E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Valve Cover Gasket - Liquid Gasket

10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Valve Cover Gasket - Liquid Gasket

Just back from my local dealership -- yes they are very helpful and match part cost from Tischer -- where I purchased the necessary parts for N54 valve cover gasket replacement.
I spoke with a tech who says that in training they are taught not to use any sealant in replacing the valve cover gasket. However; in reality, nobody wants to do the job twice and most BMW techs use a product made by Honda called Hondabond HT (hi-temp, Silicone Liquid Gasket) to ensure the gasket seals. Spread thinly and carefully not to block any ports.
I plan to accomplish this task in the next several weeks and will report my observations.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I used a similar product on the oil pan for an e46 because believe me, if you think having to do the valve cover gasket is bad, the oil pan is 10x worse. Anyway, it's been holding strong for about 6 months now.
Appreciate 0