E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to get the most out of HiFi stereo?

11-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
joepa150
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Silver 328i

How to get the most out of HiFi stereo?

Any tips on getting the most out of the 10 speaker HiFi Stereo that came in my 2008 328i?

Its sounds so weak I am wondering if it is working properly. This is one the weakess sounding factory stereo I have heard. Most factory stereos have more and clearer bass without subwoofers.

I tried adjusting the bass and treble. I also tried to put some forward bias but that didn't work either.

Should I increase the bass through my computer on each song and then burn them onto a cd or memory stick?

I don't want to upgrade anything unless it is very inexpensive and easy to do and makes the stereo sound soo much better.

Its just hard for me to believe a luxury brand such as BMW would put something this weak in their car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911595
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you bias the fader foward you can get more bass

If you bias the fader foward you can get more bass.
A little more that is.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The HiFi "amp" is basically deck power times 6. The woofers underseat are 2 ohm, which is the only reason they are spec'd at "40W" but it's just deck power. The F and R are 4 ohm in order to make the bass louder, so they are like 18W in reality. My 328xit came with HiFi and it sucked ass.

You should listen to a 2010 with base Stereo. Makes HiFi seem much less sucky.

I'm on record as saying that there aren't any GREAT incremental upgrades. A speaker upgrade for the mids and tweeters helps, but it doesn't fundamentally change things. Our Level One upgrades the front 6 speakers and amp at minimum, and is a HUGE improvement, but Level One upgrades start at $1395 not installed.

If you upgrade the fronts with less efficient speakers, you can get more out of the underseat woofers as a result. They can't be very inefficent or the 18 watts won't get it done. We have a front speaker system for E90 sedans and another E92 coupes, which do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
joepa150
Private
Rep

I have a Sedan.

I guess I am going to have to live with it. It is not that important to me to spend a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
I have a Sedan.

I guess I am going to have to live with it. It is not that important to me to spend a lot of money.
So what amount would feel right in your situation?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
joepa150
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
So what amount would feel right in your situation?
I don't think the amount I would say would be even close to possible. If I ask myself, How important is it and how much would I be will to spend on upgrading my stereo? I would probably say a total of $200. lol And this would have to be a noticable improvement.

I not an audiophile anymore. When I was young I had the $1000 amps, upgraded speakers and so much bass you could hear me coming from blocks away. It was cool and I respect that. I wouldn't mind having a kickass stereo with some bass (not earthshattering) but at this point in my life, I am not willing to spend much money on it. 85% of the time I am in vehicle, I have to play my music on the low end because of my family.

Thanks for trying to help but I am not in the market to spend money on upgrading my stereo.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm not actually trying to help you as much as i am trying to understand. An improvement which makes no difference isn't an improvement, of course. I run into this a great deal - I guess a lot of people have paid for things that didn't make any tangible difference in the past.

For $200, a set of replacement front speakers would definitely make an obvious and tangible difference, but you'd have to install them yourself.

Live with it for a while and see what you think. None of us have to be an audiophile, or own $1000 amps, to enjoy better sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I'm not actually trying to help you as much as i am trying to understand. An improvement which makes no difference isn't an improvement, of course. I run into this a great deal - I guess a lot of people have paid for things that didn't make any tangible difference in the past.

For $200, a set of replacement front speakers would definitely make an obvious and tangible difference, but you'd have to install them yourself.

Live with it for a while and see what you think. None of us have to be an audiophile, or own $1000 amps, to enjoy better sound.
Do you guys offer PNP front speakers for $200 or close to that price. I would be very interested if so.
Appreciate 0