F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > cheap way to upgrade hi-fi system
Studio RSR

10-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

cheap way to upgrade hi-fi system

I wasnt able to locate a car that had everything I wanted and the HK system...so im stuck with the hi-fi system. its not a horrible system by any means....but i like to listen to my music loud and it starts distorting after 60-70% volume.

my G37 had the bose system (which i thought was great) and my Jag has the Meridian system which isnt all that.

my car is a lease and i dont want to spend thousands on an upgrade. by no means am i an audiophile or listen to lossless audio files, I mostly listen to XM radio, pandora and MP3's. I like clarity and i like thump in my music and generally turn up the bass and treble.

what would you guys recommend for some simple upgrades I can do to get a better (doesnt have to be the best) sound experience. I did some reading, but audio is not my thing so i wasnt able to follow along.

would it be possible to upgrade the door speakers to something with more quality so that it doesnt sound like its made of paper when the bass hits? would that require a different amp? maybe change the tweeters? would a new amp alone give me an increase?

i really like how hard the woofers hit in my G, you could feel it in your bones. the hi-fi woofers dont do much. what kind of improvements could there be? i dont want to add a woofer in my trunk, if anything just replace whats under the seats.

i probably wouldnt want to spend more than $500 for all of this. I could possibly do the upgrade myself if its easy.
      10-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Not an easy question to answer. With that budget you can't do a whole lot. Maybe replace some speakers and get a small improvement but that is subjective and not a sure fix.... or replace a few less speakers and get a cheap amp upgrade, that's considering your doing all the work yourself and don't need to buy anything to get it done. In my experience a high quality amp and head unit are more responsible for great sound then the best speakers you can afford with factory or budget amp.

It's like saying I want to invest 500 bucks to make my 328 as fast as a 335, it won't happen, but it might if you throw enough money at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Search technic harness and amp (on this site).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
undeath324
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Mineral Grey

i buy alpine hifi system f20 10 mounths ago and i buy harman kardon bass for my car( bass is 2006 760i invidual sound logic 7 bass) harman kardon 2 mid and 2 tweeter. Harman kardon midd and tweeter on front door, alpine md and tweter(in set) rear door and easily wiring kit anfi. i am very happy at the moment
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
I wasnt able to locate a car that had everything I wanted and the HK system...so im stuck with the hi-fi system. its not a horrible system by any means....but i like to listen to my music loud and it starts distorting after 60-70% volume.

my G37 had the bose system (which i thought was great) and my Jag has the Meridian system which isnt all that.

my car is a lease and i dont want to spend thousands on an upgrade. by no means am i an audiophile or listen to lossless audio files, I mostly listen to XM radio, pandora and MP3's. I like clarity and i like thump in my music and generally turn up the bass and treble.

what would you guys recommend for some simple upgrades I can do to get a better (doesnt have to be the best) sound experience. I did some reading, but audio is not my thing so i wasnt able to follow along.

would it be possible to upgrade the door speakers to something with more quality so that it doesnt sound like its made of paper when the bass hits? would that require a different amp? maybe change the tweeters? would a new amp alone give me an increase?

i really like how hard the woofers hit in my G, you could feel it in your bones. the hi-fi woofers dont do much. what kind of improvements could there be? i dont want to add a woofer in my trunk, if anything just replace whats under the seats.

i probably wouldnt want to spend more than $500 for all of this. I could possibly do the upgrade myself if its easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=28

Quote:

Hope you saw my shout out above!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Hope you saw my shout out above!
Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Messing over Nutmeg

Quote:

Sounds like the best thing for you is a sub. We don't currently offer an upgrade for your car, but plan to in the near future. In the meantime there are some other options out there, but I don't particularly enjoy linking to competitors so I'll let you search it out.

That said, we do offer a great speaker upgrade that's designed to improve overall sound quality (clarity, detail, warmth, etc). Not a sponsor so we can't link. Head to our site and you'll figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
rxteasley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1991 525i 5spd

need info on purchasing harness also

looking to purchase technic harness to upgrade sound of old e65 logic7 system; need info on ordering and payment
Appreciate 0