F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Advice on changing cars?
GetBMWParts

11-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Advice on changing cars?

I recently ordered a 328 without technology package or lighting package. I figured I wanted to keep the monthly at about $500, and got it to $490. I don't need navigation all that much, and of course no one really needs xenons. However, I'm starting to think I will regret not having them--maybe not at first, but by a year or so into the lease. I was wondering if it would be possible to contact the dealer and change it (I would assume they have a similarly equipped one in stock or nearby, and the one I ordered is still on the ship), and if so, whether or not I should.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the additions would bring the monthly up by more than $80 or so (36/12k, don't have the exact numbers but currently something like $45,500 MSRP and $40,500 cap). The original $500 budget was fairly arbitrary, but at the same time I don't hate having more money in my pocket. Do you think it's worth paying extra for those two? My boyfriend thinks it's not since I'll always just want newer and better stuff, but nav and xenons have been around for so long now that it almost feels odd not having them.

Last edited by Biorin; 11-22-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

I recently ordered a 335i myself and did not get NAV.

Xenons is a must-have for me though...but plenty of aftermarket kits if you ever get the itch. However, if you just ordered your car, it may not be too late to add this to the order (ask your CA)...should add only about $10-15 to your monthly payment.

As for the NAV, it's not worth the value to me. I'll maybe only use it 10% of the time, plus I prefer Google maps on my iPhone. On a recent trip to Boston and NY city, my iphone was far more helpful and accurate than any NAV system I've used in different cars (BMW, MB, Infiniti,etc)

ISO of Manual 535/550/335
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

If you're going to be doing a lot of night driving the xenons are probably going to be worth it to you. I don't have the lighting package and as I take 1-2 road trips of 400 miles+ RT per month it kind of sucks. Standard lights are, well, standard.

As far as the nav goes - the nav screen is beautiful. The non-nav little 6" screen looks a little cheap IMO and the tech package HUD is absolutely wonderful if you use an iPod or the hard drive. You can select songs through the HUD and keep your eyes on the road. I'd say if you're buying new just go for it. You're locked in to this thing for 3 years anyways, may as well make the most of it.

When I was looking to buy my car (I got a used one) my ONLY requirement aside from a "standard" color was tech package. The HUD is just too cool for me to forgo.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Typically, $1,000 equates to $20 per month for lease.
So xenon+nav= $3,000~4,000 (I think?) = $60~80.

For me Nav and xenon is a must, and they come before anything else.
There is a significant difference in lighting quality in xenon vs halogen, and I like the tech package because of the i-drive, not because of the navigation system. Without an i-drive, you miss alot more than just a navigation system.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I would definitely agree with others here that the Xenons/Lighting package is definitely worth the money. They work extremely well and look awesome.

The nav... it's a harder decision. One thing to consider is that the Tech Pkg (or standalone Nav, if you want to save some $$$ by skipping HUD) is more than just maps. You get a bigger screen, much nicer software, streaming bluetooth audio, BMW apps, traffic, and some other stuff. Ultimately, I decided that it was worth it for all of this extra stuff, even if I don't use the actual maps that much. The Tech Pkg is basically the standalone nav option + $1000 for the heads up display. If you are trying to save money, you can skip the package and you'll have everything except the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input! The whole reason I originally ordered a car was because I didn't want nav and all the cars with driver assistance had it, so if I want to change it out for one with xenons I'll have to take nav as well. I went ahead and asked my CA to look into the available options, and hopefully there will be something in stock with similar options and not in a hideous color.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Did you get the extra seat cushion option for that bony butt?
      10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Did you get the extra seat cushion option for that bony butt?
They didn't have it, so I just got fat instead. Works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
They didn't have it, so I just got fat instead. Works like a charm.
Touche.