.

Sharp curves can cause the film to want to pop back up off the surface repeatedly as you keep pushing it down with the squeegee. But the video explains how to deal with this (a little heat from a hair dryer) and the technique worked for me. In general, I understand warm temperatures are supposed to make the film easier to install. It was about 85 degrees in my garage, so that was plenty warm.

I probably spent about 5 hours on the job, not including giving the car a real good wash job and doing a little paint touch-up first.

So if you are fairly skilled with your hands and careful, you can do this yourself and save a good amount of money.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Paint Protection Film Installation Instructions.pdf (227.2 KB, 615 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #17
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

I had my hood, roof, side skirts, front quarters, bumper and head lights done.

No way would I do that job myself.

I had VentureShield™ made by 3M installed by some very experienced professionals. The cost was expensive but worth it.

I did my entire hood, front bumper, roof, front quarters, head lights and side skirts with the stuff.

You cannot even tell it is on the vehicle, which is the whole idea in the first place and I have never had a stone chip.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04z4 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but the topic is still current. I purchased a pre-cut kit on eBay from "chipgardman" recently for $195.50 including shipping. I installed it myself and am satisfied with the result. It is not that easy and takes a fair amount of time so I understand why professional installation is expensive.

The kit came with a squeegee (seems to be of good quality and works well), a good 33 minute how-to video on CD and he also emailed me a bunch of written instructions. I received permission to post the written instructions here. See the attached PDF file.

The material was genuine 3M and there were a few surplus pieces of film. I used the surplus to protect the area right behind the front wheels and this was the first part I installed for "practice."

The installation was tricky and I would say a professional could probably do a slightly better job but I do not regret doing it myself. The trickiest part is the bumper because of its size and the alignment and curvature. A second person to help for a short time with the bumper would have been good. The hood is actually the easiest part because it is just a large flat area with no tricky curves to worry about.

Sharp curves can cause the film to want to pop back up off the surface repeatedly as you keep pushing it down with the squeegee. But the video explains how to deal with this (a little heat from a hair dryer) and the technique worked for me. In general, I understand warm temperatures are supposed to make the film easier to install. It was about 85 degrees in my garage, so that was plenty warm.

I probably spent about 5 hours on the job, not including giving the car a real good wash job and doing a little paint touch-up first.

So if you are fairly skilled with your hands and careful, you can do this yourself and save a good amount of money.
I did it myself as well. The reflectors on the bumper make it that much harder to line up. I ended up cutting the film into a two smaller pieces for an easier installation. It doesn't look as good as a professional install but I love diy and try to do it every chance I get.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I used InvisibleMask and the process was pretty easy. It's actually a funny story. They sent me the kit for a standard Z4, not an M. So I installed it and said this looks strange. I had to cut away so much excess material I knew something was wrong.
The company honored the mistake and sent me a new bumper piece but I'll admit, they were impossible to reach, and they took their time.
The process was easier the second time and the results were better! Go figure. But both were really acceptable. The trick is, install it when it's warm, and let it roast in the sun. Dark cars will show more imperfection that light cars, but a lot of it fades away after the sun gets at it.
I'm neutral on InvisibleMask because the delay and difficulty in customer service hurt my opinion, but their product is really good. And the best part, if you ruin a panel, they will sell you the replacement at the cost of material. They say they don't add on the pattern cost and profit margin. That's what sold me on the idea of doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
Has anyone in new jersey had a clear bra professionally done? If so where? Thx.
      03-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Swanicyouth
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Clear, the best installer

Just had my clear bra done yesterday. I live in PA and drove 2 hours to N. New Jersey to get it done by Lee Berrebi at his own company, Applied Film Technology. This is Sopranos country. First off, he is a super cool knowledgeable guy about all things automotive. Secondly, he did an excellent, I mean a FINE looking job. Holy sh**t, it looks perfect. This guy has been doing this for 17 years. I watched him do it, and there is no freaken way I could get his kind of result myself. The price was more than fair for the work, and I plan on having him do any work of this type I need in the future. I can't stress enough what a great job he did and what a good experience the whole thing was. Worth driving from anywhere to have this dude clear bra your car. His contact is:
leeberbs@comcast.net
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
sullivan8
Rep
Drives: toyota corolla

oh dear sweet jesus no. don't even think about paying 600 or 700 dollars for a clear bra and neither should you also be thinking about putting it on yourself. lest you be really really sorry. same goes for anything else.