E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > P1553 Error - Vanos Solenoid Fix?

11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

P1553 Error - Vanos Solenoid Fix?

I've been getting a red alert in the dash occasionally, along with a check engine light a few time, so hooked up the OBD reader and got a P1553 code...

A quick search shows this might be Vanos Solenoid related... I searched and found a thread about cleaning/ replacing and had a few questions which weren't answered:

- Can I clean/replace the solenoids without removing the engine cover on an N52?
- Are there any visible signs of fault that would lead me to replace instead of cleaning them (this is the first time I've gotten this code)
- What can I clean them with (computer duster, brakleen?) And how should I do it?
- What's this about switching the positions of the intake/ exhaust solenoids? Is there some performance reason for this or just to isolate the problem? (also will different positions throw different codes; ie 1553/1554?)

Tried using all the existing posts, but really just want some clear answers I couldn't find. Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Keep looking... all the info you need is in the forums.

Clean them and swap them out!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC/2011 335is DCT

Garage List
2014 650i Gran Coupe  [0.00]
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
I think the reason for swapping is because the exhaust one wears out faster, but I've been wrong before.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I replaced mine, but was getting a different error. Worked great (for about 500 miles) Now even the dealer can't figure out what's wrong.

The switching was to see if the error followed one of the sensors. You would get a slightly different code (intake vs. exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! I think I'll swap the positions this weekend just to check the code. I would like to clean them while they're out too but can't find any reliable info on how to do it. Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I not sure the computer can is enough pressure.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
I not sure the computer can is enough pressure.
Is it an issue of pressure or surface buildup? ie do I need to push air through it to clean or will a cleaner like brakleen remove the contaminants and fix the issue?

EDIT: found some old posts saying you can clean by soaking them in unleaded then dipping in oil before reinserting. Any vailidity to this? http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=37935

Last edited by mmurray; 11-08-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Engine cover does not need to come off, well on the N52 like mine with the silver top it doesn't. Just need to disconnect the Vanos solenoids (taking note of which connector belongs to which solenoid), then remove the two bolts and finally carefully pull each solenoid out. Just be careful of that plastic spacer which tends to slide off and fall into the depths of the engine bay!! Cleaning methods vary, but I figured clean petrol will dissolve any oil gunk that has built up over time and free it of this quite effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Is it an issue of pressure or surface buildup? ie do I need to push air through it to clean or will a cleaner like brakleen remove the contaminants and fix the issue?

EDIT: found some old posts saying you can clean by soaking them in unleaded then dipping in oil before reinserting. Any vailidity to this? http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=37935
The oil trick I mentioned simply because the whole purpose of the Vanos solenoids is to deliver oil to the Vanos pistons, so by dipping them into fresh oil is just my way of "priming" them before they are put back and are not dry as such. Can't hurt to do this if anything...

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I popped out the solenoids and cleaned them in gas, then primed with oil and switched the places of the two. I swapped out the O-rings as well because why not, I'm already there. Altogether fairly easy, thanks to walkthroughs here.

But once I plugged back in and restarted, I heard a little clicking from the engine. I had changed my oil + filter as well, and once I took a quick spin around the block it seemed a little more subdued, but persisted.

Any reason for this?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
So I popped out the solenoids and cleaned them in gas, then primed with oil and switched the places of the two. I swapped out the O-rings as well because why not, I'm already there. Altogether fairly easy, thanks to walkthroughs here.

But once I plugged back in and restarted, I heard a little clicking from the engine. I had changed my oil + filter as well, and once I took a quick spin around the block it seemed a little more subdued, but persisted.

Any reason for this?
How long had the engine been off before your started it? A few days? A week? My lifters make a RACKET when my car is off for week or so. It's the lifters. Because the car sat for so long the head was starved for oil. It takes a minute or so before it's back to normal.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The engine had been on to reposition the car in the driveway, but wasn't really driven for a day or so. I did change the oil right after doing the solenoid clean then fired up right after. Maybe it just needed a minute to push it through? Hoping tomorrow morning it'll idle fine

EDIT: drove to work, all seems fine. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
The engine had been on to reposition the car in the driveway, but wasn't really driven for a day or so. I did change the oil right after doing the solenoid clean then fired up right after. Maybe it just needed a minute to push it through? Hoping tomorrow morning it'll idle fine

EDIT: drove to work, all seems fine. Thanks!
You know what? When I changed the oil earlier this year I had exactly the same thing happen!! Well, not sure if the sound was exactly the same, but when I started the car for the first time there was a strange other noise, like a faint rattle. After driving for a few minutes to get the engine up to temperature and so that I could get an oil level reading I went back home and was very concerned when still hearing this noise as I brought the car into my garage.

But, after topping up the oil and I reckon with the engine standing for a few minutes, when I restarted the engine it was fine again. So all I can think is it takes a few runs for the oil to start flowing properly through the new oil filter etc. Last year when I cleaned the Vanos solenoids I simply replaced them without changing the oil, and did not of course have this happen.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
You know what? When I changed the oil earlier this year I had exactly the same thing happen!! Well, not sure if the sound was exactly the same, but when I started the car for the first time there was a strange other noise, like a faint rattle. After driving for a few minutes to get the engine up to temperature and so that I could get an oil level reading I went back home and was very concerned when still hearing this noise as I brought the car into my garage.

But, after topping up the oil and I reckon with the engine standing for a few minutes, when I restarted the engine it was fine again. So all I can think is it takes a few runs for the oil to start flowing properly through the new oil filter etc. Last year when I cleaned the Vanos solenoids I simply replaced them without changing the oil, and did not of course have this happen.
Yep must've been the oil change after having let the car sit for a day - never happened to me before but all seemed fine this morning on the way in.

I did have a little unrelated scare though - pulled hard with an e60 m5 and wondered why the heck it felt so rough... before remembering my winter set is Q rated and I was way past that limit oops

Appreciate 0