E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Chicago area track question - Newbie alert!

10-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
ray_iii
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Mtgo Blue w/ Sdl, ZPP,ZSP

Chicago area track question - Newbie alert!

Hey guys,

I'm just looking to take my baby out on a track before it gets too cold here.

I've read about tracks in Joliet and in Wisconsin, but I can't figure out when they just have "open sessions" where you can drive up, pay $30 or so and drive around for a few laps.

Does this exist around here?

Is there a tracking 101 thread anyone has seen?

Any help/guidance is appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

You will have a lot more fun and be a lot safer if you don't go out on the track without an instructor your first time.

Check out your local BMWCCA (BMW Car Club of America) chapter. I'm sure they have a few driver's schools during the year. You are probably too late for this season.

You can also check out other car clubs. Porsche clubs are usually friendly to their BMW brothers and sisters.

Or, come down to Nelson Ledges in Ohio on November 2nd. They are having an open track day ($100 for the day). I'll be there and would be glad to take you on the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
ray_iii
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Mtgo Blue w/ Sdl, ZPP,ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
You will have a lot more fun and be a lot safer if you don't go out on the track without an instructor your first time.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely interested in learning some of the proper techniques before going out on my own.

Typically, how much do these instructors charge?

I wanted to go to the BMW perf. driving school when it was in town but was $1500!!?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
gloster
Captain
Rep

Good news; you are talking about something different. BMW (the company) has a performance driving school. There are also other driving schools run by other companies like Skip Barber. They are all expensive.

There are also local enthusiasts in most major cities organized into non-profit car clubs. The BMW club is called the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA). Here is their website: http://www.bmwcca.org/

I'm sure you can find a local club chapter on that site. Local chapters run driving schools at local tracks. Members of the chapter serve as instructors at the schools. They don't charge; they do it to support the club and because someone did it for them. Typically driving schools run by clubs run around $100 to $150 for a one day school or $200 - $300 for a two day school. At least that's what they run in my area. It depends mostly on what the local track charges the chapter to rent the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
gloster
Captain
Rep

Oh -- there are a few other costs to consider.

You will need a helmet. Most clubs require at least a Snell SA 2000 or 2005 certified helmet. That will run you about $150 for an inexpensive one.

You will run through more tire tread than you would during a day of normal driving. Figure you will run through about a month's worth of normal driving tread.

The real danger is you will get addicted to the track. Then the costs are endless.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
You definitely want to join windy city bmw (local bmwcca chapter). It is very inexpensive for a membership plus you receive Roundel magazine as being part of bmwcca. Most tracks don't really offer open times where you can just show up. The easiest way to have access to track time/driving schools is through a club/group like the bmwcca, plus the rates are usually discounted.

Windy city bmw just had a general meeting this past weekend at autobahn country club (joliet) and afterward we are able to "tour" the entire track (north and south section) for about 20 minutes. I think we got about 3 or 4 laps in, I was able to hit 105 on the back straights

There are at least two 2-day driving schools they offer - one at Road America and another at Gingerman. Roughly $325 or so - definitely worth it. Like the previous poster said you have to purchase a snell rated helmet, plus the aforementioned schools require that you bring an extra set of brake pads in case you wear through your existing pads.

I couldn't do them this year but I am definitely going to sign up for next year.

good luck

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0